terrible EV range. - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Angry terrible EV range.

I've had this since 12/18. Only about 500 miles so far. temperatures mostly in 30-40's but many days in teens and 60's.
I have never had more than 30 mile range at fully charged.
WTF?

Stephen
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Normal cold weather range put up by the guess-o-meter. As the weather warms and the meter learns your actual range the number on the meter will show more.
4sallypat likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 PM
kvs

EV Range

Last summer my range was over 50 miles. Now in the cold it is no more than 35 miles. Two things cause this reduction. First, running the heater uses about 1 mile of range for every 5 minutes of operation. And second, the battery likes 70F or higher temperatures to charge and operate optimally.

I use the seat heater and keep the heat at 63F for the cab. Still only 35 miles max. For the second item I await summer and run more on HV mode to save the battery for city stop and go.

This range reduction is typical of all EVs.
4sallypat likes this.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:25 PM

Question is this range you guys speak of what the car shows or what you are really getting?
Kerbe likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:42 AM

Range is estimated but comes out true if you drive the same way you drove the previous days.

I have a suggestion: turn off all climate controls and drive for a week you will notice you miles per charge will go way up.

This past 2 months in winter, I don't turn on the heater. Maybe the A/C in the afternoon when the sun bakes the car at work...

I have been getting 50-60 miles per charge and driving more than that due to paddle regen, coasting, and 100% EV ECON mode....
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:05 PM

Newby post here.

Probably going to buy a 2019 Clarity. I was going to ask about real life range. Thanks for all the info. I am driving a 2017 Volt. I believe it advertises 53 compared to the Clarity's 48. We have gotten over 60 in the summer when driving mostly around 45 mph. During the winter (average 30's and 40's degrees F) we never get to 50 and sometimes less than 40. Sounds as though my Clarity experience will only be slightly less. I like that even the Base model has things that would cost a lot extra if I got another Volt, especially interested in adaptive cruise (does that work as advertised on the Clarity?)

I look to save a lot of money over the Volt at purchase time, I assume I will get the full $7500 US tax rebate with the Clarity as I would with the Volt. Anybody know if that is true?

4sallypat mentions the paddle regen. My volt has that but it also does regen with the brake pedal until you really need to press it down hard. Is that not the case with the Clarity?

We are about to add a heated garage to the house. Presumably the car will think it is summertime while charging. Any idea how much that might help range when driving in the cold weather? I have heard that the batteries get quite warm while being used so I was thinking that if they start out fully charged in a warm garage they ought to keep themselves warm and get good range.

They have stopped making the Volt but my dealer assures me I can still get a 2019 when I turn in my leased 2017.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:33 PM
tom

Range range

I have never gotten as little as 30 miles, even in winter in St. Louis. Last summer I got as high as 67 miles on a charge. You will do better in warm weather.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:46 PM

Yes, you will do much better in summer.
I am driving in 90 degree heat and with the climate controls off, windows down in sunny So Cal - 60 miles per charge!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsymon View Post
Newby post here.

Probably going to buy a 2019 Clarity. I was going to ask about real life range. Thanks for all the info. I am driving a 2017 Volt. I believe it advertises 53 compared to the Clarity's 48. We have gotten over 60 in the summer when driving mostly around 45 mph. During the winter (average 30's and 40's degrees F) we never get to 50 and sometimes less than 40. Sounds as though my Clarity experience will only be slightly less. I like that even the Base model has things that would cost a lot extra if I got another Volt, especially interested in adaptive cruise (does that work as advertised on the Clarity?)
I love the LKAS. I drive on the thruway once or twice a week about 30 miles each way. I can keep my hands off the wheel the majority of the time. IF YOU HAVE LINES ON EACH SIDE IT WORKS WELL. AND IF THERE ARENT TOO MANY HUGE CORNERS. It will also turn on slight corners by itself. After 30 seconds or so it will say to steer but you still dont have to.

I look to save a lot of money over the Volt at purchase time, I assume I will get the full $7500 US tax rebate with the Clarity as I would with the Volt. Anybody know if that is true? YES- As long as your deductions (or line 47 maybe?) is over 7500 dollars. Someone needs to verify this for me. I know I looked at last year's tax forms to be sure I was eligible for the full amount and I am.

4sallypat mentions the paddle regen. My volt has that but it also does regen with the brake pedal until you really need to press it down hard. Is that not the case with the Clarity? NOPE- Regen with paddles on EV mode. Or use sport mode and it remembers the regen and will apply it as soon as you let off the gas. I use EV and paddle most of the time.

We are about to add a heated garage to the house. Presumably the car will think it is summertime while charging. Any idea how much that might help range when driving in the cold weather? I have heard that the batteries get quite warm while being used so I was thinking that if they start out fully charged in a warm garage they ought to keep themselves warm and get good range. NOT SURE BUT seems logical.

They have stopped making the Volt but my dealer assures me I can still get a 2019 when I turn in my leased 2017.
good luck

2018 Clarity plug in- Base (Silver)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatse52and4 View Post
I've had this since 12/18. Only about 500 miles so far. temperatures mostly in 30-40's but many days in teens and 60's.
I have never had more than 30 mile range at fully charged.
WTF?

Stephen
I was the same way until the temp got into 40's and some sun. Didn't have to use any heat, etc... got up to 50 for two days when it was that way. Other days in the 30's when it is colder and have to use heat. low 30's. Waiting for weather to change and will definitely see the 50's I think.

2018 Clarity plug in- Base (Silver)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page