No Apps for Clarity? - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 7Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 02:27 AM

I think what sucks of having a dedicated phone for Android Auto is that your normal main phone will not be connected to the car anymore as Android Auto or Apple CarPlay also uses Bluetooth.
My primary phone is an iPhone, but I do have a few extra Android phones laying around. I tried to do that but gave up because it was too cluttered and cumbersome.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to attempt to update the Garmin data today. The Garmin built-in solution seems ok so far. What don't you like about it, 2002?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 09:28 AM

Interesting. I would have expected the car to accept concurrent Bluetooth connections. That is a problem with using a dedicated device then. I have one set up (no battery) that boots when power is applied. I'll provide details on that hopefully today too.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp79 View Post
I think what sucks of having a dedicated phone for Android Auto is that your normal main phone will not be connected to the car anymore as Android Auto or Apple CarPlay also uses Bluetooth.
Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in the Clarity only use the USB connection, they don't use Bluetooth. Phone calls and text from the phone are unaffected. So I am surprised that if you plug a second phone into USB and run Android Auto that it would affect your main phone's Bluetooth connection for phone calls. Now when the phone is plugged in it does switch the infotainment's media audio source to Android Auto, which can affect some (not all) media apps. If I am running an app that won't play through Android Auto I just press the audio source button at the top of the infotainment screen and change the media audio source to Bluetooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufu View Post
The Garmin built-in solution seems ok so far. What don't you like about it, 2002?
It's more about what I like about Google Maps that Garmin doesn't have. Number one is POI (points of interest) which in Google Maps is constantly updated and very accurate, including closing times of businesses. Garmin POI is always out of date, and from what I understand the map updates only update streets they don't update POI. Even if that's not true and even if POI is updated once a year through downloads that's not current enough, as new restaurants, stores etc. open all the time (or close, or move). Not to mention closing times changing, especially this past year. The closing time feature alone has come in very handy for me, saved me from having to pull over so that I can look up closing times using the web browser. Number two would be traffic, very very helpful real time traffic info has helped me so many times when there are wrecks or just backups, not only does Google Maps warn you about them but it offers alternate routes that it displays on the screen and shows you how many minutes you will save with each one. Waze is even better for that but Google Maps does good also. Third would be satellite view, I use that almost exclusively as I like seeing a photorealistic view of the area that I am driving through.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page