How to: lock doors while "on", Run when Charging? - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

How to: lock doors while "on", Run when Charging?

I have about 1k miles on my Clarity Hybrid and need some help that I can't get from Honda (the person started reading the manual to me, which I'd already researched). I'm looking for a way to lock the car with it in "on". Dog is generally in car and AC needed potentially all year, but at least 8 months. At the dealer my partner figured out how to do it with the key in the fob, getting that out and using it regularly will make the latch holding it in fail, likely and the clever design makes it hard to hold and use regularly. I had a copy made at a very reliable locksmith for $50 (blank and laser cut). Any electronic way to accomplish this? 2nd item, when charging 240V will the charging continue after I start the car (not moving), conversely will charging begin with car still on? I like almost everything about the car, even the suede dash and rear wheel wells that I saw as garish are fine - the explanation of the benefits of reducing air drag won me over, and we'll see how the suedette holds up to puppy drool etc. So far, I do hate nearly everything handled by the center console. The navigation is glacial and locked out when moving (I realize there areb likely DOT regs and/or consent decrees applicable. The voice recognition is terrible and slow, it's generally running on or with Android 4.2, not sure if this is emulated over something else, but brief experiments with Apple iPhone is better UI and faster. I can attempt root, etc any ideas?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:35 AM

You can always do the pre-conditioning feature on the keyfob after you lock the doors.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Claire: Yes I understanding that is available, but I believe that feature which the Android app calls "Climate" will run a maximum of 30 minutes, then it must be activated again. In addition, it seems to attempt to get to the setting temp setting already in the car - the app reports back there in car temp after you enable "climate" but doesn't show the set temp in the vehicle and doesn't report whether it's heating or cooling - a I'm guessing Honda had already deployed the feature on dongles or keys didn't add these needed UI items in the app - something they would implement with an app revision if supported by the API/interface.

Last edited by mrbonine; 11-24-2018 at 08:51 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:30 PM

Sorry that's all I got as a suggestion. The extra metal key idea seems to be a solution and would have been my second suggestion but you already thought of that. You could try turning on the car while hooked up to 240v but i think the car will not turn on while it is hooked up to a charger.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 AM

From where you have got the extra metal key, can a locksmith be able to make it?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:59 PM

From what I found, none of the electric vehicles will allow you to charge them with the car on. I believe it is a safety feature and probably mandated by the Feds.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemell View Post
From what I found, none of the electric vehicles will allow you to charge them with the car on. I believe it is a safety feature and probably mandated by the Feds.
The Volt will charge while the car is on. What EVs won't do is shift out of Park with the charging port connected, so we shouldn't have any of this:

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page