Battery charge percentage - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Now that's it's warmer here in MI it seems like when I charge up my 2018 Honda Clarity it's showing 100% which is good but it shows that I only have 43 mile range. I kind of recall once it started getting warmer it would show 100% charge and I would have 47 - 50 mile range and this was last week.

It's showing 100% but only 43 mile range! I have a Juicebox Pro 32 and it's inside of my garage and I don't think the issue is with the charger. I even used my 110 charger cable that came with the car and it doesn't give me the range I think I should get.

Any suggestions? Or maybe I should take it back to the dealership? Also, the temp last night was 40 and I did show 100% but only 43 mile range.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzctl0 View Post
Now that's it's warmer here in MI it seems like when I charge up my 2018 Honda Clarity it's showing 100% which is good but it shows that I only have 43 mile range. I kind of recall once it started getting warmer it would show 100% charge and I would have 47 - 50 mile range and this was last week.

It's showing 100% but only 43 mile range! I have a Juicebox Pro 32 and it's inside of my garage and I don't think the issue is with the charger. I even used my 110 charger cable that came with the car and it doesn't give me the range I think I should get.

Any suggestions? Or maybe I should take it back to the dealership? Also, the temp last night was 40 and I did show 100% but only 43 mile range.
The range estimate is based on recent driving history, and many factors other that ambient temperature can reduce this. Highway driving, fast starts/stops, etc will reduce efficiency - physics is physics. Driving conditions/behavior that would reduce mpg when running on gas will reduce mi/kWh and therefore range. The fuel powering your vehicle makes no difference.

43 is actually fairly close to the EPA range rating of 47. The 47 mile rating is derived in laboratory conditions and is a mix of low speed freeway and urban driving at 70 degrees.

Probably more info than most want, but the EPA application witht he test results can be found here:
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/displ...d=40312&flag=1

A few key numbers:
Honda elected to use the 2-cycle test format (and the standard 70% adjustment) to derive the range ratings.

Charge depleting UDDS (Urban or City rating)
Recharge event energy (@ 240 V and includes charging losses): 14.601 kWh
Charge Depleting Range (Actual miles): 72.265
Charge depleting Highway
Recharge event energy (@ 240 V and includes charging losses): 14.485 kWh
Charge Depleting Range (Actual miles): 61.422
More info on the range tests:
https://greentransportation.info/ev-...estimates.html

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 01:24 PM

Garage
I think the 99% is only an estimate, so sometimes it says 100% charge is a full charge and sometimes is 99%. Does anyone know if I can set the charge to stop at 80%? My engine sometimes starts up when the battery is fully charged and when I apply the brakes or engage the regen pedal it triggers the engines to start. I understand that this is suppose to be normal as the energy that the regen has generated has nowhere to go so the engine comes on for some reason. The problem is that I live on a hill and when I fully charged the batter I had to go downhill and that starts the engine, very annoying and pollutes the environment.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwei View Post
I think the 99% is only an estimate, so sometimes it says 100% charge is a full charge and sometimes is 99%. Does anyone know if I can set the charge to stop at 80%? My engine sometimes starts up when the battery is fully charged and when I apply the brakes or engage the regen pedal it triggers the engines to start. I understand that this is suppose to be normal as the energy that the regen has generated has nowhere to go so the engine comes on for some reason. The problem is that I live on a hill and when I fully charged the batter I had to go downhill and that starts the engine, very annoying and pollutes the environment.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Maybe you have tried this already but if you can start the hill descent slowly and keep the speed very low you can usually keep the engine from coming on. Regen doesn't operate below about 5 mph and as long as you keep at a slow speed you can press the brakes as hard as you want and it will only use the friction brakes. This is something you can observe on the power display and with some practice you can see how slow you need to go to avoid regen. Of course only when you can do this safely i.e. no cars behind you.

As for charging to 80% the only way to do this is by using scheduled charging. Keep track of a couple of charging sessions to determine the typical SOC% per hour. It will vary depending on conditions but it doesn't have to be that exact. When you have that number you can figure out how many hours it will take to charge to 80%. For me using level 1 it's around 7.5% per hour, so if I am at say 35% then it's 80-35=45, divided by 7.5 = 6 hours.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page