Just charged my 2019 Plug-In Hybrid - it says 38 miles for EV range - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Just charged my 2019 Plug-In Hybrid - it says 38 miles for EV range

Hello -

I just got a 2019 Plug In Hybrid last week. My salesman is a pleasant fellow but not very technical so I thought I would consult this forum.

For the moment I am using Level 1 charging as my home's electrical service panel will not accommodate a Level 2 charger without an expensive upgrade. I charged the Clarity overnight and was surprised the Honda Link app says the battery is "100%" and lists just 38 miles as the EV range.

It was about 40 degrees overnight - and it is only about 45 degrees now at 7 a.m. Is this reduced milage estimate due to temperature? I am aware that temperature can have an effect, I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be so pronounced since my climate is more temperate. (I live in Santa Barbara CA - 2 hours north of LA)

Is this lower estimate of 38 miles within the 'norm' given the temperature? Any other thoughts / comments would be appreciated by this non-technical, very new newbie!

Thanks!
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Hi -

This is my post and after a little caffeine I see '4sallypat' has a similar post just two days ago - 02-10. It looks like comments and replies to that post help me get a perspective on my newbie's question.

As SNL's Emily Latrelle said: "Never mind!"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:39 PM

mine says the same thing , I thought was to 47 miles ?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMeta4 View Post
For the moment I am using Level 1 charging as my home's electrical service panel will not accommodate a Level 2 charger without an expensive upgrade.
There are rebates available in most states for level 2 installation as well as a federal tax credit, which comes and goes but is currently available again. So you might want to factor that into the cost equation if you haven't already.

That being said, even a high range PHEV like Clarity can usually stay fully charged with just level 1. There might be occasions when you don't have enough time to fully charge, but that will likely be somewhat rare depending on your driving schedule. When it does happen yes you do use some gasoline that you might not have used if you had level 2, but the cost of that slightly extra gas usage is usually minimal compared to the cost of installing level 2, even with rebates. You may want to drive the car for a while and see how often it happens that level 1 leaves you short before deciding on upgrading.

Level 2 does do better than level 1 for preconditioning, meaning running the heater or AC prior to leaving while you are still plugged in. With level 2 you can charge and precondition at the same time, whereas with level 1 you can only do one at a time. But for Southern California that probably won't be a big factor.

Not needing 240V is one of the selling points about PHEV that doesn't get mentioned often enough in my opinion. Longer range without having to charge is what everyone talks about, which is understandable. But it's also an advantage to be able to plug into a regular outlet and not have to install a 240V outlet. With an EV you pretty much have to install level 2 if you want to avoid having to charge somewhere, although that depends on the driver as well, even some EV owners do fine with level 1, but I think that is not as common.

One final point, if you haven't done so already find out what other outlets are on the same circuit that you are using to charge your Clarity. You should avoid using anything on the other outlets while charging. Small items like an LED desk lamp, etc. is probably okay, but certainly not a power tool or anything like. Don't go by just the description on the panel, those are too general, you need to test each outlet in your house to find out what circuit it is on. This only has to be done once and is valuable information that will come in handy for all types of situations. People are often surprised when they find out what other outlets are shared with the charging outlet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMeta4 View Post
Hello -

I just got a 2019 Plug In Hybrid last week. My salesman is a pleasant fellow but not very technical so I thought I would consult this forum.

For the moment I am using Level 1 charging as my home's electrical service panel will not accommodate a Level 2 charger without an expensive upgrade. I charged the Clarity overnight and was surprised the Honda Link app says the battery is "100%" and lists just 38 miles as the EV range.

It was about 40 degrees overnight - and it is only about 45 degrees now at 7 a.m. Is this reduced milage estimate due to temperature? I am aware that temperature can have an effect, I wasn't necessarily expecting it to be so pronounced since my climate is more temperate. (I live in Santa Barbara CA - 2 hours north of LA)

Is this lower estimate of 38 miles within the 'norm' given the temperature? Any other thoughts / comments would be appreciated by this non-technical, very new newbie!

Thanks!
Mine does this every winter, 37-38 miles. It goes back up to almost 50 in the summer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
47 miles per charge is an AVERAGE guess-timate....

OP:
Try driving the car gently like an elderly person for a couple of days, do not turn on cabin heating nor seat heaters, and you will see a longer range estimate.

I am in So Cal as well but during the winters, I average 50-60 miles per charge because of the way it's driven
The summertime, I really see some nice range - 60-70 miles per charge, although not turning on the A/C in the heat is a bit tough....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM

In Florida for the winter, Millage went from 30 miles up north to 55 mile in Fl. But if you turn the Air on it sucks up the miles like crazy!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page