Is my ACC working correctly? - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Is my ACC working correctly?

Hi everyone, I purchased a Clarity PHEV in July (2018). I've been enjoying the car and getting used to all of the advanced technology in the vehicle. Unfortunately I had a fender bender involving the front end within 6 weeks of the purchase.

It seems to me that the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is now behaving erratically. Though I didn't have extended highway experience with the car prior to the accident, in limited use the ACC seemed very reliable and smooth in its ability to adjust to changing traffic and speeds. Now, if I turn on ACC, the car seems to accelerate more heavily, even when another vehicle is in front of me. The ACC senses the vehicle in front eventually and then slows dramatically. Sometimes the vehicle seems to repeat this accelerate/decelerate pattern several times before reaching equilibrium. If speeds change or another vehicle changes lanes the adjustment cycle will happen again.

I really don't recall this behavior before the accident. I think I need to take the car back to have the radar unit checked for damage and proper alignment. But before I do that, I wanted to see if any other owners have experienced something similar. Maybe I'm expecting more from the technology than it is capable of. But I doubt Honda would introduce a feature that was not thoroughly tested and deemed safe.

thanks!
jim
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 AM

Garage
Jim, While it's always possible a frontal accident could alter something, it really sounds like you may have the follow 'distance' adjustment adjusted too close to the vehicle's you're following. It's the adjustment on the right side of the steering wheel. If you're unsure of which one, then read page 409 in this link http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATRW1818OM.PDF and it will guide you. If that doesn't help then You'll need to see the dealer. Let us know if it works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkvoriak View Post
Hi everyone, I purchased a Clarity PHEV in July (2018). I've been enjoying the car and getting used to all of the advanced technology in the vehicle. Unfortunately I had a fender bender involving the front end within 6 weeks of the purchase.

It seems to me that the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is now behaving erratically. Though I didn't have extended highway experience with the car prior to the accident, in limited use the ACC seemed very reliable and smooth in its ability to adjust to changing traffic and speeds. Now, if I turn on ACC, the car seems to accelerate more heavily, even when another vehicle is in front of me. The ACC senses the vehicle in front eventually and then slows dramatically. Sometimes the vehicle seems to repeat this accelerate/decelerate pattern several times before reaching equilibrium. If speeds change or another vehicle changes lanes the adjustment cycle will happen again.

I really don't recall this behavior before the accident. I think I need to take the car back to have the radar unit checked for damage and proper alignment. But before I do that, I wanted to see if any other owners have experienced something similar. Maybe I'm expecting more from the technology than it is capable of. But I doubt Honda would introduce a feature that was not thoroughly tested and deemed safe.

thanks!
jim

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page