Winter driving alert - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Winter driving alert

If you get caught in a snowstorm on the road, be aware that snow can collect on the "H" emblem on the grill and render your radar system inactive. The dash will light up and tell you that, but you might not be aware how to fix it. If possible, pull off the road and scrape the snow off the emblem.
Terry
Cruiter and obermd like this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 PM

Garage
Snow or ice build up

Yep, and another area it can build up that can bother you at night if the snow is heavy is the headlights. It's not limited to our cars though, any later model car with LED headlights can experience that. The old filament halogen headlights would create enough heat to melt most of the snow or ice. But that heat is a drain on economy even with gas cars. Makes the generator work harder. Our LED lights use negligible energy and produce almost no heat in comparison.

We're spending much less to operate these cars, it's why we bought them but there a few trade off's we have to endure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969tc View Post
If you get caught in a snowstorm on the road, be aware that snow can collect on the "H" emblem on the grill and render your radar system inactive. The dash will light up and tell you that, but you might not be aware how to fix it. If possible, pull off the road and scrape the snow off the emblem.
Terry

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Yes, you are right. LED Traffic Lights experience the same issue.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...snow-1.3465301
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:21 PM

You should only use the traction and stability control in inclement weather any way, and avoid the other safety features in all but light rain. You'll want to have all of the control of the throttle, brakes and steering if you start to hydroplane in rain, or start slide on a snowy road.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 AM

Garage
Not So

Inclement weather is especially when you need those features with one notable exception. If in deep powdery snow and stuck, sometimes it's helpful to turn it off until you get out. Otherwise leave all on. Recently while in a Corvette performance driving school at a track in Pahrump NV, we learned what happens when doing figure eights on a large asphalt grid that was very wet. As soon as we turned those features off, we were barely able to go faster than a crawl.
While going fast on the (dry) track however, we didn't completely turn them off but did minimize them to get through turns faster.

Those features are all computer controlled and can control the amount of braking each wheel does even to the point of slight braking on inside wheels in a turn at speed to prevent spinning out. It considers the position of the steering wheel, speed of each wheel, and throttle to help prevent loss of control. It can even retard the throttle if necessary. If you believe you're better than the best technology available, then feel free to turn it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makessense View Post
You should only use the traction and stability control in inclement weather any way, and avoid the other safety features in all but light rain. You'll want to have all of the control of the throttle, brakes and steering if you start to hydroplane in rain, or start slide on a snowy road.
obermd likes this.

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:03 PM

I try to avoid message board debates, because I'm such a lousy typist. But in response to Cruiter, I did say to leave traction and stability control on. They have made a huge difference in my comfort level in driving in snow. But using lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control in inclement weather, especially in snow, in my opinion, is over reliance in the safety systems( although not quite to the extent of taking a nap while driving your Tesla). The adaptive cruise control will do everything it can to stop you, but it won't anticipate that you are too close to the car in front of you to have the time to compensate for the increased stopping distances from slippery surfaces. Or if you run up on an icy over pass at 70mph, it might be unable to correct. These safety features rely on your tires ability to regain traction. If the momentum of the vehicle turns it sideways , you might be in the ditch before the system recovers your traction and steering control. Having my foot on the gas peddle is the best way for me to know what's too fast for the conditions. The electronics can only react to what they see. It's up to the driver to anticipate the possibles beyond the scope of them. I'm not going to rely on Honda Sense to make sure I''m far enough from the car in front of me on a snow cover road, or to realize there could be black ice on the other side of that turn where the trees block the sun from melting the snow. I am in awe of how fast computers can process vast amounts of data. I live in the northeast where it can snow 6 months out of the year. You can be going too fast for the electronics to save you. I will never use any kind of cruise control, radar or not, in anything more than damp roads.

Last edited by makessense; 12-09-2018 at 08:13 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:05 PM

BTW, It must've been a blast to take a Corvette on a track!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Winter driving alert

The two times this has happened - the first in a CR-V- the pavement was dry. Large flakes were falling but no accumulation on the road since they were early snows and the ground was still warm. The cold air plus highway speed caused the flakes to accumulate on the emblem and freeze. On icy highways or those where heavy rains have fallen, cruise control presents problems.
Terry
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:22 AM

Driving in snow

Another issue to monitor in winter is build up of slush and snow around the rear tires. You need to clean the wheel wells out a bit before it freezes at night. The rear skirts do not make that an easy task.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Garage
An apology is due

My humble apologies. I must have thought I read to 'not' leave the stability and traction control on. So sorry, I should not go on here when that tired LOL.

Yes, it was more than fun. GM subsidizes a two day performance driving event when you buy the new 7th generation (C7) Vette. We only had to pay to get there. I also purchased the optional 3rd day where we could actually race against our teammates on the track. We just weren't allowed to pass when in one of the many turns. I did learn to place a lot of trust in the computers. They think a lot quicker than we do. Especially in the dynamics during braking hard in a turn for instance.

The car with the Z51 package and performance exhaust was supposed to have a top end around 185+ depending on temps, road surface, altitude etc., the fastest I had mine was just north of 140 during an event at Talladega. We could go into the turns around 90 and stand on the throttle coming out around 140+. A day I'll never forget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makessense View Post
But in response to Cruiter, I did say to leave traction and stability control on. They have made a huge difference in my comfort level in driving in snow.

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page