Back pain. - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Back pain.

New clarity plug in touring. A lot of discomfort in the lower back. Seat adjustments help done. But pain is pretty bad. Tried cushions to no avail. Feel like the built in lumbar support needs to be deflated. Any advice seeing as Iím stuck with this otherwise nice car. Niceness aside, canít really drive it if my back aches all the time. Seats induced pain in the low back and numbness in both legs. Of 6 other cars in the extended family (c max energi, Toyota Mirai, Audi A3, Audi A6, Prius plug in, Ford Explorer) the clarity is wrecking my back. Seeing as Iím stuck with this car, any advice? I think Iím beyond cushions (tried many), wondering if seat can be modified? Thanks.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr2346 View Post
New clarity plug in touring. A lot of discomfort in the lower back. Seat adjustments help done. But pain is pretty bad. Tried cushions to no avail. Feel like the built in lumbar support needs to be deflated. Any advice seeing as Iím stuck with this otherwise nice car. Niceness aside, canít really drive it if my back aches all the time. Seats induced pain in the low back and numbness in both legs. Of 6 other cars in the extended family (c max energi, Toyota Mirai, Audi A3, Audi A6, Prius plug in, Ford Explorer) the clarity is wrecking my back. Seeing as Iím stuck with this car, any advice? I think Iím beyond cushions (tried many), wondering if seat can be modified? Thanks.
I'd recommend seeing an orthopedist for a recommendation as every body is different: I find the Clarity seat to be one of the most comfortable and supportive I've ever had. Even after a full nine-hour day of driving I suffer none of the ill effects I've experienced in other cars from VW, Honda, GM, Subaru, etc. Push comes to shove a custom upholsterer can rebuild the seat - but an orthopedist (or even a chiropractor) could probably recommend some less expensive options. Best wishes!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would say see an acupuncturist.

My acupuncturist has been able to resolve my lower back and sciatica issues without having to pop pills when I drive long distances.

My Clarity seats are more comfortable than my BMW seats by a long shot.
I really like the cloth seats of the Clarity - much more give and don't miss any adjustments = compared to the hard BMW leather seats even with those fancy lumbar seat adjustment controls.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 11:08 AM

Sorry to hear that the seats are incompatible for you. Having a custom seat cushion designed for you by an orthopedist is one route to try but still unpredictable. The only data point that I have is reading about one person in a similar situation who did that but said it didn't help enough and they wound up having to trade the car in for a loss. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you to have a custom cushion built.

But before going to that expense you may want to first try a low-tech solution that someone else did, they figured out how to open the seat back without damaging it and literally installed a piece of plywood which they say helped them tremendously. Of course their situation may be different and it might not turn out to be the best solution for you, but you may want to read their experience and how they did it. The first link is their general description of what they did, the second link is photos, although you have to be a member of the forum to see the photos.

https://insideevsforum.com/community...e-3#post-88810

https://insideevsforum.com/community...e-4#post-90227
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 07:19 PM

Former C-Max owner

Sorry to hear about your back pain; I have issues myself occasionally, but probably not as severe as yours, so I hope you can resolve it. Have had my 2019 Clarity Touring for 4 months now and still loving it. Just did a 3 1/2 hour drive to VT and back with no comfort issues. BTW, traded in my 2013 Ford C-Max hybrid for the Clarity; great little car, went on long road trips, camping, and carried 2 kayaks many times over its 97,000 miles. Averaged 37 mpg lifetime here in CT so that gave me a taste of what EV could do. Good luck!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 07:40 PM

I have had this experience in other cars. Every back and car seat are slightly different. This is why I like to take long test drives. My suggestion would be to see a chiropractor. Not only can they treat the back pain but also recommend a seat cushion-lumber support pillow.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 06:17 PM

Sorry about your back pain. I presume you have tried some of the easier sitting changes that may affect your driving posture ?

One thing I've done, consistent with the manual's driver's air bag safety warnings, is to move my seat back as far as my left leg can comfortably reach. The result, helpful at least for me, is a slow stretch of the muscles of the left lower back. Which also complements my getting into a more erect position. For the particular spinal configuration of my scoliosis, this proved very helpful.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page