Shock From trunk latch while charging? - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4sallypat

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Shock From trunk latch while charging?

This happened to me, I was able to replicate a couple times and then it stopped. Now it has happened to my girlfriend, so I need to find a resolution. Has anybody had an issue like this? Seems like a grounding issue. I’m an hour from the dealer, so I’d like to be armed with information, otherwise it would be a wasted trip.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:17 PM

Are you using one of those cheap and dangerous level 2 chargers with no ground plug just two hots and a neutral?

If not check there outlet you are using is properly grounded.

When charging an electric vehicle the ground is passed through to the vehicle from the station for safety earth grounding during charging. If a neutral is used instead of a ground the neutral could generate a charge on the vehicle chassis, creating a potential safety hazard upon contact with the vehicle during or after charging.

A quality safe charger will not offer an option that has a plug without a real ground connection (vs. neutral).

Check out Amazing E if you want low cost levelm2 that is safe.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 AM

Yes, this ^^^ when you have a missing ground, this can happen to you.

I work for education and we use tons of Bretford charge / sync carts for student mobile devices and had a situation where the ground pin was missing from the cart's power plug.
The teacher moved the cart while touching the grounded door and got electrocuted, went to the hospital and checked out fine.
Using a DMM, we found over 50V of AC power was being transferred from the groundless cart to the door.
Quite scary!
The Gadgeteer likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page