Front licsense plate holder - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 2002
  • 1 Post By Kerbe
  • 1 Post By 2002

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Front licsense plate holder

I bought my Clarity in Oklahoma where they don't require a front plate so my car did not come with the plate holder. I have moved to a state that does require the front plate so I went to the dealer to get one. The cost is around $40 for the piece of plastic and the screws to mount it but worse is the fact that I must put screws into my bumper cover which I really don't want to do. Any other way to do this?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don7778 View Post
I bought my Clarity in Oklahoma where they don't require a front plate so my car did not come with the plate holder. I have moved to a state that does require the front plate so I went to the dealer to get one. The cost is around $40 for the piece of plastic and the screws to mount it but worse is the fact that I must put screws into my bumper cover which I really don't want to do. Any other way to do this?
I took mine off because front plates are not required in Georgia. From what I remember there were some clips, with screws that tighten the clips but no holes in the bumper that I can remember. Maybe someone who took theirs off more recently might remember where the clips go and how they attach. You would think the clips would come with the frame that you bought but maybe it's a separate part number.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:29 PM

Here's the installation info from the PDI - it seems you drill one hole at the top, center, and then use two clips at the bottom corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clarity front plate.png
Views:	22
Size:	652.5 KB
ID:	287  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
Here's the installation info from the PDI - it seems you drill one hole at the top, center, and then use two clips at the bottom corners.
Mine was attached with just the two clips, they didn't put in the top center screw. Seemed to hold tight enough, however if the front plate is required then I guess might as well install the center screw. But if I thought I might later move to a state that doesn't require front license plate I would probably chance it with just the clips and risk having to buy a new plate if it falls off.

If not using the center screw then in addition to the clips you could maybe use double-sided adhesive assuming the holder fits flush against the bumper. Not the cheap double-sided tape the better stuff used for attaching badges and things.
Kerbe likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
...But if I thought I might later move to a state that doesn't require front license plate I would probably chance it with just the clips and risk having to buy a new plate if it falls off.
In case you do end up with holes in your bumpers, there are companies such as this one that provide push-in plugs that have been painted to match Honda's colors: https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...product_id=101
2002 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
In case you do end up with holes in your bumpers, there are companies such as this one that provide push-in plugs that have been painted to match Honda's colors: https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...product_id=101
That's even better, people will think your car has fancy sensors!
Kerbe likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page