Recommendation (or not) for Level 2 charger - Page 2 - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 9Likes

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 09:22 AM

Since you don't want to ship back overseas I'd go with a hardwired ClipperCreek HCS-40 (https://store.clippercreek.com/hcs-4...category_id=74).

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amster View Post
I have the JuiceBox 40 and love it. I wanted the wifi capability to charge after midnight. You may be able to do that thru the Honda app on your phone, but there are two problems with that. I have, or had, a 22 mile drive to work. So I would charge at home at night, then plug it into a level 1 at work during the day. The app is not very intelligent. To charge during the day, you have to cancel the scheduled time or it won't charge. And then reenter it when you get home. It seemed like that would get annoying quickly. Also, I don't know about other people, but the app "forgot" my car, and after spending a lot of time trying to reset it, I've given up for now. So I'm glad I have something else.
Glad the JuiceBox 40 is working out for you, I'm sure it's much better than the somewhat quirky HondaLink app.

Although about the app, while it is true that if you have a charge schedule set that it will not automatically start charging when you plug in, all you have to do after plugging in is press and hold the charge button on the key fob and it will immediately start charging.

Also for me the app has been rock solid, I have used it almost daily for over a year to set my charging schedule, as I control how much charging I do each night and when, because I have a discount rate after 11:00 pm. However I know some people have had problems getting the app to work with their car, I don't know why some people have problems and others don't, but it seems to be something related to our individual accounts on the Honda server. Some can solve it by uninstalling the app and reinstalling, or removing their car then adding it back in. Some people have to call HondaLink support to have their account reset. Fortunately for me I have never experienced anything like that.

However one big concern is that our cars use 3G for communication with the Honda server, and 3G is in the process of being discontinued. Honda has not said if our cars can be upgraded, or if there will be aftermarket solutions available, and if so at what cost. So there is a chance the app will no longer work once 3G is gone. If that happens I can still do scheduled charging but I will have to go out to the car to set the timer. Or else get a JuiceBox or something similar.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amster View Post
I have the JuiceBox 40 and love it. I wanted the wifi capability to charge after midnight. You may be able to do that thru the Honda app on your phone, but there are two problems with that. I have, or had, a 22 mile drive to work. So I would charge at home at night, then plug it into a level 1 at work during the day. The app is not very intelligent. To charge during the day, you have to cancel the scheduled time or it won't charge. And then reenter it when you get home. It seemed like that would get annoying quickly. Also, I don't know about other people, but the app "forgot" my car, and after spending a lot of time trying to reset it, I've given up for now. So I'm glad I have something else.
If you have a charge schedule set, you can still start an ad hoc charge any time without changing the schedule. Press and hold for 1-2 seconds the charge lid release button on the key fob after you plug in. Also, if you don't like the Honda app (and who does?), the charge schedule can be set or cancelled directly in the dashboard interface. Press the "i" button (left thumb on the steering wheel) and scroll to "Vehicle Settings" (gear icon), then "Charge Schedule Setup".

Not able to comment on a charger recommendation for the OP, since mine is in the garage and rated for indoor use only.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 11:59 PM

I installed the Clipper Creek HCS-50. I have had no issues with it.

Clipper Creek is what we have at work and so I decided to buy the same for home. I bought it for $635 off of their website.

It is a bit larger capacity than what I needed but I figured I’d upgrade now for what a future PHEV or EV future car may need.

I love the charger and it has worked well. I do wish though that the company offered a left and right hand docking station for the plug when not in use. I ended up finding one on a 3-D printer website and had one printed off that for the hand I needed.

I greatly encourage this brand and charger.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 01:19 AM

If you want a bare-bones EVSE, then Siemens is the way to go: They're made in the USA (Georgia) and are available from your local Home Depot. HD online also offers factory refurbished units (with "as new" warranty), saving you even more money. They're not very attractive units (they look like props from a 1950s sci-fi film) but they are sturdy and weather-proof - they are designed to have the cable wrapped around them and have a built-in weather-proof "holster" on the front. They are usually available for less than $500, the least expensive model (with a 14' cable) running about $440 and, with a 20' cable, about $490. The Wifi-enabled unit costs about $200 more. If aesthetics are important the new JuiceBox units by EnelX are VERY handsome, indeed, but you pay for beauty...
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 10:55 AM

Siemens Charger

I too purchased a Siemens US2 VersiCharge Universal (VC30GRYU) 30 amp Level 2 charger for my Clarity Touring back in November 2018. It is a simple design, no frills charger that is ruggedly built. I have it mounted in my garage next to the parking bay where I park the Clarity. I use the HondaLink App to schedule my charge every night at midnight. The charger, as my Clarity, has worked flawlessly since date of purchase.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 05:32 PM

What outlet do I need installed for L2 charging?

