Consumer Reports: Clarity least reliable sedan - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Consumer Reports: Clarity least reliable sedan

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...bility-survey/

Faulty dashboard lights, inaccurate climate controls, and trunk lid problems reported by users cause this rating? Haven't experienced any of these. I think the first two were fixed by software updates.
Terry
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 AM

Garage
I haven't experienced any of these issues either. I've had my Clarity serviced once and that was routine maintenance (oil change, inspection, etc.) and they said it came back cleaner than expected. I haven't had a single electrical issue or warning lights issue. I'm not entirely sure what the whole trunk latch issue is, but I know my trunk opens as expected.

I'm sure if something's wrong with a set of their cars, Honda will make it right.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:01 PM

When I first got my Clarity, I loved it, but I was sure something terrible was wrong with my trunk latch. When I would try to close it, three out of four times it would mysteriously flash lights and warning beeps and refuse to close. Only the next day did I realize that the problem was pilot error. Leanng in to close the trunk while the fob was in my pants pocket identified the situation as fob in danger of being locked in car. Keeping the fob pocket away from the trunk when closing solved the problem!
4sallypat likes this.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3xbot View Post
I haven't experienced any of these issues either. I've had my Clarity serviced once and that was routine maintenance (oil change, inspection, etc.) and they said it came back cleaner than expected. I haven't had a single electrical issue or warning lights issue. I'm not entirely sure what the whole trunk latch issue is, but I know my trunk opens as expected.

I'm sure if something's wrong with a set of their cars, Honda will make it right.
You might not be so sure if you read the problems that have surfaced with the 1.5T engine in the CRV. While their response in China has been adequate, they have only obfuscated in the US and Canada.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNewby View Post
When I first got my Clarity, I loved it, but I was sure something terrible was wrong with my trunk latch. When I would try to close it, three out of four times it would mysteriously flash lights and warning beeps and refuse to close. Only the next day did I realize that the problem was pilot error. Leanng in to close the trunk while the fob was in my pants pocket identified the situation as fob in danger of being locked in car. Keeping the fob pocket away from the trunk when closing solved the problem!
Yes, it happen to me when my wife and I driving in the same car she has her second key in her purse and when we get out the car and my wife decided to leave her purse in the trunk for security purpose and the trunk will not closed every time we push trunk down it pop up right a way finally my wife said oh it may be the key inside the purse causing that and she took the key out and then the trunk is shut right a way so I think this is the safety feature that car recognize the key is inside the car.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNV513 View Post
Yes, it happen to me when my wife and I driving in the same car she has her second key in her purse and when we get out the car and my wife decided to leave her purse in the trunk for security purpose and the trunk will not closed every time we push trunk down it pop up right a way finally my wife said oh it may be the key inside the purse causing that and she took the key out and then the trunk is shut right a way so I think this is the safety feature that car recognize the key is inside the car.

We had the same issue at the aquarium last weekend, my wife figured it out right away and I kept her keys in my pocket. Great safety feature once you know about it, but we almost walked away from an unlocked trunk with keys in it!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969tc View Post
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...bility-survey/

Faulty dashboard lights, inaccurate climate controls, and trunk lid problems reported by users cause this rating? Haven't experienced any of these. I think the first two were fixed by software updates.
Terry
Given the number of Clartys that were sold in 2017 or early 2018, that CR based its review on, I wonder how many complaints were submitted.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Garage
I read the article and tho I subscribe to and generally like CR, by their own admission they have only been as right as the test cars they purchased performed for them. They have never been a large fan of factory NAV systems. There seem to be no consistency in a 'standard' operation between them. Having said that, Honda has not been their favorite. Other things were minor dissatisfaction on the operation of a few features and the lack of lower back support for the drivers seat. I don't support their comment re: bad reliability. With the exception of the Tesla, CR has generally shied away from endorsing any type of hybrid. I didn't see a CR comment on the engine. Can you provide a link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaFan View Post
You might not be so sure if you read the problems that have surfaced with the 1.5T engine in the CRV. While their response in China has been adequate, they have only obfuscated in the US and Canada.

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:22 PM

I had the engine freak out yesterday ( ran at such a high RPM in HV mode that I thought the engine might blow) so took it in to the dealer for that, the 1000 mile range issue, the wipers hitting the pillars (again third time in for that) and the seat heater coming on when I turn on the heat (but not every time of course) and the regen paddle giving me three flashing arrows then two solid ones and the regen not working at all. Thinking about invoking the lemon law and getting an Accord Hybrid or CRV.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:27 AM

My Clarity will do the same with regen when the battery is full, or when the gas motor is on. The computer will limit the regen capability to protect the battery. It is designed to do that so the batteries are not overcharged. This happens most often to me in HV mode. Also the motor will run at a higher rpm under HV charge mode or under high acceleration demands.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page