Driving for Quiet - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNewby View Post
I agree with you, that there is a greater $/mile using HV Charge than HV. And, I appreciate your detailed clarity power experience going from LA to Vegas strictly on HV. If I drive from LA to Vegas I will follow your advice. Thank you.

But we have slightly different requirements here? We are to gain 6000' not 1700'. And we have a requirement that it be done as quietly as possible. As EV goes to 0 there will definitely be a greater strain on the ICE. So the question becomes what are our chances of this happening with HV vs HV+HVCharge on the downhills?

It would be nice to get a definite answer from someone who has actually done it. But until then?
My experience and what I have read on this board is that if you are in HV, it will hold your charge constant (withing a few EV Range miles) and you will not go down to zero. So I think the elevation gain will not be an issue, but it would be great to get this verified. As for the noise, you are correct, I am not sure what the best option would be.

It is sad that it seems that there is more good info on this board than from any Honda source on these matters.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for more good information. What I’m having trouble understanding is how could that little engine pull a 4,000 lb. car up the hill and charge the battery at the same time without racing. Wouldn’t the engine need the help of the battery?

Btw, I’ve just realized that, while it would be dangerous to drive up this curvey Interstate at a slow speed, it would be possible to tuck in behind trucks laboring up the steep inclines at very slow speeds if that would help.

I’ve started a thread called “Phoenix to Flagstaff” in the hope of finding someone who has actually driven the route, as several of you nice people have suggested.

Tom
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:09 PM

Yes, the ICE will not be happy pulling you up hill at a high speed without the help of Battery charge. Down hill, provided you are not going too fast, it will be able to add charge. Hence The success of hybrid mode. But the charge accounting is not going to balance out if there is a net extra 6000 climb accumulation.

Another place to ask the question is on insideevs.com. Go to Forum>>Clarity
You will find a wider audience.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNewby View Post
Yes, the ICE will not be happy pulling you up hill at a high speed without the help of Battery charge. Down hill, provided you are not going too fast, it will be able to add charge. Hence The success of hybrid mode. But the charge accounting is not going to balance out if there is a net extra 6000 climb accumulation.

Another place to ask the question is on insideevs.com. Go to Forum>>Clarity
You will find a wider audience.
+1 on using the insideevs.com... it gets much more traffic than this site.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:04 PM

Interior Noise

I'd say my experience is similar to Cruiter's in that I bought it in May and am coming up on 8000 miles. Most of our driving is local and within the EV range so, of course it's very quiet most of the time. I like the fact that I used 55 gallons of gas in 2018 and 24 so far in 2019. I usually get in a 200 mile trip each month so I'm on gasoline during most of that time. Yes, the engine is noisier than pure electric (duh) but even though it's running high rpms (probably more like 4000 than 3000 I'd think) I don't find it objectionable, just noticeable because of the EV noise level. I live in SoCal and we've taken it on several week long trips where charging stations were limited or non-existent.
I have the Standard rather than the Touring model but find it a very comfortable car for touring.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 AM

The elevation change in your question

is the key. But as to noise level, in battery mode the Clarity is just gorgeous. Like you, most of our driving is local on a daily basis and on most days we drive in battery mode EV and never use gas. It's as quiet as any luxury car and a pure joy to drive on the battery. But a number of Clarity owners, including us, have had multiple problems with a sudden loss of power to the wheels when the battery is down to '2 bars' and switches over and needs support from the engine. Also, when the engine runs to charge the battery in HV mode, it can be REALLY loud -- and this is on flat highways in Iowa with NO elevation change. When in HV Charge mode, it can just outright whine at extreme RPM levels. The loss of power issues are currently being investigated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration -- I heard from one of their investigators this past week. Through my dealer, I also received a statement from Honda USA that concedes that the Clarity can have a hard time holding battery on long, extended inclines -- in any mode. So, given your drive involves significant elevation change, I'd find the Clarity hard to recommend.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page