Recommendation (or not) for Level 2 charger - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DucRider

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Recommendation (or not) for Level 2 charger

It appears that our magic carpet (#156) may be arriving a month earlier than anticipated. So, the scramble is on for the infrastructure readiness<g>.
I did run a 50A 240V feed to the side of the house in the last couple weeks so that part is taken care of. Now we need to pick the charger. I have seen the following to be the "favored" models.
  • Clipper Creek
  • Charge Point
  • Siemens
  • Juice Box
In our particular case, this will be an outdoor installation with exposure to the element. The plug itself is enclosed weather proof with cable exit but the charger itself will be sitting outside exposed to rain, direct sunlight, etc.

Are there any recommendation / dis-recommendation on the Level 2 chargers from those who have used them with your clarity?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 05:21 PM

I love the Juice Box I have. It has wifi communication which I use. It was not one of the cheapest but I wanted to make sure I got a 40amp so that it would take full advantage of 32amp charging. Full charge in 2hr 10 min.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 01:55 AM

The choice of EVSE (the charger is actually built into the car) largely depends on the priority you put on various aspects. Also worth checking as some building codes require outdoor EVSE's to be hardwired.

Is WiFi and data logging important?
Built in the US?
Support/warranty US based?
UL listed?
"Ruggedized" like some of the Clipper Creeks?
Portable?
As fast as possible on your 50A circuit, or matched to the charger in the Clarity?
Capable of sharing if you want to add another EVSE on the same circuit?
A longer than average cable option available?

Also - remember to file for your 30% Tax Credit
4sallypat likes this.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:28 PM

I am actively shopping for a replacement charging system for at home. I have a Leviton 40amp currently and the connector isn't communicating anymore with Claire. I am seriously considering a Chargepoint 6-50 EVSE for $700. I were contemplating replacing the cable but it costs $500 for the cable alone from Leviton - and there is no proof that this would definitely fix the problem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Some answers below. I am leaning to Juice Box 40 at this time.

Is WiFi and data logging important? - Nice to have, not required
Built in the US? - Not required
Support/warranty US based? - Yes. Do not want to ship stuff back overseas for support / repairs
UL listed? - Yes. Hard requirement
"Ruggedized" like some of the Clipper Creeks? - Maybe. Needs to be outdoor rated. Does not need to be vandal / tamper proof
Portable? - No. Fixed, permanent mounted installation.
As fast as possible on your 50A circuit, or matched to the charger in the Clarity? - Needs to support max rate the car will take.
Capable of sharing if you want to add another EVSE on the same circuit? - Not required. Only space for one vehicle in the space.
A longer than average cable option available? - 20ft required. 25ft or more desirable.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhguy78 View Post
I am actively shopping for a replacement charging system for at home. I have a Leviton 40amp currently and the connector isn't communicating anymore with Claire. I am seriously considering a Chargepoint 6-50 EVSE for $700. I were contemplating replacing the cable but it costs $500 for the cable alone from Leviton - and there is no proof that this would definitely fix the problem.
https://qccharge.com/products/j-plug...cable-assembly
I got a 30 footer for our Leviton when we switched from the Fit EV to the Clarity.
Had to park the bigger Clarity in a different garage bay, and it was a longer cable or move the EVSE (and rewire the circuit).
The also have just the J1772 plug assembly, but either crimping the pins or soldering the connections is more than many want to tackle.

Tony has been doing this for a very long time and has a good reputation. We've had no issues with the replacement cable. The plug is a little tight in the Clarity, but that's not unusual from other reports I've heard. It's gotten better over time.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:03 AM

I've been totally pleased with the Siemens Versicharge I purchased from Home Depot! I went with the hardwired unit to mount inside my garage. The units for outdoors are plug-in, with the housing mounted over the receptacle. I was also able to save $100 by buying a factory-refurbished unit (came with the full "as new" warranty) and then received a $250 cash rebate from my electrical utility once it was installed.

It's not a stylish thing, the Versicharge, but it's very easy to use and has a throbbing "halo" of green light while it's charging.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:24 PM

We just installed a Clipper Creek 40A model to go with our new Clarity. I thought wifi might be nice, but since the car already talks to my phone, so the wifi to the charge seems like it would be redundant. Bout the 40A as it was just a few dollars more than the 32A when shipping was considered -the 40A shipped "free" I installed a 50A wiring and breaker. Our local code would have required a local disconnect if I had gone any larger.

We are happy so far with the charger.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 02:19 PM

Well put, N21HV. Conforms with my experience, except I bought L2 EVSE that is not UL-listed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page