Recommendation on Clarity or Accord Hybrid - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 5Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Recommendation on Clarity or Accord Hybrid

Hi,

I've been looking at new cars, and have been very happy with my 2014 Honda Accord. So I would like to stay with Honda, but would like to get a Hybrid or a PHEV. That narrowed my choices to the Accord, Clarity and the Inisight.

The Insight is a little on the smaller side for me, so I am trying to decide between the two. My daily commute to work is about 20 miles round trip along back roads. Also, my wife is currently living in a town about 180 miles away, and will be there for another two years. So i end up driving there atleast twice a month. The clarity makes great sense for my local commute but i am not a huge fan of the 7gallon gas tank and ~300mile range. While the Accord Hybrid on the otherhand would give me a 600 mile range.

I really want to get the Clarity, so i was hoping anyone would give any suggestions or ideas on what would be your recommendation and also how the Clarity performs for regular road trips?

Thanks
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:36 AM

Welcome aboard!

I can only compare the Accord with the Clarity as I did not look at the new Insight.

First, are you in a ZEV state ? Have you done any research on a Clarity's incentives for your state?
That makes a huge impact on the purchase of a Clarity due the local, state, and Federal incentives not to mention Honda's incentive.
My 2018 Clarity, I received: $7800 Honda incentive + $2500 Dealer discount + $500 Honda State employee + $1500 CA CVRP + $1000 Utility + CA HOV Clean air carpool exemption stickers.

Second, are you a sports driver orientated Honda owner ?
The reason I ask is that the Accord is available with so many trim levels and engine sizes, that you need to ask yourself. I used to be the sports car type (BMW, Land Rover, Merc) but now have gotten older and found I can dump my radar detector and DCT tranny, AWD, sport tuned suspensions... The Clarity is not a sports car orientated car - it's the same size as an Accord, but has the high respect of a primary EV commute car with it's current owners.

Third, did you know the range of the Clarity varies with a fully charged EV battery, how you drive it, use of regen paddles, and climate control use ?
Mine gets a 425 mile total range if I drive the car using regen paddles, no climate controls, low city speeds, lots of braking, and single driver without any gear loading the car.

Last edited by 4sallypat; 05-06-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Sorry to answer your questions with more questions but it will help people to tailor their answers a little better:

"I've been looking at new cars"

Is five years typically how long you keep a car, even one that you are very happy with?

"have been very happy with my 2014 Honda Accord"

What especially do you like about it?

"would like to get a Hybrid or a PHEV"

Any particular reasons why? (people want hybrids for different reasons)

"my wife is currently living in a town about 180 miles away"

Can you charge where she lives?

"i am not a huge fan of the 7gallon gas tank and ~300mile range. While the Accord Hybrid on the otherhand would give me a 600 mile range"

Other than the 180 mile trip twice a month do you sometimes make even longer trips?

One last question - what state do you live in?

Again sorry if it seems like prying but the answers will help give better advice. Not that anything you have said indicates Clarity would not be a good car for you but still it helps to know what exactly someone is looking for and what things are important.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 PM

I drive 185 miles one way about once a month. With a full charge of about 60 mile range doing 60-65 mph I use 2.7 or 2.8 gallons each way for a combined 70 mpg. I doubt the accord can do that.
Kerbe likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM

My total range is usually 365-400 miles
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:49 PM

Or more...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0B939CF-A3F9-4AA6-971C-9D2F07EB6AB3_1557362955375.png
Views:	100
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	179  
Kerbe likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:41 PM

One other thought: The Clarity PHEV is rated at 42 mpg as an ICE vehicle, NOT while running as a hybrid (which it does nearly all the time). So that 300 mile figure would be if one was driving with a totally depleted traction battery.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:07 AM

I test drove the Accord Hybrid and the Clarity. In our test drive the Clarity was a different class car as it was heaver, quieter, smoother and more luxurious. We got a silver touring model and absolutely love it. I did 1200 miles the first 6 weeks and did not use gas! We then drove 750 miles (NC to MA) in 13 hours and while we had to make an extra stop for gas we still beat our record for the trip and was not beat up! It is a very technical car and we love it!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Items to consider

I am an owner of a 2017 Accord Hybrid and is the prior body style but the hybrid drivetrain is nearly identical.

The 2019 Accord Hybrid has an 48 overall mpg and 12.8 gallon tank so the EPA estimated range is about 600 miles. “In my experience”, driving on a highway trip at about 70 mph, the mpg will drop to about 42 mpg. So, a real world highway range estimate is more like 500 miles. My overall MPG is between 45 to 46 mpg. Hybrids are impacted by weather, so if you live in a colder climate you may see less efficiency in the winter when running the heater - it’s good that these cars come with heated seats.

The 2019 Accord Hybrid has the battery under the rear seat, you can fold down the rear seat and the pass through to the trunk should be what you would expect in any Honda Accord.

In my opinion, there are no compromises from the Accord to the 2019 Accord Hybrid.

Any new body style Accord has a lower roofline above the rear seat and a stiffer ride. You may want to look at this when buying a new Accord.

I am sure that others can compare the Clarity to the Accord better than I can. If you are interested in the Touring Model, there are a few less features than the Accord. The front driver’s seat is not as adjustable and there is no sun roof. The entertainment system was not updated, so WiFi hotspot and other features are not there. Differences in blind spot warning vs. camera. Then there are some unique Clarity items, the trunk has a odd shape, the pass through is smaller than expected, rear visibility is aided by a window.

It also depends on how much you drive. My commute to work is about 20 miles round-trip. With the Clarity, I would be EV nearly about 5 days per week. This is very appealing.

Honda has been willing to make a deal on the 2018 Clarity offering thousands of dollars of discounts making the car really affordable. I paid about $32,000 for my 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring. A 2018 Clarity can be had for about $32,000 and then there is the $7,500 Federal Tax Incentives (federal tax incentives impact people differently depending on your tax situation and you should check with a tax advisor). However, if you can realize the full tax incentive, you could buy a 2018 Clarity Touring for an effective rate of $24,500 (this could be less if your state offers tax incentives) and then buy a level two charger.

I hope this helps.
4sallypat likes this.

Last edited by AtlantaRene; 05-09-2019 at 07:48 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:09 PM

"AtlantaRene" is spot on in highlighting the differences between the Accord and Clarity. I drive a bit less than 40 miles per day on my commute, and have been on EV mode since buying a new 2018 Touring model in Pearl White last month. I shopped around to see dealers who have left over stocks, and then negotiate. I got mine for $29K OTD in VA. With the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit, it was an easy decision. Love the new wheels!
AtlantaRene likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page