Selling my Clarity Touring - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 2002
  • 1 Post By obermd
  • 1 Post By 2002

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Selling my Clarity Touring

I bought my 2018 Clarity PHEV Touring in July, 2019. It is black and black, in like-new condition, with 4900 miles. I live in Portland, Oregon and am looking to sell this car as I am now retired, disabled and can no longer afford this car for my infrequent driving.

I am thinking of around 23K. If youre in the western states and buy the car, I would consider driving it to you. Please message me if you would like more information.

DJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08BBD95B-F3F0-4B75-B3FD-25A450E54FB6.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	351  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:06 AM

For anyone considering this who has never had a black car, I hadn't either until I bought my Clarity and I am quite happy with it. The main reason I got black was because I wanted the black interior and that only comes with solar silver, modern steel and crystal black. I was almost going to get modern steel but then I noticed that the black exterior does a great job of hiding all of the unusual Clarity styling You hardly see the fender skirts unless you are looking for them. And it eliminates the floating front bumper effect. And it pretty much hides the air scoops on the side.

Now I'm not knocking the styling, for those who like or don't mind the styling then I'm sure you are happy with the color that you got. But for me the styling was going to take some getting used to, and by getting black I didn't have to bother as I really don't see any of it unless I am looking for it. Something to think about for those purchasing new also if the styling is pushing you away from the car, you might want to take a look at a black one.

Having a black exterior wasn't too bad during this past summer, remote climate of course helps. And I am guessing it must be helping during the winter which is actually harder on EV range. Hasn't been as hard to keep clean as I thought it would be, I guess I had been hearing horror stories and had been expecting worse.
4sallypat likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:48 AM

Just be aware that black in black puts a heavy load on the car's A/C. The A/C will work but it takes longer to cool the interior. Keeping a black car clean really depends on the paint job - some are miserable and others are ok. From 2002's comments it sounds like Honda did one of the better jobs.
4sallypat likes this.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obermd View Post
Just be aware that black in black puts a heavy load on the car's A/C. The A/C will work but it takes longer to cool the interior. Keeping a black car clean really depends on the paint job - some are miserable and others are ok. From 2002's comments it sounds like Honda did one of the better jobs.
I'm wondering how much of the AC usage with a black car is offset by less heater usage in EV. People seem to report a heavier hit on EV range from using the heater than using AC. Clarity unfortunately doesn't have a heat pump which would be more efficient and instead uses a resistance heater to heat coolant coming into the cabin.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
I'm wondering how much of the AC usage with a black car is offset by less heater usage in EV. People seem to report a heavier hit on EV range from using the heater than using AC. Clarity unfortunately doesn't have a heat pump which would be more efficient and instead uses a resistance heater to heat coolant coming into the cabin.
My Cruze was Black in Black. On Winter afternoons I frequently had to run the A/C. My Volt is Black in Silver/Gray and the Clarity is Tan in Green. I have to run the heat in these two cars in the same conditions where the Cruze was running the A/C. The Clarity needs the heat more often than the Volt - black seats capture heat. Basically, black interiors shift the heat vs. A/C point to lower external temperatures and adding a black exterior shifts it even more.

The other thing to remember is in the morning when it's coldest you haven't had the benefit of solar heating of the cabin, so the car's exterior and interior colors don't matter in this scenario.

As for which is more efficient, heat pumps are more efficient than resistive heat. Air Conditioning is always a heat pump, just pumping in the opposite direction.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obermd View Post
My Cruze was Black in Black. On Winter afternoons I frequently had to run the A/C. My Volt is Black in Silver/Gray and the Clarity is Tan in Green. I have to run the heat in these two cars in the same conditions where the Cruze was running the A/C. The Clarity needs the heat more often than the Volt - black seats capture heat. Basically, black interiors shift the heat vs. A/C point to lower external temperatures and adding a black exterior shifts it even more.

The other thing to remember is in the morning when it's coldest you haven't had the benefit of solar heating of the cabin, so the car's exterior and interior colors don't matter in this scenario.

As for which is more efficient, heat pumps are more efficient than resistive heat. Air Conditioning is always a heat pump, just pumping in the opposite direction.
I have seen various studies done regarding differences in exterior color which indicate about a ten degree difference in interior temperature during summer between white and black cars, and an estimated 0.5 mpg difference in fuel economy. That is less than the mpg difference between different types of tires. So while the effect is there it doesn't seem to be major, or similar to the case of tires not something that should be an overriding factor in a purchase decision. That being said my previous three cars were white specifically because I wanted to reduce the temperature during summer, and since white is among my favorite colors it was an easy choice for me. But if someone likes how black looks, or in the case of Clarity there are "styling" advantages to black, I don't think it should hold anyone back as the difference in mpg or EV range should be minor.

Back to my question of any advantage during winter, of course for an ICE car winter is a moot point since you normally have plenty of waste heat from the engine available. So it is understandable that I haven't seen any studies yet showing efficiency differences during winter with different car colors.

But with EV's there would be a difference, I just haven't seen any studies quantifying it yet. But if it is anything like a ten degree difference in winter that would be significant, especially for cars like Clarity that don't have a heat pump and instead use resistance heat which as I said is less efficient than a heat pump. However during winter the sun is at a lower angle, and there may be more cloudy days depending on location, so the average interior temperature difference might be less than ten degrees. But still heater efficiency being more of an issue for Clarity in winter than AC usage in summer, I would take a guess that it works out to a similar 0.5 mpg advantage in winter for Clarity by having a black exterior. If it is less than a 0.5 mpg gain during winter then at least it somewhat offsets the estimated 0.5 mpg loss during summer, making it even less of an issue.

Of course the actual comparison value would be MPGe but I used mpg for this discussion just because that is what is reported in studies that I have seen about summer efficiency differences.

Last edited by 2002; 01-16-2020 at 01:49 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
I have seen various studies done regarding differences in exterior color which indicate about a ten degree difference in interior temperature during summer between white and black cars,
While I haven't actually quantified it, this matches my experiences with Black in Black, Black in Gray, and Tan in Green.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 PM
kvs

I have the same car (2018 5K miles) and the dealer would give me $22k. Yours is a Good price. Washington residents get a tax reduction on the first 16K, so about $1.6K. Dealers in WA are advertising 2018 for $26 to 28K. Subtracting premium for dealers of about 10%, and also looking at KBB, suggests car may sell for closer to $24K to private sellers.

BTW, I am looking to get a wheelchair capable truck or I would keep this Clarity.

Sorry to hear about your disability and financial situation. God Bless.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Does anyone think we should have a "Clarity for Sale" subforum ?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Does anyone think we should have a "Clarity for Sale" subforum?
I don't know, it's somewhat rare that a forum member sells their Clarity since most owners are extremely happy with their car. When it does happen for whatever reason I think a lot of us like to see what's going on, why are they selling it, how the sale is going, etc. If it became a regular occurrence then probably a subforum would be needed but I suspect we are a few years away from that.
4sallypat likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page