Regenerative Braking - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Regenerative Braking

From what I understand, the new Clarity has a customization regenerative braking system. So if you're going downhill, the regen can be maximized of if you're stuck in traffic the system can be put to minimum so you can crawl forward by taking your foot of the brake. Curious how many settings the system has or if it's just two.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Regenerative braking and my experience

HalfAndHalf,

I've had my Clarity Plug-In for 3 weeks now. I also own a Prius and a Leaf. I'm not sure what you mean by customizing the regenerative braking system. When going downhill, or if you see that you'll need to stop soon, you can use steering wheel paddles to decelerate with regenerative braking. If you use the cruise control and go down a hill, it will also decelerate with regenerative braking. Lightly pressing the brake will, too, though it seems to do less regeneration than with the paddles (I'm not positive about that, though). If you are at a traffic light, you can crawl forward by taking your foot off the brake, unless you have pushed the "brake hold" button. But I know of no customizations per se.

By the way, over on the Volt forum there's a lot of discussion about Clarity. One complaint that I saw there and worried about was that you can't force it to just use the battery. I can understand that concern from anyone like me who owns a Prius hybrid, where it's a real art to keep it in battery-only mode. But with my Clarity, I have to really, really slam the accelerator on the floor it to get it to exit battery-only mode, at least until the battery is used up. In normal driving, I haven't seen it exit battery-only.

Lastly, I've made six trips of more than the 47 mile EV limit, going 65-75 MPH for much of the way; on average, it's given me about 52 all-electric miles before starting to use gas. So far I'm extremely pleased with this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfAndfHalf View Post
From what I understand, the new Clarity has a customization regenerative braking system. So if you're going downhill, the regen can be maximized of if you're stuck in traffic the system can be put to minimum so you can crawl forward by taking your foot of the brake. Curious how many settings the system has or if it's just two.

Last edited by rmcgarity; 05-20-2018 at 03:41 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 07:33 AM

Amount or regen braking

Hi All:

I am looking for a little more info on the regen braking thing. Seems to me that the indicator in the power/charge gage goes to the charge section about the same whether I use the paddles or the brake peddle. I was wondering what the advantage is to using the paddles is over the brake peddle? I had a Prius for ten years and learned that the brake pads did not engage till you hit about 7 mph meaning till that point it was all regen braking. I wonder if then Clarity is similar. Buy the way I loved my Prius but I have to say I love my Clarity even more. Almost 2000 miles and I have yet to put gas in it!

Kentcr
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentcr View Post

I was wondering what the advantage is to using the paddles is over the brake peddle? I had a Prius for ten years and learned that the brake pads did not engage till you hit about 7 mph meaning till that point it was all regen braking. I wonder if then Clarity is similar.

Kentcr

It looks like the Clarity engages the brake pads, at least minimally, whenever you depress the brake pedal. From the manual (page 434):
Quote:
Applying constant pressure to the brakes while going down a long hill can cause the brakes to heat up, resulting in a loss of stopping power. Therefore, when descending a long hill, release the accelerator pedal and allow regenerative braking to slow the vehicle down. To adjust the rate of deceleration, use the deceleration paddle selector.
--and--
Quote:
Do not rest your foot on the brake pedal while driving, as it will lightly apply the brakes and cause them to lose effectiveness over time and reduce pad life. It will also confuse drivers behind you

so it looks like using the paddles will extend your brake pads' life.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfAndfHalf View Post
Curious how many settings the system has or if it's just two.
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were talking about, but there are 5 levels of regen addressable by the paddles. These are shown by downward chevrons by the EV indicator. Levels 0-3 are available at >55mph and levels 0-4 are available at <55mph (in my experience).

Level 0 is minimal regen, similar to coasting but it does regenerate at least a little bit of energy. This level doesn't show a downward facing chevron on the indicator.
Levels 1-3 increase regeneration fairly evenly.
Level 4 is the max regen. It can seriously slow your car down and, when timed right, can handle most of your braking for you, up until the last few MPH.
--> Be careful with this though, if you don't time it right or aren't used to it, you can cause a crash. Try it out in an empty parking lot if possible before doing that sort of thing on normal roads.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 AM

Red face

Thanks for this d3xbot

This helps some. I have read the part about the brakes in the manual as well. I quess you infer that the brakes pads engage any time you press on the brake peddle but I wonder how much regen do you get when you do this. Seems that the charge indicator shows decent charging if you press moderately on the peddle. I am not quite sure why they choose the paddles over its letting the brake peddle be the input on how much regen braking you get. I still love, love, love my car though. I have had mine for over a month now. One of these days Ill need to put gas in it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 PM

Re: regen levels vs brake lights

Does regen light up the brake lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3xbot View Post
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were talking about, but there are 5 levels of regen addressable by the paddles. These are shown by downward chevrons by the EV indicator. Levels 0-3 are available at >55mph and levels 0-4 are available at <55mph (in my experience).

Level 0 is minimal regen, similar to coasting but it does regenerate at least a little bit of energy. This level doesn't show a downward facing chevron on the indicator.
Levels 1-3 increase regeneration fairly evenly.
Level 4 is the max regen. It can seriously slow your car down and, when timed right, can handle most of your braking for you, up until the last few MPH.
--> Be careful with this though, if you don't time it right or aren't used to it, you can cause a crash. Try it out in an empty parking lot if possible before doing that sort of thing on normal roads.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Garage
Short answer, NO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritywannab View Post
Does regen light up the brake lights?

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post
Short answer, NO

^^^ This confuses drivers behind me.
I noticed that drivers behind me when I engage full downshifted deceleration (regen braking), the car would slow down much faster than if it was a regular car, confusing the driver behind me in thinking that I am slowing down without braking.
Honda should make a software change to flash the brake lights with a quick flashing (strobe) so that drivers would know that I am slowing down using the regen paddles....

But speaking of brake pads, I definitely love that it gets rarely used saving me on brake pad replacements...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM

Garage
The effect shouldn't be even as dramatic as driving the way we used to with a manual shift and using the gear box to slow down. No brake lights then either.

Aside from that, I have been using the paddles a lot to slow down and I've noticed that adding braking to the front wheels only by using the paddles and along with the front wheels doing all of the pulling, early tire rotation may be necessary to avoid excessive wear. I'm just under 6000 miles now and maybe my imagination is working overtime but it seems the tread is just a wee bit less on the front wheels. Anyway could be something to consider. With all of the extra battery weight, it's a pretty heavy car to be stopping from speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
^^^ This confuses drivers behind me.
I noticed that drivers behind me when I engage full downshifted deceleration (regen braking), the car would slow down much faster than if it was a regular car, confusing the driver behind me in thinking that I am slowing down without braking.
Honda should make a software change to flash the brake lights with a quick flashing (strobe) so that drivers would know that I am slowing down using the regen paddles....

But speaking of brake pads, I definitely love that it gets rarely used saving me on brake pad replacements...

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page