Honda Clarity Forum banner

Battery charge bars

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  NeedSomeClarity 
#1 ·
I have less than 500 miles on my 2018 Touring, averaging around 75 mpg. I have been charging overnight with the provided cable on regular (110 v?) current.

Normally, when I start the car the next morning, I have a full complement of battery charge bars on the dashboard display.. Yesterday, less than half the bars were charged. I am pretty sure the charger cable is working, since I see the red light at the wall end of the unit, but when I unplug and replug it, the bars do not move.

I called Honda, spoke to a tech who could not help, and simply said he has never heard of such a thing.

What now?

#2 ·
First let’s eliminate the obvious: You haven’t mentioned whether the green light goes on at the Clarity when you plug the cable in. The plug has to be firmly seated. Maybe you plugged in the cable without checking? Or maybe the cable had loops?
Assuming you have not miss-set the timer, and you had solid greens during the charging, are you getting only half the expected mileage reported by hondalink or the driver user interface? And hondalink reports less than 50% charge?

#4 ·
Same here! I find the only way to get information about clarity is to keep the manuals in the glove compartment and use the downloaded pdf files ifrom my computer. Then I can use the search field in the pdf's to find all references to what I am interested in. And, I find there is no mention of the green light, but of the "charging indicator" in either of the manuals.

#5 ·
The only thing that comes to mind is possibly even w/o knowing you were doing it, you may have activated a time for a charge to start. If so and you unplug it prior to completion of charge then you won't see all the bars. On this car, you can tell it when to 'start' the charge. If you don't unplug it prior to completion, it will stop itself when charge is complete. For persons coming to this type of car for the 1st time, there is a learning curve on just about everything from starting and driving to just using the radio. The car is a rolling set of 'ganged' computers doing a great job once operation is understood.
Good luck.

#6 ·
Update

To those who asked, the light on the cable/wall end was lit, but the light on the car panel would not come on.

Cruiter, , and Car Newby, I suspect that what actually happened may be what you said, that I accidentally activated a timer for a charge to start, but Honda says it needed a computer update. The Service Updates were installed and up to date in January when we picked up the car.. Has a new one been issued since then?

I had the car 4 days and had a front end collision with a car going 50 miles an hour. The Clarity barely budged, but had 8000 worth of damage, and was in the shop until the end of March, so it is all so new to me that I do not know how to use the Honda link app, or what type of rapid charging station we will install.

Nonetheless, I fore see a three day shakedown trip in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.