Battery and ICE break in periods - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Battery and ICE break in periods

We have had our 2020 Clarity in Illinois for about a 6 weeks, less than 1000 miles. I downloaded the Link app almost immediately. The battery range started kinda weak at less than 35 miles (per the app estimate) but has developed to 50 miles as of today. Did anyone else notice anything like this? We have taken one longer trip of about 150 miles each way and the mileage was not up to expectations. Both directions seemed to use about 3/4 tank of gas for about 30 to 35 mpg. Again, did others notice low mileage during a break in period? For the long trip, We were on HV mode most of the way with more than 3/4 charge.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 12:21 PM

The range guess-o-meters are estimates based on the previous xx miles of driving. I don't know what the Clarity uses for this but I suspect 50 to 100 miles (more likely to be on the low end). The link app reports what the car tells it.

As you noticed, the EV range has gone up - part of this is warmer weather and part is the car learning your driving style.

The highway drive - how fast were you going? Speed makes a huge difference highway efficiency as the HP needed to push the car through the air goes up as the cube of the speed. Also, why did you have any charge left in the car when you got home? You should target zero EV miles when you get home to make the best use of both the electric and gas engines.

As for a break-in period - I believe there's a 500 to 1,000 mile break-in on the ICE where you don't want to run the ICE at a set speed for extended periods. The car's computer helps with this by running the ICE harder to charge the batteries and then drops back to run more on EV while keeping the overall power to the wheels consistent. Vehicle brakes also have a break-in period where you don't want to hard stop but you're beyond this. I know of no EV that has a battery or electric motor break-in.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. The long trip was interstate driving at about 75 mph, weather was in the 40s and raining. I did actually use the last of the EV at the end of the trip. I am having trouble adapting 50 years of driving habits to adaptive cruise control. So, there may have been a lot of up and down on the speed. I'm not a fan.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 08:50 AM

I have not experienced nor have I heard of any noticeable changes in range or vehicle performance related to any type of breaking in period. Range, both EV and HV, is affected only by driving conditions, and EV range in particular is very much affected by cold temperature which greatly reduces EV range.

For your specific numbers, 35 to 50 EV miles between approx April 20 to June 1, for most people those numbers would more typically be seen between say February and May in parts of the country where February is near freezing and May is more like 60's or 70's. Unless there were extremely cold conditions when you got your car in late April, the more likely explanation is simply that for a new car the guess-o-meter (i.e. estimate EV range) always starts with a low estimate then it starts increasing after several drives as it adjusts based on actual results.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billb View Post
I am having trouble adapting 50 years of driving habits to adaptive cruise control. So, there may have been a lot of up and down on the speed. I'm not a fan.
I use adaptive cruise control all the time and really like it. It does require some adjustments to the following distance to match personal preference. Also the acceleration and deceleration aggressiveness is affected by which mode you are in Econ, Normal or Sport. Many people don't like the long delay before speeding up after the car in front speeds up, and have found that driving in Sport mode helps with this.

Another characteristic in all driving modes that people don't like is that if the car in front of you moves out of your lane then slows down, the Clarity reacts like it is still in your lane and also starts slowing down. Personally I don't mind any of this as I can easily tap the accelerator pedal to speed up in these situations. I look for ACC mainly to help me keep from getting too close to the car in front of me, which it does very well and it often reacts to someone slowing down even before I have noticed they are slowing down.

But if you really don't like ACC you can shut it off and use just regular cruise control. To switch between ACC and regular cruise control you press and hold the ACC distance adjust button for a few seconds.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. The long trip was interstate driving at about 75 mph, weather was in the 40s and raining. I did actually use the last of the EV at the end of the trip. I am having trouble adapting 50 years of driving habits to adaptive cruise control. So, there may have been a lot of up and down on the speed. I'm not a fan.
Long drives are affected by how fast and how much accelerator is used.

Going 75 miles in HV mode will lower MPG.
Going up/down hills with ACC will lower MPG.

Save your EV miles for lower speed driving like city streets (not highways).

I finally got the hang of driving the PHEV on some recent long distance driving - 45-50 MPG (total combined HV & EV driving).

I don't use the guess-o-meter display; instead I use the total miles driven between fill ups, keeping the receipts of fuel purchased and then finally at the end of the trip - total miles divided by the actual fillup tank of fuel.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
weather was in the 40s and raining
Here's the culprit. All vehicles are negatively impacted by cold weather and rain. High efficiency cars, such as the Clarity are impacted even more.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obermd View Post
Here's the culprit. All vehicles are negatively impacted by cold weather and rain. High efficiency cars, such as the Clarity are impacted even more.
Agree. High speed driving in the rain and cold is a range killer. A lot of factors working against you there.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for a good discussion. I will give the ACC some more consideration but I think that the traffic patterns on I57 from Champaign to Chicago are very different than the high speed congestion of S Cal. Someone mentioned hills, here they are also called overpasses. For gas mileage, I would like to track it separately from the battery range but that is difficult. I have never owned a car with a mileage computer, used it on rentals though. The "guessometer" usually seemed pretty accurate. I have always tracked mileage with miles per fill up. It's hard to do with the battery miles. If I set a tripmeter when I turn on HV will the calculated mileage be pretty accurate? Any other suggestions? Most of our day to day driving will be battery with an occasional SIP of gas.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 12:34 PM

I understand why cold make the car less efficient, but why does rain?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page