Was the battery ever charged while sitting on the lot? - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Was the battery ever charged while sitting on the lot?

I just purchased a 2019 Clarity Plugin Hybrid, and It just dawned on me I did not check the date of manufacture. May have been on the lot for a long time.

I know it is not good for the battery to get below 20 or 30%, wonder if the dealer had been keeping it charged up? Anyway to know? Does the car keep a log?

The last 6 digits of the VIN are 006252, anyone have an idea what the date of manufacture is based on the VIN?

I will not be picking it up for a couple of more days, had to wait from last Wednesday for funds to transfer to an account that a check could be written from, now another 3 days or so before we can pick it up. Now I am getting a bit concerned about the condition of the battery. It is not buyers remorse, just I feel like a dunce not thinking of this downside of buying a plugin Hybrid from a dealer. I have been following Tesla, when new those pretty much come direct from the factory. Makes me wonder about the folks still buying 2018's left on some lots.

I am pretty sure I read that Honda maintains a good buffer high and low, am I correct? but if it just sits for months? It had only about 15 miles on it before my test drive, so if it came fully charged to the dealership, how long would it take to drain beyond the lower buffered limit?

It was on the Charger prior to my arrival for the test drive, and was fully charged, so was not able to see what state it was in prior to that charging session.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman View Post
The last 6 digits of the VIN are 006252, anyone have an idea what the date of manufacture is based on the VIN?
VIN 006252 is quite new I would say manufactured in about October. Mfg date is on the driver door jamb. The battery should be fine, but also dealers are supposed to do a battery capacity test as part of PDI but most don't unless you ask for it. It's not really a test as battery capacity is a stored value in the system and they hook up their computer diagnostic system to get the value. Typical new battery tests at around 55 Ah. Warranty replacement only occurs if it tests below 36.6 Ah
Sailorman likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Since the car is still not delivered, it would be in the best interest of the dealership to have it fully prepped (PDI) and fully charged.

Ask them to do that as you have time and it makes the sale that much more solid.

As long as you don't drive it off the lot, you have the pull / leverage....
Sailorman likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Since the car is still not delivered, it would be in the best interest of the dealership to have it fully prepped (PDI) and fully charged.

Ask them to do that as you have time and it makes the sale that much more solid.

As long as you don't drive it off the lot, you have the pull / leverage....
Dealers almost always do PDI, what they don't do is the battery capacity test because although technically part of PDI it is not on the checklist that they give you. You have to specifically ask for the battery capacity test. You should receive not just the PDI checklist but the printout from the capacity test. Many owners don't know this at the time of purchase and have to go back later to have the test done or have it done when they take the car in for the first service.

As for having them charge the battery before delivery, true many dealers don't unless you ask. Saves you about $1 in electricity and makes your first ride home more enjoyable. One drawback, many dealers don't have a dedicated place to charge so if you insist that they charge it they will just park the car next to an outlet somewhere where people are walking all around it or driving past it, a place where cars are not normally parked. Personally I chose to forfeit the $1 in savings and I drove my car home from the dealer in HV mode.
Sailorman likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all that replied, It is indeed an October car, I called Honda headquarters, they said Oct. 11. So this is just arrived at the dealer not to long ago.

This dealer, Kirkland Honda, is a great outfit, total satisfaction so far, they have level two charger inside the work bays.

I will indeed ask for a printout of the battery capacity test.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 PM

I hate to argue with 2002 but, in my experience, dealers do NOT always do the CLARITY DPI - they do the standard Honda DPI. I downloaded a copy of the Clarity DPI and handed it to the Service Manager who said, "Where did you get this?" to which I replied, "Online, why?" His response? "I've never seen this before."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
I hate to argue with 2002 but, in my experience, dealers do NOT always do the CLARITY DPI - they do the standard Honda DPI. I downloaded a copy of the Clarity DPI and handed it to the Service Manager who said, "Where did you get this?" to which I replied, "Online, why?" His response? "I've never seen this before."
I didn't say always, I said "almost always" to make it clear that dealers don't always do PDI, but my point was that while they usually (but not always) do at least some version of PDI they will not normally do the battery capacity test. I was responding to another comment where someone recommended to ask the dealer to do PDI, and I was re-emphasizing what I said in my previous post that just asking for PDI will likely not result in a battery capacity test you have to ask for it. Handing them the Clarity PDI sheet like you did is even better since the capacity test is mentioned there. It's SB 17-093. But even handing them the sheet I have my doubts that they would check the battery capacity unless you ask for it, not when many dealers don't even bother to install the noise reduction body plugs even though they check the box that they installed them. Many owners found the plugs in the trunk or glove box still in the plastic bag and had to install them themselves (it's not that hard to do, which makes it even worse that dealers don't even do something simple like that).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My selling dealer did not do the battery capacity test on the PDI checklist.
But then when I saw when the car was made and when it was delivered to the dealer (6 weeks), it's a fresh as I can find.

Loving the 10 year / 150,000 battery warranty - definitely can sleep at night!
Miles777 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Brought the Clarity Plug In home Thursday night, my wife loves the seat position, seat comfort, and the ability to put her purse under the wing thing!! She had not even seen a Clarity anywhere before so I dodged a bullet on this move. It was the only Touring model within a 500 mile or more radius of my address here north of Seattle, so did not hesitate when offered 1k off the MSRP.

When we picked up the Clarity the other night, the salesman did not have the PDI, nor the battery capacity test, which I was very specific about prior to coming down. I am still waiting.

Here is a link to a post from the InsideEV forum. It has their 5 page battery capacity test report. https://www.insideevsforum.com/commu...-results.5836/

Wow, lots of info, it is comforting to know that the diagnostics are so sophisticated. It is much more than a capacity test.

Page 1 lists the capacity as 55.1 amp hours. Voltage is listed on two pages, 293 volts. Using an online calculator, the result was 16.2 kWH's.

Has anyone else had this capacity test done? Why are the dealers so reluctant to perform this test?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman View Post
Here is a link to a post from the InsideEV forum. It has their 5 page battery capacity test report. https://www.insideevsforum.com/commu...-results.5836/

Wow, lots of info, it is comforting to know that the diagnostics are so sophisticated. It is much more than a capacity test.

Page 1 lists the capacity as 55.1 amp hours. Voltage is listed on two pages, 293 volts. Using an online calculator, the result was 16.2 kWH's.

Has anyone else had this capacity test done? Why are the dealers so reluctant to perform this test?
As I mentioned before it's not really a test, the battery capacity is a stored value in the system and they hook up their computer diagnostic system to get the value. They will see the battery capacity number on the same screen as a bunch of other diagnostic information, they could simply note that it's above 36.6 Ah and tell you that it passed, or write down the value and tell you what it was, or print the page of items that has the battery capacity value, or print all five pages or whatever of the entire diagnostics and hand that to you which is probably what they did in the thread you are referring to.

Last edited by 2002; 12-14-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page