Hybrid battery - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Hybrid battery

New clarity hybrid plug-in, when I charge battery useing 120vac charger battery will stop charging at ev range of 43 miles I thought it should be 47 miles, what are others experiencing? I get this info from the honda link app.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Update......
Took to dealer yesterday to have it checked out by service technician, they could not find anything wrong, they did a reset on system but it still says ev of 43 miles at 100% charge. They said to drive it for awhile keep a eye on it for any changes in future, I am not very happy about this.
I would like to read what other owners are experiencing on this. Do you get ev of 47 miles when 100% charged?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 04:57 PM

Differences in EV range

Hi I have seen a similar thing only in reverse.. for the first week or so I was getting 47 miles displayed for a full battery. In the past two weeks it has been around 57 and a few times it has gone to 64 miles. I do seem to get this mileage out when I drive it. I wonder if the warmer weather is making the battery work better. It will be interesting to see how this fluctuates through the year. Maybe give it a few more charging cycles to see if it is matter of “breaking in” the battery. The Clarity PHEV is so new there seems to be a gap in knowledge available out there. Even from Honda.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:27 AM

I have driven my new Clarity Plug in Hybrid from February until now (so thru winter and spring) in KY. The total charge will depend on weather and outside temperature. I don't think I was able to charge all the way up to 47 miles in winter and now in spring / summer it gets a to around 49 miles sometimes.
The charge miles showing aren't all that accurate anyway (depending on whether you do highway or streets and your driving style).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Maybe there is a break in period for the battery or how warm temperature is, it seems that every one is at a learning stage since the clarity plug in came out even the honda service is trying to figure it all out it seems. I ran the battery down to where the H.V. Charge mode took over I didn’t even have to start H.V. Charge mode it started on its own when the battery was around 30% I plugged it in that night and instead of 42% @ full charge it got to 45% but the weather is warmer now so I think maybe everything is as it should be.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:04 PM
tom

The estimated range is based on the history of your driving. Here in Missouri, I only got 40 miles of electric range in March when I bought it, but now in the summer, regularly get over 60 miles electric range. My best is 67 eMiles on a charge.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Tom my milage is going up as time passes it went from 42 to 45 but I only have 735 total miles on car..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:54 PM

Is this your first electric car? I ask because EV enthusiasts refer to that gauge as the "guess-o-meter." It anticipates how many miles you can drive based on past experience but has no way to accurately predict what you're GOING to get.

Range depends on a lot of factors, including temperature, use of a/c or heater, driving style, if you're going uphill or downhill, and probably some other factors I'm forgetting. I once had my guess-o-meter (on my Nissan LEAF, all-electric EV) tell me that I could go only 18 more miles, and I was 25 miles from home. I drove a couple of miles and the GOM read "20 miles" of range left. I drove a couple more miles and it said I had 22 miles of range. Somehow I was GAINING range the farther I drove. I finally realized that I was going from an elevation of about 700 feet to about sea level and was coasting downhill much of the time, recharging the battery and altering the guess on my range. I got home with about 12 miles of range left on the GOM.

So, anyway, don't take that range thing too seriously.

Jan
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 AM

More concerning here is the dealership didn't know about the range being an estimate. Just shows most dealers spend little to no time training their techs on PHEV technology.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrnad View Post
Is this your first electric car? I ask because EV enthusiasts refer to that gauge as the "guess-o-meter." It anticipates how many miles you can drive based on past experience but has no way to accurately predict what you're GOING to get.

Range depends on a lot of factors, including temperature, use of a/c or heater, driving style, if you're going uphill or downhill, and probably some other factors I'm forgetting. I once had my guess-o-meter (on my Nissan LEAF, all-electric EV) tell me that I could go only 18 more miles, and I was 25 miles from home. I drove a couple of miles and the GOM read "20 miles" of range left. I drove a couple more miles and it said I had 22 miles of range. Somehow I was GAINING range the farther I drove. I finally realized that I was going from an elevation of about 700 feet to about sea level and was coasting downhill much of the time, recharging the battery and altering the guess on my range. I got home with about 12 miles of range left on the GOM.

So, anyway, don't take that range thing too seriously.

Jan
^^^ THIS is so true = GUESS O METER

Tags
hybrid battery

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page