So, you want to buy a Clarity, but you donít live in California. Yes, it can be done - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 8Likes

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 02:07 PM

If I were in the market right now for a PHEV or EV, I would give up on anything that isn't readily available in my area. For me, that leaves the Chevy Bolt EV.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I did not mean to discourage anyone with my "wall of words" from trying to buy and ship a California Clarity. I was hoping by being detailed I could help someone else do better than I did by learning from what I did that worked, and from what did not. Having done it, I would do it again.
[email protected] likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashevillian View Post
I did not mean to discourage anyone with my "wall of words" from trying to buy and ship a California Clarity. I was hoping by being detailed I could help someone else do better than I did by learning from what I did that worked, and from what did not. Having done it, I would do it again.
I'm sure that many people will feel that the effort that you went through, which basically was just a bunch of emails and phone calls, was worth it to save $2,000. Others won't. The more information the better, those who probably wouldn't do it anyway won't read all of your post, those who are interested in possibly saving a decent amount of money will likely pore over every detail, and like you said maybe get through the process a little easier knowing the details of your experience.

The unknown dynamic for 2020 is whether some parts of the country might start seeing cars on dealer lots in their state, and possibly some discounts although it's too soon to tell. The east coast received a bunch of 2019 models early last year, but then they didn't receive any more for the rest of the year. We kept hearing that many if not most of the cars they got in early 2019 sat on the lot all year because east coast dealers would not come down on price, as Honda apparently didn't offer any dealer incentives there like they did in 2018.

South Tacoma Honda in Tacoma Washington has eleven 2020 Clarity sitting on their lot that they just received, seven base and five touring. I think they started with twelve so they have apparently already sold one. Presumably someone can get a discount from MSRP there but we don't know that for a fact yet, especially since neither we or probably even the dealer know whether they will get any more shipped to them this year. Honda may decide to keep it to 7,000 cars like they did last year (compared to 24,000 in 2018) and they may ship to other states based solely on how many cars are not needed in California.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 09:24 PM

I didn't mean to come off so harshly--and I did read every word.
It did sound painfully involving but clearly you accomplished your goal and came out of it with a good story, to boot!

I may be back in touch if my local endeavor falls apart.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 02:32 PM

We tried to get a Clarity last Fall, 2019. Did not seem to be happening. Local dealer followed every lead he could. Finally found out he could get a 2020 if we waited until March. Ended up being mid April but we got it. He was able to get 3 more at least for general stock.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billb View Post
We tried to get a Clarity last Fall, 2019. Did not seem to be happening. Local dealer followed every lead he could. Finally found out he could get a 2020 if we waited until March. Ended up being mid April but we got it. He was able to get 3 more at least for general stock.
Glad you waited and got one!

What state is this dealer located ?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 12:46 AM

We're in Illinois.
4sallypat likes this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 05:18 PM

We took delivery of the car we ordered on January 31 yesterday.

It took 7 1/2 months but we got the color and trim that I wanted at my hometown Honda dealer with 3 miles on the odometer.
4sallypat and 2002 like this.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Garage
Definitely not so easy to get in other provinces/states

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and there are very few Clarities in dealers here. However, my friends in other provinces which don't have provincial incentives will have to put a deposit down and order from Honda. I think the situation is the same in the US as only states have tax incentives will stock the car. I think the Clarity PHEV is only available in the North American market as it is no available in other parts of the world. Correct me if I am wrong, but Honda is making this car to meet the emission standards and they are not making a ton of profits from this car. I recently came across this Peugeot 508 PHEV and it has quite a resemblance to the Clarity, especially from the front with the daytime running lights. I don't think they have mentioned the price but the specs and styling is fairly similar to the Clarity, here's the link if you want to check it out:
I got my Clarity on May 5th, 2019 and it has been amazing since, the most range I got was 105 km and I have put in $14.25 worth of gas since I bought it.
The only thing that really bothers me is the engine coming on quite often after a full charge and stay on for 2-3 km.
Does anyone know if I can buy the BEV version of this car as I know they are only available for lease in California.
Have an awesome weekend everyone!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
@michaelwei you are correct, Honda makes the Clarity for 2 reasons: CAFE credits for emissions and popularity in California. I see more and more Clarities on the road here in So Cal where 2 years ago, they were a rarity...

As for the Peugeot - that looks very handsome.
I wonder if it will be for sale in the USA since the article seems to make it a EU / UK / Canada only model ?

Love the rear:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page