Phone speaker not working - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MPG+

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Phone speaker not working

Wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue. I like to take notes with a voice recorder app on my smartphone. A while back I noticed I couldn't hear anything when playing back a note in the car. Then I also noticed I wasn't getting audio directions from my map app. I figured out by turning off the phone's Bluetooth, everything worked normally. Is there a setting in the Clarity I need to adjust so my phone and my car "play nicely"? Thanks!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 11:28 PM

You might try using Apple Car Play or Android Auto instead of Bluetooth...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG+ View Post
Wondering if anybody else has experienced this issue. I like to take notes with a voice recorder app on my smartphone. A while back I noticed I couldn't hear anything when playing back a note in the car. Then I also noticed I wasn't getting audio directions from my map app. I figured out by turning off the phone's Bluetooth, everything worked normally. Is there a setting in the Clarity I need to adjust so my phone and my car "play nicely"? Thanks!
On the infotainment screen press Source then press the Bluetooth icon and now your phone apps will play through the car speakers. Selecting the source is not required for phone calls, only for apps. Bluetooth will remain as the selected source, unless you select FM, AM or Sirius , if you do then the next time you use your phone apps you will have to select Bluetooth as the source again.

As you discovered if you don't select Bluetooth as the audio source, but your phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth, then you won't hear any audio either on your phone or your car speaker, until you either select Bluetooth as the audio source, or turn off Bluetooth on your phone like you did then the sound will come from your phone.

If you use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay apps those will automatically run the audio through the speakers. However if while using Android Auto (not sure about CarPlay) for say Google Maps, but at the same time you want to listen to files on your voice recorder app, you won't hear your voice recorder unless Android Auto is selected as the audio source, even though your voice recorder is not an Android Auto app. Usually Android Auto is selected automatically as the audio source when you are running Android Auto, but sometimes it isn't. You can still hear Google Maps or other Android Auto apps through the speakers even when Android Auto is not selected as the audio source, but you won't hear non-Android Auto apps if Bluetooth is selected while you are using Android Auto, you have to select Android Auto as the audio source. Again I'm not sure if it works that way with Apple CarPlay also.

Last edited by 2002; 02-01-2020 at 02:40 AM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 2002, that makes sense, kinda, ha ha. So now I'm wondering if I'm running Google Maps via Android Auto, can I have music playing at the same time from another source? I'll have to test to find out...I'm thinking it was easier with separate components...a cd player and voice navigation that coexisted...when the navigator had something to say, the cd volume automatically reduced.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG+ View Post
So now I'm wondering if I'm running Google Maps via Android Auto, can I have music playing at the same time from another source?
Yes, you can - you just need to change screens. Start whatever audio you wish to hear then change to Android Auto and start navigation. The audio will continue playing and the volume will mute whenever directions are given. I've done this with the car's radio, with audio files on a flash drive and with audio files on the phone. I use an Android App for listening to audiobooks that is Android Auto enabled - and can run both that and Google Maps at the same time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
Yes, you can - you just need to change screens. Start whatever audio you wish to hear then change to Android Auto and start navigation. The audio will continue playing and the volume will mute whenever directions are given. I've done this with the car's radio, with audio files on a flash drive and with audio files on the phone. I use an Android App for listening to audiobooks that is Android Auto enabled - and can run both that and Google Maps at the same time.
Cool, and thanks for the tip.
Kerbe likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page