Honda Dealer Inventory - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Honda Dealer Inventory

I have been looking at the local Honda dealers and I am recognizing that all of them have about six 2018 Clarity cars in inventory.

First, I was curious on when the 2019 Clarity was put to the market. Secondly, why would the 2018s not sell over the 2019 models - it seems to me that if there is no differences in the cars, they would easily sell at a minor discount over the 2019 models. Third, any thoughts about whats going on with Honda for the Clarity in 2020? It seems like the primary compliant of lumbar support and entertainment system could easily be addressed in a mid production update.

I did a True Car search, the dealers discounting now though the Clarity is moving, they dont seem to be flying of off the shelves without help.

I will not be specific but knowing the current discount levels. I am wondering if I should trade and move into the Clarity today or see what happens to the Clarity in 2020. I am not in immediate need for car today and can afford to wait Im just one to pass up a good deal.

Rene
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The 2018 that had great deals (Dealer Discount) all went away in Jan/Feb.
Since then the 2018 deals have become less attractive.

The ones that are left over usually means the dealer is hanging onto them for some reason and will not deal as well.
My dealer blew thru all 2018 by the end of February but that's because they are a super high volume Honda dealer....

Not knowing which state you are in - makes a huge difference in applying Honda incentives...
The 2018 are currently in CA: $7900 Honda incentive (lease) plus $2500 Dealer discount is a super good deal if you can find a dealer willing to make the deal.
The 2019 are currently in CA: $6000 incentive (lease or finance) plus around $1500 Dealer discount.

I don't see a mid cycle refresh for the Clarity in the next few years as the model is not a hot seller.
Japanese cars seem to the slowest when it comes to a life cycle impulse....

I am not bothered by the lack of lumbar support, infotainment issues, and no sunroof on my Clarity - I use it as a commute car.
The Base trim was perfect as no one else drives the car and don't need the seat memory, leather, nav, etc....

My other ICE car has all those higher end features for the family drives, etc.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:42 PM

The midwest was finally included for some honda incentives. I was stuck at 31,600 for about a month until this past weekend all the dealerships in MN cut their prices. Was able to get a base for 29k. Still not as good as the west coast deals but good for flyover country.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018phev View Post
The midwest was finally included for some honda incentives. I was stuck at 31,600 for about a month until this past weekend all the dealerships in MN cut their prices. Was able to get a base for 29k. Still not as good as the west coast deals but good for flyover country.
What kind of incentives or price cuts did MN dealerships make?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post

...Not knowing which state you are in....
I would guess AtlantaRene is in Atlanta, GA and probably named Rene.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:24 AM

There's a 2018 in the trim and color I want sitting on the lot at the largest Honda dealership in my state. It's been sitting there for 450 days and its price has remained unchanged for that entire time: This is not an EV-friendly state so no incentives of any kind, not even "I'll cut you a break to get the d**ned thing off the lot!"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:53 AM

Kerbe

As you may be aware...a PHEV vehicle sitting in a lot for many months can be problematic...I stress can be.

The problem comes about if the traction battery has not been kept at least partially charged. LION batteries don't do well if left in the elements uncharged for extended periods

To check the health of the traction battery (not the 12 volt)...tell the dealership any potential sale is dependent on the vehicle passing a properly administered Battery Capacity Test (BCT)

For the Clarity PHEV...the BCT should show the battery is close to 55 amh ..or there about. The further below 55 the BCT reveals...the higher degree of probability the battery is not in good shape.

53,54,55 you're probably ok. Get below 50 into the 40's...red flag.

And your right...even if BCT is ok...a sizeable price reduction is called for.

Hope this helps
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gadgeteer View Post
I would guess AtlantaRene is in Atlanta, GA and probably named Rene.
Oh no, Im not so anonymous after all.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, I have been looking at the Clarity for a while. I guess I can do without the Sunroof or Lumbar, its just been a while since I have owned a car without those two features. I was considering it my daily driver to replace my 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring (low miles and still serving me well). My other car is a 42-mpg motorcycle.

The math works. I would like to be EV most of the time, but otherwise its a lateral move with less miles on the odometer. Undecided, may pass and see what comes in 2020.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:57 AM

I think there are two main reasons for the Clarity's lack of a sunroof... 1) Sunroofs are not that popular in Japan, 2) the weight savings was significant.

For myself, I've owned quite a few cars with sunroofs and hardly ever used them. They were just more maintenance, keeping the rails lubricated and keeping the seals protected with 303 Protectant.
Miles777 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page