Recommendation (or not) for Level 2 charger - Page 3 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 9Likes

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gadgeteer View Post
I am happy with my MAX GREEN Outdoor-Use EV Charger purchased on Amazon. I generally use it indoors but I like the fact it is outdoors rated and came with adapters for just about every common 240v outlet. It is 16A which does a full charge in about 4 hours which seems super speedy to me since the first year of my Clarity I was charging with the stock cord at level 1 for 12 hours. Which surprisingly wasnt an issue either.
Looks it comes with a built in plug that is 6-20, then it comes with adapters for 5-15, 6-50, 10-30, 14-30 and 14-50. They also make a 16A Max Green Outdoor that is dedicated for 10-30 (does not come with adapters) which is $80 cheaper than the other model, so for someone with an older style dryer outlet that could be a low cost solution.

Regarding my previous comment about using adapters, to be more specific I was referring to buying an EVSE that comes with a single plug type, then going onto eBay or Amazon and buying a no-name adapter from who knows where to make it work with a different type of outlet. However if the EVSE comes with adapters for various plug types seems like that should be okay because then you know the EVSE is designed for those circuits.
The Gadgeteer likes this.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:14 PM

Thank you everyone for the feedback!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:38 PM

I just got my Charge Point Home Flex installed with a 6-50 plug and 40amp circuit and it's working well.
It pulls 31a which surprised me since I thought the max charge rate for the 2020 Clarity was 6.6kw, and I'm getting 31amp x 240volts = 7.44kw.
Anyway just thought I'd share incase anyone else was interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5177.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5178.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	441  
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umass2ucr View Post
I'm a few weeks away from buying a 2020 Clarity PHEV. I'm having some ceiling fans installed and I asked the electrician about EV charging. He pointed out (remarkably quickly) that I had an unused 240V outlet near my clothes dryer and suggested it would make a good L2 EV outlet. The outlet is probably the wrong type (house built in 1974) and it's behind the dryer which is too far from the driveway. I'm going to have him run some conduit inside the garage so that I can charge my car from outside the garage. What outlet type do I need...assuming the electrician doesn't already know?
The outlet you probably need is a NEMA 14-30P. It is a four prong dryer outlet. It is what I used for my setup in my garage. Is it the fastest? No. However, I can charge my Clarity in 3 hours for a full charge. I use a Clipper Creek LCS 30P model. Whatever you put in the Clarity can only max charge at 6.6 Kwh (kilowatts per hour). This EVSE charges at a rate of 5.8 Kwh which is really close to the maximum that the Clarity can take. The Clarity has a 17.8 KW battery so 17.8/5.8 = 3.06. That is how many hours to fully charge an empty battery. It works great for my use. Here is the link for it. https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-3...arging-station

EDIT: It is actually a NEMA 14-30 outlet. I started typing and didn't check my words. Thank you 2002 for pointing out my mistake.

If you have any questions just ask. I got my Clarity this past weekend and I love it but I did a ton of research before I bought it.
2002 likes this.

Last edited by billnye97; 07-21-2020 at 12:16 PM.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnye97 View Post
The outlet you probably need is a 10-30P. It is a four prong dryer outlet. It is what I used for my setup in my garage. Is it the fastest? No. However, I can charge my Clarity in 3 hours for a full charge. I use a Clipper Creek LCS 10-30P model. Whatever you put in the Clarity can only max charge at 6.6 Kwh (kilowatts per hour). This EVSE charges at a rate of 5.8 Kwh which is really close to the maximum that the Clarity can take. The Clarity has a 17.8 KW battery so 17.8/5.8 = 3.06. That is how many hours to fully charge an empty battery. It works great for my use. Here is the link for it. https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-3...arging-station
Actually the outlet type that you are using is 14-30 which is four-wire, not 10-30 which is three-wire. Clipper Creek does not make a 10-30 EVSE, as stated on their website

https://www.clippercreek.com/does-cl...30-receptacle/

10-30 has not been legal for new installations since the late 1990's, however installations that were done prior to this are grandfathered in. umass2ucr said that their home was built in 1974 so there is a good chance that they have a three-wire circuit for the clothes dryer using a 10-30 outlet.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
Actually the outlet type that you are using is 14-30 which is four-wire, not 10-30 which is three-wire. Clipper Creek does not make a 10-30 EVSE, as stated on their website

https://www.clippercreek.com/does-cl...30-receptacle/

10-30 has not been legal for new installations since the late 1990's, however installations that were done prior to this are grandfathered in. umass2ucr said that their home was built in 1974 so there is a good chance that they have a three-wire circuit for the clothes dryer using a 10-30 outlet.
You are absolutely right. I started typing and totally mis-typed it. It is a NEMA 14-30 outlet.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnye97 View Post
You are absolutely right. I started typing and totally mis-typed it. It is a NEMA 14-30 outlet.
Were you able to use the existing dryer outlet or did you have another outlet installed?
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
Were you able to use the existing dryer outlet or did you have another outlet installed?
I actually installed a dedicated outlet in the garage because it was the easiest one for me to install myself. I installed a 30amp circuit and ran romex 10/3 10AWG up into my attic and down to the garage and installed the 14-30 plug where I wanted it. A newer electrical box was installed in 2018 when the previous owners added an addition to the house so I probably could have gone higher but I wasn't comfortable to do that on my own.
2002 likes this.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:21 PM

Update: The electrician found that the 240V outlet for the dryer in the garage wasn't live, and there are no leads in the circuit breaker box. D'oh! Soooo, it looks like I'll be charging at 110V to start out. Oh geez do I need a dedicated outlet to do that?
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umass2ucr View Post
Soooo, it looks like I'll be charging at 110V to start out. Oh geez do I need a dedicated outlet to do that?
A dedicated outlet is not required as long as you are careful not to overload the circuit, with the best advice being to not run anything else on that circuit while charging. The OEM EVSE uses about 12 amps, which could lull someone into thinking that this still leaves 3 amps on a 15 amp circuit, or 8 amps on a 20 amp circuit. However for continuous power draw the electrical code limits to 80% of rated, which is right at 12 amps on a 15 amp circuit, and 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit. Running something else briefly on the circuit even if it's over the 80% limit is probably okay but still best avoided if possible.

If you don't have a circuit map of your home you need to make one, it will come in handy for other future projects or DIY repairs also. It's the only way to know for sure what else is on the circuit, you can't rely on whatever they wrote on the panel. Plug in a lamp into all the outlets in the house one by one while someone else trips each circuit breaker. If you are by yourself you can plug a radio into the outlets at full volume and you should be able to hear it when it cuts off. For ceiling lights etc. you just turn them on and see which circuit turns them off.

Making a circuit map often reveals surprises, like things on the same circuit on opposite sides of the house. I was surprised to find out that my garage outlet is on the came circuit as all of the outdoor outlets all around the house as well as all of the outlets in the basement. And it's only a 15 amp circuit so I definitely have to pay close attention. However one advantage that I have is that I do 100% of my charging between 11:00pm and 7:00am because I am on a time of use plan, and I would almost never be using outdoor power or power in the basement during those hours. However I do have a dehumidifier in the basement so I have that on a timer so that the dehumidifier does not operate during my charging hours.

Another problem people can run into is charging at relatives or friends house, because it is unlikely that the friend or relative knows for sure what else is on the outlet that they are willing to let you use. Better to be safe and just avoid that, but if it's for example a relative that you visit often then you can always volunteer to make a circuit map of their house for them.
umass2ucr likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page