My beloved (Watson) Clarity was wrecked - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My beloved (Watson) Clarity was wrecked

Last Saturday I was on my to Costco when I saw a wreck unfolding in front of me. A lady completely blew a stop sign from a street on my left and a Jeep Cherokee coming toward me swerved to miss her. He couldn't completely do it and the right side of his car sheered her front bumper off. I'm getting ready to stop as a witness but..... His collision with her and his attempt to get back into his lane on a wet street spun him around and he hit me on my side with his rear end probably somewhere between 20-30 mph as a glancing but solid blow. See the photo.

My Clarity reacted exactly as it should have, the power to the drive train immediately disconnected (tho the dash stayed on and electronic selector shifted to park) and the car spoke to me saying it had detected a crash, would I like to call emergency services. Wow, our free On-Star type service for free used my cell phone and made the 1st call. During the collision process the driver and passenger curtain airbags deployed. My driver seat hip airbag blew from the side of the seat but when I examined it, much of it was still folded (sort of) in the seat bolster. It may have come out and returned, I couldn't tell for sure but I have zero injury's save for a very light right shoulder rash caused when the seat belt tightened up (as it should have). I happily accept that. No other bags in the dash or right side deployed so if there is no frame, suspension, electrical, or other damage It will come to approx. $10,000 to replace two doors, rear quarter, bumper cover, airbags and drivers chair.

If it gets repaired with just that, I may keep it. I'm hoping for a total but USAA will need it to go to probably around $12 to $13,000 for that to happen. The dealer has a 2018 white Touring with black leather but I want to keep with the tan leather if I stay in a Clarity. I went across the street to the Toyota store and test drove the (1st ones just coming in) RAV4 hybrid. It's a really interesting all wheel drive (standard on the hybrid version) with the rear wheels getting power from the electric motors. Under the hood it's electrical component looks much like ours sitting next to the engine and above the tranny. A loaded one is about the same price as our Touring Clarity models and it's rated mileage is 39 city, 40avg, and 41hwy. Quite a car for the money so something to think about. If Honda's CRV offered a Hybrid version it would be a no brainer but …..

I just wanted everyone to know how well the Clarity managed the wreck with all the systems designed to protect the passengers working perfectly. Just musing here, I wonder if I got another 'new' Clarity if I'd qualify for another $7500 tax credit LOL? If so, that could affect my decision. But the RAV4 for basically the same money is also a lot to consider. Most of the models also come with the 360 degree outside camera visibility. And most of the packages include the rearview mirror that is also able to show a camera image from up high if you have large things in the back area blocking your vision. Feel free to opine your opinions on choice of car if that becomes an option.

I just heard from the body shop, the lead Honda tech from the service dept cannot get the car started to get it into the shop, they're trying to contact the engineers in CA to get past that hurdle. My app shows the traction batteries at 90% + a half tank of fuel but the 12v is not doing anything tho it shows a full charge when they checked it. Grrr

In the one view showing all three cars, you can see the Jeep Cherokee off in the background backed against the curb across the street after clipping me. After acting like a pinball and hitting two cars prior to stopping he was the only one able to drive away with just minor right side and rear bumper damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_112814 in street with airbag deployment.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	139   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_112956 as they stopped after wreck.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	141   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190422_144851 at Honda garage.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	143  

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:58 PM

Cruiter

Sorry to hear about the misfortune. Glad everyone okay though.

I have a 2017 Toyota RAV4 hybrid limited which is a very nice vehicle in it's own right. Good size, solid vehicle that gets good gas mileage for it's size. i-awd works well and it has all the bells and whistles and safety features one could ask for. Two years 29k of trouble free ownership. No regrets.

However...Kinda tough to compare the two...I'm partial to sedans and love the Clarity overall. Tough to beat e-mpg. Like comparing apples with oranges... tough to do.

Good luck!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:11 PM

Wow, what an ordeal!

Glad to hear you are fine and the car worked well to protect it's occupants.

Good to know when the airbags deploy, the system shuts down the drive and calls for help!

The car probably won't re-start due to the airbag deployment for safety reasons (fires).
I remember my BMW was hit like that and the airbags deployed, power locks unlocked the car doors, hazard lights came on, an emergency call made to BMW Assist, and the main 12V link was blown to prevent a fire.
That main 12V link that blew was a small explosive charge placed near the battery to stop high power to the drive train but there was a small high resistance lead that still connected the car's MID/TCU...

OP: remember to use your preferred body shop for repairs - you don't have to go thru the other party (at fault) insurance body shop.
Also, make sure you claim your diminished value claim against the insurance company after the repairs are done.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Hope everything is settled to your satisfaction.

One minor error I'll point out... The Jeep is a Grand Cherokee, not a Cherokee. That generation of Grand Cherokee is uni-body but a pretty tough SUV.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:26 AM

So sorry Jim!

Glad you are OK.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Choices

I got the word late this afternoon that the car will be totaled. But no other news such as what they will give. The body shop manager gave USAA a 'very good' on car condition if it had not been damaged. It's the highest rating on the software and valued it as equipped with 8774 miles and worth $24600 not wrecked. I'm guessing that's the number I'll be working with.

If that's it, I'll have to decide whether to get another 2018, pay more for a 2019, or spend lot's more and go for the new Rav4 Hybrid that just came out. The top of the line 'Limited' is around $39 to 40K depending on the variables and paint. Does anyone know for sure if I could get another large tax credit for year 2019 if I bought another Clarity? Last year's credit sure came in handy.

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-01-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 PM

As long as Honda doesnt sell 200,000 EVs...you will absolutely get the 7500...assuming you paid enough in taxes.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:21 AM

No limit on the number of tax credits you can claim. Leasing companies routinely claim thousands in a single year.

$24,600 + the $7,500 should allow you enough to replace it with another Clarity (if that's the route you decide to go)

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 AM

Garage
That sucks, glad you're OK.

Two things for stuff like this:

1) I run a separate front & rear dash cam setup, they operate flawlessly. Total cost of roughly ~$100 dollars & nobody can argue against your dash cam footage.

2) I carry two cans of these small fire extinguishers, one in the front & one in the back. You never know when they might come in handy...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rob43
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (22).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	161  
4sallypat likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:56 AM

Wow, never thought it would be a total because the pictures show minor body panel damages.

I guess there are underlying damages that we can't see...

Can't believe the car is worth so little compared to MSRP in less than a year....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page