30a 125/250v - Page 4 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 2Likes

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 05:51 PM

Even cheaper is to use the Honda OEM cable with an adapter to 240V outlet, a lot of people have done that with no problems other than it maxes out at about 10 amps but still it's twice as fast as Level 1. But it's an individual decision whether to go down that route.[/QUOTE]

Is this something that can be done? Is there a discussion thread or a paper of some sort on how it should be done? I have 240 in my garage and could run a line to the right place.
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billb View Post
"Even cheaper is to use the Honda OEM cable with an adapter to 240V outlet, a lot of people have done that with no problems other than it maxes out at about 10 amps but still it's twice as fast as Level 1. But it's an individual decision whether to go down that route."

Is this something that can be done? Is there a discussion thread or a paper of some sort on how it should be done? I have 240 in my garage and could run a line to the right place.
Below is a link to the original thread on this topic. Probably take a while to read the entire thread, but it does have point-counterpoint discussions about it. The only overheating problems that people were having was with adapters that people were getting from eBay and Amazon not the Honda cable itself, so there was an opinion that a home made adapter using quality parts was better than buying some unknown adapter. The person who started the thread Rob43 started making adapters for people who were not comfortable making their own, somewhere in the fourteen pages of posts I think he gives his contact info.

https://www.clarityforum.com/forum/5....html#post3741
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 08:43 PM

Wow. I just finished reading the full thread. Rob's idea is great but I will go on with my existing 120 for now. It got pretty heated there. Personally, i am on the side of a 20 amp breaker to protect the weak OEM link in the series. Thanks for the Link to the thread 2002.
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billb View Post
Wow. I just finished reading the full thread. Rob's idea is great but I will go on with my existing 120 for now. It got pretty heated there. Personally, i am on the side of a 20 amp breaker to protect the weak OEM link in the series. Thanks for the Link to the thread 2002.
I am still using 120 because economically for a PHEV it makes the most sense, i.e. not nearly enough savings to offset the investment in 240V. Most days the car is home long enough to charge all that I need. Occasionally not and I only have time to charge to 80% or whatever, but that just means I burn a few more miles of gas on those days. Not enough though to justify spending hundreds of dollars to install a 240V outlet. If I had an EV then sure I would absolutely be getting 240V, and that's the rationale some people have that they are future proofing for an EV, which is fine but I'm not going to spend the money just in case I buy an EV while I am still living in this house. On the other hand there is a federal tax credit right now for installing 240V and no guarantee that the credit will still be available when and if I get an EV. Then again the state that I live in used to have a tax credit for 240V installs, they currently don't, but they may bring it back. Too many variables and unknowns to predict if I would save money by getting 240V now, and all depending on whether I get an EV while I am living here. Personally for me a PHEV works out just right so I have no current plans to go full EV, but that may change, again depending on what happens in the future.

One other nicety about 240V is that you can run remote climate (or scheduled climate which is similar) while charging, whereas with 120V you cannot charge and run climate at the same time. But my car is in an attached garage so the temperature never gets too extreme, so I never do that anyway. I only use remote climate away from the house.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:15 AM

I did the adapter cable for the Honda charger with a high quality 120v 20A female plug.

All works well and it charges to full in 5-6 hours overnight on reduced night time rate.

I am going to adapt a wifi local charge control to stop using the Honda app for the scheduling as it is a bit slow through the 3G. Not really a big issue but I will get instant response for any changes in scheduling.

In addition I will install a watt hour meter to keep track of the monthly average use, again just an added monitoring ability.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page