Better than the Volt according to new ad - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 2Likes

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:34 PM

After looking at a Tesla Model 3, we had second thoughts about the maximum distance and the price. Ended up with the Clarity and I love it! Just 2 weeks ago I took my first long distance drive (I've only been driving it locally on electric) and drove the car up to Ashland from Sacramento and it worked like a dream. Only needed to stop once in Redding for 3.5 gallons of gas and breezed on up in HV mode. My battery still had 3/4 charge. So easy!! We'll keep our eyes on Tesla as a possible next car, but this one fills the bill for us right now. When friends ask me about how it works, I tell them I have two driving modes -- Tesla mode (45 miles electric around town) and Prius mode (HV for distance). Love this car!
2002 likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM

From an EV perspective, the Volt (any model year) is a better car as it won't start the ICE until the batteries run out. The Clarity PHEV needs both the electric and gas motors under heavy load. My 2017 Volt can handle all loads on either EV or ICE alone.

From a creature comfort perspective, the Clarity PHEV is definitely better.

From the perspective of documenting vehicle operations and maintenance, the Volt wins hands down. GM tells you under what conditions the car will automatically turn on the ICE (there are a few), how often the car handles ICE engine and fuel maintenance, and gives you a printed service schedule. Honda hides all this stuff with the highly paternalistic attitude that says they think their vehicle owners are idiots. (I suspect this may actually be a Japanese cultural thing.) Honda even hid the service schedule from you behind that idiotic "Service Minder" system - you have no idea which service is coming next, which would be helpful in planning for a long trip.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page