Just had my battery capacity test done - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sailorman

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Just had my battery capacity test done

(I posted this same thread on the Inside EV forum as well, so may have others analysis already)

I bought my car at Kirkland Honda, I have nothing but good things to say about this dealership, the whole experience has been great.

I just had the battery check / battery capacity test done by the dealership. I will attempt to load the 6 pages of data, and if anyone can take that data and tell me what the KWH capacity is or any other useful info I would be appreciative.

I Love driving this car.

I like driving it so much, I have forgotten about my nit picks such as the side mirrors not having auto dimming, or no adjustable lumbar support etc.

Steering is light and precise, plenty of zip around town and accelerating on freeway onramps.

Honda Quality, and with the no sales tax here in Washington for the fist 25 k and then the federal tax credit, over 10k off the negotiated sales price, a no brainer for anyone looking for a sedan of the same size such as the Accord or Camry.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Glad to hear your dealer (service dept) was so cool in getting the report for you.

As for the battery capacity, overall 55Ah is what is considered new and anything less than 36Ah is considered time for replacement.

Since the battery has a much longer warranty (8yr/100K) compared to the rest of the car (3yr/36K), you can take solace in the battery pack lasting quite a bit longer....

For those in CA, the battery warranty is even sweeter (10yr/150K).

I am so happy with my '18 Clarity that I plan on keeping her until the wheels fall off...

BTW, I don't miss the lumbar support and dimming side mirrors - the Clarity does the perfect job of comfortable transport better than my BMW that has all of the options, but can't compare to zero fuel driving of the Clarity..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 4SallyPat, I will be keeping the Clarity for the same length of time. By the way, Washington State is one of the states that have the same warranty as California, it really covers an amazing amount of systems / parts, though with Honda quality, doubt if I will have use it much if ever.
4sallypat likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman View Post
Thanks 4SallyPat, I will be keeping the Clarity for the same length of time. By the way, Washington State is one of the states that have the same warranty as California, it really covers an amazing amount of systems / parts, though with Honda quality, doubt if I will have use it much if ever.
That's interesting, usually it's ZEV states that require longer warranties on EV parts. Washington seems to be quite EV friendly compared to many other states. I wonder if they are planning to adopt ZEV standards like Colorado did last year.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
That's interesting, usually it's ZEV states that require longer warranties on EV parts. Washington seems to be quite EV friendly compared to many other states. I wonder if they are planning to adopt ZEV standards like Colorado did last year.
Colorado hasn't adopted the ZEV standards. What was passed was a resolution instructing CDOT to consider adopting ZEV standards. However, Colorado does have a $5,000 tax credit for all EV purchases, even for GM and Tesla. Colorado's credit phases out at the same time for all manufacturers.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obermd View Post
Colorado hasn't adopted the ZEV standards. What was passed was a resolution instructing CDOT to consider adopting ZEV standards. However, Colorado does have a $5,000 tax credit for all EV purchases, even for GM and Tesla. Colorado's credit phases out at the same time for all manufacturers.
I'm just going by what I have read. Apparently it goes into effect in 2023 but manufacturers get some credit by adopting earlier than that.

The Colorado Sun
August 16, 2019

"Colorado’s Air Quality Control Commission voted to approve the state’s adoption of the zero-emissions vehicle mandate on Friday morning after a three-day hearing.....Colorado becomes the 10th state to join California’s ZEV program, and the latest in a decade...The ZEV mandate requires auto makers to sell more zero-emission vehicles starting in 2023. State Air Pollution Control Division staff researched the number and estimated that this would require auto makers to make ZEVs 4.9% of the cars sold in Colorado in 2023 and growing to 6.1% by 2030.."

The Denver Post
August 16, 2019

"Colorado air commissioners voted 8-1 on Friday to adopt a zero-emission standard requiring that at least 5% of automakers’ vehicles available for sale by 2023 be electric....Colorado’s new requirement doesn’t force drivers to buy zero-emission vehicles, which include plug-in hybrids as well as fully electric cars. It requires automakers to increase sales of these ZEVs from the current 2.6% of cars sold in Colorado to 6.23% by 2030.....Automakers supported the measure because it gives them “early action” credit for vehicles sold before 2023."

Last edited by 2002; 02-14-2020 at 03:49 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman View Post
(I posted this same thread on the Inside EV forum as well, so may have others analysis already)

I bought my car at Kirkland Honda, I have nothing but good things to say about this dealership, the whole experience has been great.

I just had the battery check / battery capacity test done by the dealership. I will attempt to load the 6 pages of data, and if anyone can take that data and tell me what the KWH capacity is or any other useful info I would be appreciative.

I Love driving this car.
What did they charge you for the test if anything? Did you just ask for a battery capacity test of something more specific?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemell View Post
What did they charge you for the test if anything? Did you just ask for a battery capacity test of something more specific?
Lee,

I was not charged, though I offered to pay. Apparently I was the first Clarity owner to request this, so it was basically a training opportunity for the two mechanics they have there that are certified to work on the Clarity.

I plan on getting a yearly oil change and checkup each year at Kirkland Honda, and will get this check done each time so as to track available energy storage. I will find out then what extra charge there will be for them to do this for me.

By the way, I was not able to load the 6 pages of data here because the limit is 20Kb per page, had no problem on the InsideEv site, so if anyone wants to see the data, you can find it over there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page