Replacing battery - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Anh

Replacing battery

I have an interesting thought. What if I replace my PHEV battery (47 range) with the EV battery(89 range) wonder if it will work.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:08 AM

How would you do that without voiding the 8yr / 10yr warranty ?

Why didn't you just get a pure EV car like the Tesla ??
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Anh

I guess you don’t think far ahead. Unless there’s a 500+ range, I won’t be switching over to full EV. You see, during the snow storm, the battery depleted quicker than ever. As much as 40-50% less on range, then as soon as you start driving, it will run out if juice faster than estimated. For example, if you drive 30 miles in a mid 20 temperatures, you will use as much as 40 miles of battery. Now let say if there’s a power outage and you can’t get power for couple days, how are you going to charge your car. Now, few argue that you can use the extended range Tesla but if I spent 35K over on a car, I like to drive in comfort such as heater to keep me warm or A/C to keep me cool, after all, you want to enjoy the car, not cut back.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:23 AM

>>What if I replace my PHEV battery (47 range) with the EV battery(89 range) wonder if it will work.

This would be an interesting vehicle. Is there any possible way to make the higher capacity battery fit without using up the trunk space? It would require quite a few other changes to the software, the battery cooling system, the onboard charger, and possibly even the suspension (depending on the battery weight difference). Go for it!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles777 View Post
>>What if I replace my PHEV battery (47 range) with the EV battery(89 range) wonder if it will work.

This would be an interesting vehicle. Is there any possible way to make the higher capacity battery fit without using up the trunk space? It would require quite a few other changes to the software, the battery cooling system, the onboard charger, and possibly even the suspension (depending on the battery weight difference). Go for it!
Yes, Honda already have that planning they are waiting until the second generation of clarity they will release a new Honda clarity with the upgrade longer range batteries and some small change so save your money it will coming.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh View Post
I guess you don’t think far ahead. Unless there’s a 500+ range, I won’t be switching over to full EV. You see, during the snow storm, the battery depleted quicker than ever. As much as 40-50% less on range, then as soon as you start driving, it will run out if juice faster than estimated. For example, if you drive 30 miles in a mid 20 temperatures, you will use as much as 40 miles of battery. Now let say if there’s a power outage and you can’t get power for couple days, how are you going to charge your car. Now, few argue that you can use the extended range Tesla but if I spent 35K over on a car, I like to drive in comfort such as heater to keep me warm or A/C to keep me cool, after all, you want to enjoy the car, not cut back.
No I guess not.
i don't live in a snowy part of the world.
Mine is warm So Cal beaches and palm trees even in winter.

Unlike you, I get 120% battery range (60 miles per charge) because I don't use the climate controls.
If there was a power outage, the ICE kicks in an away I go.
That's why I got a PHEV.

You should sell your Clarity if you are not happy or wait for many decades for the perfect range car you want.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:52 AM

You can indeed fit the larger battery pack in the Clarity PHEV. As long as you get rid of a few things like the gas tank, exhaust system, etc. That's probably the main reason you don't see longer range PHEV's. You would also likely need to update the BMS and other software so it would know about the larger battery.

And as an aside, I rented (thru Turo) a BMW i3 is the San Jose area to visit some friends during a weekend that a huge storm hit. Power went out to Morgan Hills (while I was using the DCFC) and much of the surrounding areas. Charging stations in Gilroy were up and running where I topped off, but all the gas stations in town were coned off - they had lost power and couldn't pump gas.

And needing a 500+ mile EV? How often do you really travel 350+ miles in winter/snow without stopping? Larger battery packs are much more efficient on long trips than the range loss percentage you see on small packs like those in the Clarity (and A/C is essentially a non-issue in summer). A robust charging network eliminates the need to pay for (and haul around) huge battery packs that carry both a weight and space penalty. A Model 3 will add up to 75 miles of range in about 5 minutes with the new V3 Supercharger. A 10-15 minute rest room/leg stretch break will likely easily get you another 2-3 hours of driving time. A few would consider that an inconvenience, most would not.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNV513 View Post
Yes, Honda already have that planning they are waiting until the second generation of clarity they will release a new Honda clarity with the upgrade longer range batteries and some small change so save your money it will coming.
Any idea when those might come to the real world?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh View Post
I have yet to see a 35k Tesla. I do know a couple of folks who have the 3 and one is a little over 50 and the other owner said his was just north of 60.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page