Better than the Volt according to new ad - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Better than the Volt according to new ad

Honda has cleverly released a new video which outlines the Clarity offers both more passenger volume and horsepower than the Chevy Volt. As GM announced they plan on discontinuing this model, Honda must be trying to appeal to those who were considering purchasing one.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:55 PM

As a former Volt and current Clarity owner I'd like to point out a few things about the two cars. The Volt is faster from a stop than the Clarity. The regenerative breaking is accomplished in all modes by just putting the car in low gear (it isn't really low gear but the real description of what is happening is too long). Pushing the accelerator to the floor does not activate the ICE when you are in EV mode with. You can use both in mountain mode. The Volt (new) has a little more EV range than the Clarity. The hatchback gives you better access to bulky items. The lane departure and collision warnings are made by sound only (don't know about the new Volt). The Volt has real tuning and volume knobs not touch screen controls.

The Clarity (Touring in my case) has more passenger space. It has more features that are excellent e.g. Adaptive cruise control and steering wheel shudder on lane departure for example. It has memory seats. I personally feel you get more features with the Honda than you do with the Volt for the money. I don't like the fact that the ICE activates when the accelerator is depressed after a certain point and that the RB is not always on (once activated) in Eco mode. I'm a little concerned with the complaints (31 so far) listed on the NHTSA web site. But I've had no problems so far. We are very happy with the car.

Tim
obermd likes this.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring, Solar Silver
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 06:12 PM

Garage
Video would not play for me, not sure why. I did go onto the NHTSA site and just one complaint showed up, it is below. The person indicated others experiencing "these similar error codes" but what you see below is all there was as of five minutes ago. Here is the link https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/H...252520ELECTRIC
NHTSA complaint;
WHILE PARKED IN MY DRIVEWAY I RECEIVED A NUMBER OF ERROR MESSAGES WHEN I STARTED THE CAR. CAR IS NOW AT HONDA DEALER SINCE 4/5/2018. I WAS TOLD THE LARGE BATTERY NEEDS TO BE REPLACED AND IT IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE THE CAR. DEALER UNABLE TO GIVE ME AN ETA ON THE BATTERY. MANY OTHER OWNERS ARE EXPERIENCING THESE SIMILAR ERROR CODES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purity View Post
Honda has cleverly released a new video which outlines the Clarity offers both more passenger volume and horsepower than the Chevy Volt. As GM announced they plan on discontinuing this model, Honda must be trying to appeal to those who were considering purchasing one. https://youtu.be/uGsLt70yOIQ

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-16-2018 at 06:17 PM.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Jim, here's where you'll find the 31 complaints https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/H...N%252520HYBRID I think the difference is the site you posted is for the all electric car. I was referring to the car I own, a plug in hybrid.

Regards

Tim

2018 Honda Clarity Touring, Solar Silver
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:34 PM

I've had my clarity now for 9 months. I bought my wife a Tesla model 3 long range all wheel drive-in May. I can honestly say I hate driving my clarity now. The Tesla is just a much better vehicle in every single aspect including 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds. 310 miles of range. Took it on a 600 mile road trip...and it took 35 mins longer than the Honda...but with self driving, I was much much much more relaxed. I used to love the Clarity...but now I cant get rid of it fast enough for a 2nd tesla in the family.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaClarity45 View Post
I've had my clarity now for 9 months. I bought my wife a Tesla model 3 long range all wheel drive-in May. I can honestly say I hate driving my clarity now. The Tesla is just a much better vehicle in every single aspect including 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds. 310 miles of range. Took it on a 600 mile road trip...and it took 35 mins longer than the Honda...but with self driving, I was much much much more relaxed. I used to love the Clarity...but now I cant get rid of it fast enough for a 2nd tesla in the family.
Interesting. I'm going to justify my choice so I don't feel like I made the wrong one. In my family, with the state of EV charging in the US, I believe that I need one car with an ICE engine in the family. I have the Clarity for this. With only two EV cars I would never comfortably take a long trip without worrying about charging. You may have more than 2 cars in your family and then I would see your point.

The other big factor for me is that the Tesla is much more expensive than the Clarity. By about 10k isn't it?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheat17 View Post
Interesting. I'm going to justify my choice so I don't feel like I made the wrong one. In my family, with the state of EV charging in the US, I believe that I need one car with an ICE engine in the family. I have the Clarity for this. With only two EV cars I would never comfortably take a long trip without worrying about charging. You may have more than 2 cars in your family and then I would see your point.

The other big factor for me is that the Tesla is much more expensive than the Clarity. By about 10k isn't it?
Just on sticker price alone the 310 mile version is about 7K higher at $44,500, over 10K if you add in the difference in federal tax credit, several thousand more if you add in the discounts that many people get on Clarity.

Probably if I owned one I would hate my Clarity also, but ignorance is bliss I guess as I really enjoy it especially for the price. I was not expecting to drive anything close to electric for a few more years and I am glad that at least for 50 miles a day I now get to.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:43 PM

Can't switch yet to a Tesla - EV range scares me...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Can't switch yet to a Tesla - EV range scares me...
It's the only EV that makes sense for US driving patterns - because there are Superchargers EVERYWHERE so you can always get back from where you've gone! I think the Model Y is going to be an even bigger "game-changer" than the Model 3.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:45 PM

I thought I saw someone saying Tesla Model 3 interior was bad compared to the Clarity. I don't believe that. I went to a Tesla store and sat in one and it was really nice, although a bit cramped compared to the Clarity. I came from a 2015 Mini 2-door Hardtop, so the Clarity is huge for me. I had my 2019 Clarity Base for 2 months now, the super steep discount was the final motivation factor. I wish it had better automation (self-driving) feature. The basic infotainment system is like 20% finished product (junk), very sluggish and lagging like how Android phones did when they first came out. I started hearing rattles from both front A pillar, I'll have to take it off and add some foam in there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page