Charging and Home Power bill - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Charging and Home Power bill

Hello,

Showed my new 2018 Honda Clarity to a friend. He liked and had a few question, with one I could not answer. How much would my home power bill increase?
I've only had the car since February, so I'm not sure. I plug in at home and usually charge for about 8 hours. As of now, I'm saving close to $80 dollars in gas per month. wondering how much of that would be needed to pay for the extra power to charge battery everyday.
I have IID here in California, which is cheaper then Edison and pay $0.1169 KWH.
anyone track power usage from before and after purchasing a Honda Clarity?

thank you
hamr4267 likes this.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 PM

$6 a day for me in SoCal

I figured I drive for the full EV range 6 times a week on average. The price of gas I used is $3.75. I charge my car at night for 12 cents a KWh. I used my old car at 27mph to factor in my gas mileage if I didn't have the Clarity. I figured I saved $6/day (KW vs Gas) when I drove the full ev range or about $1800/year.

My Electric usage doubled, but my bill did not because my usage was mostly at night. I have a level 2 charger so I can charge in 2hr 5 min. Before my clairty the usage was really low at $63 per month. My bill after my car the first month doubled to about $125. However, after that I changed to SCE Time of Use plan allowing me the 12 cents per KWh at night and my bill went to $93.

As you can see there are a log of factors. I hope you can deduce the answer to your question out of all of this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:00 PM

I have owned my Clarity since Sept 1 and have 8000 miles on it. I have used a level two charger for the past three months. I have a detached garage that was built years after the main house and it has it's own meter. Therefore my electric usage is easy to figure. My bill has gone up about $30 per month. My electric rate is $.083 per kwh.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:03 AM

Your electric rate is .1169
If you charge from 0 EV range to a full charge it is about 14KW
A full charge cost you $0.1169 x 14 = $1.63

If you get 40 miles on average out of a charge then each mile costs 1.63/40=0.04075

Just multiply 0.04075 by the number of EV miles a month you drive to get your monthly electric cost.

So if you drive 500 Electric miles a month and the rest gas then the amount your electric bill was impacted is 500 x 0.04075=$20.375 which rounds to $20.38.

your Clarity is a money saver even when using gas because you are still doing better mpg than most vehicles on the road today.

Since the electric range on average is roughly how far the Clarity will run on a gallon of gas then the choice of which is cheaper is easy. As long as a gallon of gas is more than a full charge cost of $1.63 then electric is cheaper.

For my case electric is almost .17 so savings is barely there with NJ cheap gas but I hope to have solar power in the near future.
hamr4267 likes this.

Last edited by The Gadgeteer; 03-11-2019 at 01:08 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheat17 View Post
I figured I drive for the full EV range 6 times a week on average. The price of gas I used is $3.75. I charge my car at night for 12 cents a KWh. I used my old car at 27mph to factor in my gas mileage if I didn't have the Clarity. I figured I saved $6/day (KW vs Gas) when I drove the full ev range or about $1800/year.

My Electric usage doubled, but my bill did not because my usage was mostly at night. I have a level 2 charger so I can charge in 2hr 5 min. Before my clairty the usage was really low at $63 per month. My bill after my car the first month doubled to about $125. However, after that I changed to SCE Time of Use plan allowing me the 12 cents per KWh at night and my bill went to $93.

As you can see there are a log of factors. I hope you can deduce the answer to your question out of all of this.
This is very useful @dwheat17 !

I too feel I have saved on fuel costs per month from my ICE: $200 to my Clarity: zero $.

In the same SCE territory, can you tell me if the SCE TOU can be applied to the whole house instead of a separate meter ?

I run only 120V Level 1 charging and my bill only went up $25 the past 2 months...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
This is very useful @dwheat17 !

I too feel I have saved on fuel costs per month from my ICE: $200 to my Clarity: zero $.

In the same SCE territory, can you tell me if the SCE TOU can be applied to the whole house instead of a separate meter ?

I run only 120V Level 1 charging and my bill only went up $25 the past 2 months...
I believe you can no longer get SCE TOU-D-A rates. I am grandfathered in for 5 years. I believe you need to go to TOU-PRIME and then it is not as advantageous for solar, but just as advantageous for charging a car a night.
4sallypat likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your reply's. I'll keep an eye out on the increase in usage.

I have ordered a Level 2 charger ( Jekayka ) and will have the 240 electrical plug installed in a few weeks

Would I be saving even more money charging in 3 hours or less with a Level 2 - 32amp NEMA 14-50 7.68KW

then the Level 1 charger that came with the car? not sure of lower rates in the middle of the night.

I'm sure more questions to come.

Happy Honda Clarity owner
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Using a L2 charger will cut down on charge time, thus power draw due to better efficiency of charger, thus reducing the total wattage drawn from the grid.

So yes, money will be saved using a L2 charger but the cost of the L2 charger and 240V installation to pay for itself will take many years....
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Using a L2 charger will cut down on charge time, thus power draw due to better efficiency of charger, thus reducing the total wattage drawn from the grid.

So yes, money will be saved using a L2 charger but the cost of the L2 charger and 240V installation to pay for itself will take many years....
I didn't even know that it would save money. I had too many 14 hour charges where I got in my car the next morning with not even close to a full charge. Since I drive 50+ miles most days it was a no-brainer.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 AM

240V is more efficient as it delivers more wattage per hour and the conversion is not lost in terms of heat. Triple phase is even more....

Have you seen a single phase 240V A/C unit compared to a 120V ? The 240 will cool the room quicker and use less watts compared to the inefficient 120V.

120V is less efficient but since all of North America, Japan and a few other countries still use it well it's become a household standard.

No wonder the rest of the world uses 240V standard.....
Kerbe likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page