Retrofit mirror with compass - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Retrofit mirror with compass

Many cars have a compass in their rear view mirrors. Has anyone tried to replace their rear view mirror with one with a compass, like an aftermarket part like the Gentex mirrors?
What about using one from another model: I think the Accord has one with a compass and the Civic too. Seems like that should be possible to do.

Two pet peeves with my new clarity are:
1) No clock on main display. I care about the time more than the outside temperature and it's such a simple software feature. Yes I know it's on the audio screen but it's tiny and I have to look away from the road to see it. Yes, it can be made large on the side screen at the expense of hiding the top status line with set temperature, audio, etc. Bad design decision.
2) No compass anywhere. I don't need an entire navigation system, just to know at night in which direction I'm driving. Another unnecessarily bad design decision.

Thanks!Yanko
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanko View Post
2) No compass anywhere.
I'm pretty sure there's a compass...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compass.png
Views:	10
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	353  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a compass...
That screen is only on touring, not base. It's part of the nav system. The same reason you don't get turn directions on the base model even when using Google Maps .
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
That screen is only on touring, not base. It's part of the nav system. The same reason you don't get turn directions on the base model even when using Google Maps .
Why do you say that? I get turn direction on my base model with using Google Maps via Android Auto - and there's a menu item, as well...

I've never paid attention to the compass in any of my cars that have had one so I really haven't checked to see if one is evident in the turn-by-turn window. Sorry for the misinformation, if not...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	551.0 KB
ID:	355   Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	357  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbe View Post
Why do you say that? I get turn direction on my base model with using Google Maps via Android Auto - and there's a menu item, as well...

I've never paid attention to the compass in any of my cars that have had one so I really haven't checked to see if one is evident in the turn-by-turn window. Sorry for the misinformation, if not...
That's good to know, I have touring and I thought I remembered someone with base model saying they don't have the Navigation/Compass screen.

The compass is only active on that screen when you are not running a route. Once you start a route the compass changes to turn by turn (with no compass).

The option screen that you showed is only relevant when the center display is on something other than compass/nav. If the option is set to yes then when a turn approaches the turn indication will pop up overriding whatever else is on the screen. I have that feature turned off because I normally have it set to either the EV miles indicator or the energy screen (showing where power is going). I generally run Google Maps on any drive more than a few miles in order to get traffic alerts and also ETA. But if that option is set to yes then the turn indicator is constantly popping up on the center screen blocking my view of what I want to look at.

I really wish EV miles was persistent somewhere on the screen because I use it all the time. There is room right next to the battery level. And they could put HV miles next to the gas gauge. Meanwhile total range already has a persistent spot in the lower right hand corner of the center display.

I almost always have the infotainment screen set to Google Maps satellite view. In my dream configuration I would be able to have Google Maps displayed on the infotainment screen, energy displayed on the center display, and EV and HV range appearing in the areas that I mentioned next to the gauges. For me that would be perfect. In fact in that configuration I would probably have turn indications set to yes as I would not mind as much having them override the energy screen, unlike the EV miles screen which I don't want blocked at any time. Or even better, heads up display turn indicators.

Sorry a bit of an OT rant.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page