Missing Grill/Trim? - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 2002
  • 1 Post By ClariPIinAK
  • 1 Post By altfuelcarguy

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Missing Grill/Trim?

Hi, we have a 2018 Clarity Plugin Hybrid. When I was washing it last weekend, I noticed that there is no grill on the small air intake just below the drivers side running light. That seems odd to me - I can look in and see a small radiator. From washing the car in the past, I don't remember that being so open. I checked with the local dealer and they're clueless, nor do they have one on the lot to compare with. Can someone look at their clarity to see if there's a grill there, or is it just open?

I've attached a photo with an arrow pointing to the intake.

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grill.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	399  
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:37 AM

Yes, indeed! The passenger side has a complete black plastic blocking filler. But the driver's side is 100% open and there is a small, but very tightly finned aluminum radiator.

What does that thing cool? Anybody know?

Thanks for noticing!

Rob
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPaul View Post
Yes, indeed! The passenger side has a complete black plastic blocking filler. But the driver's side is 100% open and there is a small, but very tightly finned aluminum radiator. What does that thing cool? Anybody know?
It's listed as ATF cooler even though our cars don't have a transmission, at least not in the traditional sense. The hose appears to go to the electric motor area so it could be cooling the motor.

The battery and inverter have their own radiator, when you look through the main big grill you can see a radiator with sort of a plastic screen protecting it, that's the battery/inverter radiator. Immediately behind it is the AC condenser, which sticks out a couple of inches below the battery/inverter radiator. Some people are concerned about those couple of inches of the condenser being exposed and have purchased a screen from Voltshop that attaches in front of the main grill. To see it go to their website and click on Honda Clarity at the top of the page.

They have so far not made a screen for the ATF cooler although I supposed you could fashion one yourself although not sure how to attach it securely.
RobPaul likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to Both of You

Thanks for weighing in. I'll not stress about the lack of a grill.
RobPaul likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 02:59 AM

FWIW, I have the Fuel Cell version of the Clarity and it, too, has the same opening and radiator/ filter looking thing at the back. Shortly after I got the car I bumped into a high curb while parking diagonally and upon checking for damage noticed the opening. Concerned that I must have dislodged the opening's grille, I phoned the dealer, and the agent ran out to look at their other Clarities. The dealer was as surprised as I was that there is nothing covering that opening.
2002 likes this.

Altfuelcarguy
Davis, California
2017 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell, Black Crystal
2018 Chevrolet Volt Premier, Green Mist
2010 Toyota Prius II, Pearl White (currently in New York with my daughter for college)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page