30a 125/250v - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

30a 125/250v

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. However, I could not find anything answering this specific question.

I have in my garage a 30a 125/250v outlet near my dryer, the 3 prong y shaped one. Would a basic level 2 charger from Amazon work? I was looking at a zencar portable level 2 charger 16a 240v. Would a 32a work as well? Also if anyone could recommend a plug in level 2 theyve had experience with. Thanks
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes, a L2 charger from Zencar will work fine with your dryer outlet.

There are 2 ways to get the Zencar EVSE to plug in:
1. Have an electrician change out the dryer outlet to a NEMA 6-50 or 5-20 which are compatible with the Zencar plug.
2. Go to your hardware / electrical store to find an adapter dongle that converts the dryer plug to a 5-20R.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losthuy View Post
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. However, I could not find anything answering this specific question.

I have in my garage a 30a 125/250v outlet near my dryer, the 3 prong y shaped one. Would a basic level 2 charger from Amazon work? I was looking at a zencar portable level 2 charger 16a 240v. Would a 32a work as well? Also if anyone could recommend a plug in level 2 theyve had experience with. Thanks
Not sure if you mean a 10-30R outlet? If so on Amazon there is a Mustart 26 amp for a reasonable price with a 10-30 plug. It's not the most common brand but I have heard of people who use and like it. Has a nice LCD display showing voltage etc. 26 amp is more than enough for Clarity.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Yes I believe it is a NEMA 10-30 outlet, but it says "30a 125/250v". I thought I could just plug it in and be good to go. I believe I still need a seperate panel now.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Yes I believe it is a NEMA 10-30 outlet, but it says "30a 125/250v". I thought I could just plug it in and be good to go. I believe I still need a seperate panel now.
That's pretty much what they say on them, no reason why it shouldn't work. That being said 10-30 is the older 3-prong style that hasn't been installed in homes for over twenty-five years, that doesn't make it unsafe by any means to use but being that old and apparently never used, if you have any doubts you can always have an electrician check it out and make sure that the outlet and wiring is in good condition. But assuming the outlet is in good working order it should be absolutely fine for charging, and would be a lot cheaper than switching to a different type of outlet.

However if you use the 10-30 outlet it's best to use an EVSE that comes with that sized plug. It's best to avoid using adapters to mate EVSE's to different sized plugs. Some people do it but it's better to get an EVSE to match the existing outlet, or else change the outlet to match the EVSE. The former method is usually much cheaper than the latter. Especially for Clarity which really needs very little power, even 16 amp Level 2 is plenty for Clarity.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:

For continuous loads (like your car charging), the load should only be ~80% of the circuit protection device capacity, so you need a 40a breaker for a 32a continuous load. I'd avoid using a 32A unless you had the circuit breaker changed to a 40a, the wiring checked to ensure it meets the required wire gauge per NEC 240.4(B), and probably the outlet changed. You should be fine with a common 16a charger, or with a [more unusual] 24a charger.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowSuchEmpty View Post
For continuous loads (like your car charging), the load should only be ~80% of the circuit protection device capacity, so you need a 40a breaker for a 32a continuous load. I'd avoid using a 32A unless you had the circuit breaker changed to a 40a, the wiring checked to ensure it meets the required wire gauge per NEC 240.4(B), and probably the outlet changed. You should be fine with a common 16a charger, or with a [more unusual] 24a charger.
Interesting that Mustart's 10-30 is 26 amp, they claim 15% margin is okay. Don't know why they didn't just make it 24 amp so that it follows accepted guidelines and there wouldn't be any question about it.

I didn't realize Zencar does have a model with a 10-30 plug, it's 16 amp which again is plenty for Clarity. Of course some people want to future proof to say 14-50 but that can get a lot more costly not just for the wiring but also for the EVSE.

Even cheaper is to use the Honda OEM cable with an adapter to 240V outlet, a lot of people have done that with no problems other than it maxes out at about 10 amps but still it's twice as fast as Level 1. But it's an individual decision whether to go down that route.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
Interesting that Mustart's 10-30 is 26 amp, they claim 15% margin is okay. Don't know why they didn't just make it 24 amp so that it follows accepted guidelines and there wouldn't be any question about it.

I didn't realize Zencar does have a model with a 10-30 plug, it's 16 amp which again is plenty for Clarity. Of course some people want to future proof to say 14-50 but that can get a lot more costly not just for the wiring but also for the EVSE.

Even cheaper is to use the Honda OEM cable with an adapter to 240V outlet, a lot of people have done that with no problems other than it maxes out at about 10 amps but still it's twice as fast as Level 1. But it's an individual decision whether to go down that route.
The Clarity can actually work with a 32A cable--it will take a bit more than 2 hours with 32A, twice as long with a 16A cable.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowSuchEmpty View Post
The Clarity can actually work with a 32A cable--it will take a bit more than 2 hours with 32A, twice as long with a 16A cable.
In fact it will work with an even higher amp EVSE but it won't draw more than 32 amp. But I think for most people there would be little benefit from being able to fully charge Clarity at home in two hours vs. four hours. At least not enough to be worth the extra cost of the more expensive EVSE. And certainly not worth the cost of upgrading an existing 30 amp circuit to 40 or 50 amp like in the OP's situation.

In my case I'm still using Level 1 and getting along fine. If I do install Level 2 any amperage will be more than enough even 16 amp. Since I would be installing a 240 outlet from scratch I would have to decide whether to go the cheapest route which would probably be to install 6-20, or spend more money to future proof and install 14-50. Even after installing a 14-50 outlet there are decisions which EVSE to get, do I save money and get a lower amp EVSE like 24 amp or do I also try and future proof the EVSE by spending more money on a 40 amp model. But that starts to get iffy trying to predict what type of EVSE I will need for a future EV. So my thinking is if starting from scratch to install the highest outlet possible, which for practical purposes is 14-50, but then install the lowest cost Level 2 EVSE that works with Clarity.

Last edited by 2002; 12-30-2019 at 10:56 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
ISince I would be installing a 240 outlet from scratch I would have to decide whether to go the cheapest route which would probably be to install 6-20, or spend more money to future proof and install 14-50. Even after installing a 14-50 outlet there are decisions which EVSE to get, do I save money and get a lower amp EVSE like 24 amp or do I also try and future proof the EVSE by spending more money on a 40 amp model. But that starts to get iffy trying to predict what type of EVSE I will need for a future EV. So my thinking is if starting from scratch to install the highest outlet possible, which for practical purposes is 14-50, but then install the lowest cost Level 2 EVSE that works with Clarity.
The only "future proofing" that is necessary is usually to be able charge overnight to replenish what you use in a day. If you drive 100 miles a day, a 16A EVSE will still likely be sufficient. If you do 200 miles a day, you will likely need 32A. Most people drive far less than that on a daily basis.

Some of the newest BEV's are coming with 40 or 48A on board chargers, so a 50 or 60A circuit would match with them. Any EVSE greater than 40A must be hardwired. If you drive a lot, and/or have a short TOU window, a faster charger may make sense.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page