I'm a few weeks away from buying a 2020 Clarity PHEV. I'm having some ceiling fans installed and I asked the electrician about EV charging. He pointed out (remarkably quickly) that I had an unused 240V outlet near my clothes dryer and suggested it would make a good L2 EV outlet. The outlet is probably the wrong type (house built in 1974) and it's behind the dryer which is too far from the driveway. I'm going to have him run some conduit inside the garage so that I can charge my car from outside the garage. What outlet type do I need...assuming the electrician doesn't already know?
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umass2ucr View Post
What outlet type do I need...assuming the electrician doesn't already know?
The type that matches the plug on the EVSE you purchase/own.

Most common is a 14-50 (which requires a 40 or 50 A circuit), but if you are re purposing a dryer outlet, it is most likely 30A and you would need to install a receptacle rated for that an an EVSE that would draw no more than 24A.
If you are installing a whole new circuit with new wiring and a new e 16A chargers in them, the clairtybreaker, you can install up to a 50A outlet. If you are hardwiring a unit, you can go even higher.
The Clarity charger will draw no more that 32A, so an EVSE that can supply more than that would 40A would only be utilized if you upgrade to a newer BEV. Most PHEV's only have 16 A on-board chargers and I don't forsee any that are likely to have more than 32 A.
Note that the circuit must be 125% of the draw since an EVSE is considered a continuous use device, so a 40 A circuit will support a 32 A EVSE, 30 a 24, etc
umass2ucr likes this.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umass2ucr View Post
I'm a few weeks away from buying a 2020 Clarity PHEV. I'm having some ceiling fans installed and I asked the electrician about EV charging. He pointed out (remarkably quickly) that I had an unused 240V outlet near my clothes dryer and suggested it would make a good L2 EV outlet. The outlet is probably the wrong type (house built in 1974) and it's behind the dryer which is too far from the driveway. I'm going to have him run some conduit inside the garage so that I can charge my car from outside the garage. What outlet type do I need...assuming the electrician doesn't already know?
Adding to what DucRider said, outlet type depends on the type of 240V circuit. With an older circuit from 1974 you may have some limitations unless you upgrade the circuit. But for Clarity those limitations will likely not be an issue.

But first things first - the best thing to do is to not rush into a decision, because you will really benefit from doing some research on what is available, and what are your options with your existing circuit. Trying to decide in a short period of time (i.e. days or even a few weeks) will likely be stressful and can also lead to less than ideal choices, or spending more money than you really need to. Much better to take your time, which is not hard to do because realistically the 120V EVSE that comes with the car will work fine for the Clarity. The battery holds approx 50 miles of charge (depending on the time of year) and with the level 1 charger that comes with the car you can fully charge in about twelve to thirteen hours. There might be times when you don't have enough time to fully charge, but when that happens that's the beauty of having a PHEV, you just wind up burning some gasoline at 40 mpg so it's really not a big deal.

This will also allow you to spend time shopping for an EVSE, because EVSE's have plugs for various outlets, you want to get an EVSE that has the right plug to match your outlet, you don't want to use adapters as that is not as safe. But as you will find out there are many brands of EVSE, some have features you may or may not want such as tracking how much charging you do (something the car does not do for you). You will also find that not every brand supports every type of outlet, so shopping for EVSE's also gives you an idea what type of outlet you may or may not want, which can affect your decision on whether to stick with the existing circuit or have it upgraded.

For 1974 it will possibly be an older three prong outlet like 10-30. If so you can find EVSE's that come with that type of outlet but they are harder to find. And anyway there is safety reason why four prong outlets have been required for almost thirty years, so since an electrician will be involved anyway, you will also want to discuss with them how hard it is (and expensive) to upgrade the circuit to four prong, to something like 14-30. You can then use a 16 amp EVSE and charge in about four hours. As DucRider mentioned maximum on that type of outlet is 24 amp and will probably bring charging time closer to three hours. You can also get estimates for upgrading to 14-50, which is way overkill for Clarity but maybe you will get a full EV one day and make use of it, and it will also allow you the option of buying a 32 amp EVSE and charge your Clarity in just over two hours.

We may have totally confused you, that wasn't the intention, instead it is to make it clear it's not a decision to rush into if you don't have to, shop around for EVSE's, get advice from the electrician on options for circuit upgrades, drive your new Clarity for a while to get a feel for your charging needs, then get something installed only when you are ready.
umass2ucr likes this.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:46 AM

I am happy with my MAX GREEN Outdoor-Use EV Charger purchased on Amazon. I generally use it indoors but I like the fact it is outdoors rated and came with adapters for just about every common 240v outlet. It is 16A which does a full charge in about 4 hours which seems super speedy to me since the first year of my Clarity I was charging with the stock cord at level 1 for 12 hours. Which surprisingly wasn’t an issue either.
umass2ucr likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page