2020 Clarity PHEV will continue sales in CA.... - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Question 2020 Clarity PHEV will continue sales in CA....

Here's a post from Green Car Reports about the current status of the Clarity PHEV:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...day-s-car-news

Good to hear Honda is still selling the Clarity PHEV 2020 model year in CA - however much to dismay those that are outside CA.

Your thoughts on this decision by Honda ???
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:44 PM

The Honda press release doesn't say anything about only being sold in California, in fact it makes this statement:

"Clarity PHEV qualifies for a federal tax rebate of up to $7,500 and various state rebates, including $1,000 in California where it's also eligible for single-occupant HOV access."

Presumably Green Car Reports is assuming (like I am) that Honda is continuing in 2020 with the policy stated by one of their spokespersons last August that Clarity inventory is currently being prioritized for California but that the car can still be ordered in all fifty states. The first part of that has proved to be true, the second part has proved to be false, or at least 99% false as we constantly hear from people around the country that dealers cannot or will not order a Clarity, with very rare exceptions like we recently heard from member N21HV in Washington who managed to find one dealer (after contacting many) who was willing to order a Clarity (at MSRP),although their delivery date is currently unknown.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:47 PM

It tells me Honda isn't that interested in selling EVs. The only reason they're selling them in California is CARB regulations.

Honda has a very poor track record when it comes to EVs, releasing limited production number short range EVs. I suspect the issue is Honda, as with Toyota, is in bed with Japan's MITI, which until recently has pushed Hydrogen fuel cells as the way forward and as a result completely missed the start of the BEV transition.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:59 PM

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Here's a post from Green Car Reports about the current status of the Clarity PHEV:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...day-s-car-news
They also have a more detailed story in this link:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...tates-by-order

However wow there is a lot of Clarity bashing going on in the comments over there. But just try and refute something and the editor removes your post. I got one reply in that they didn't cut, but then someone said they test drove a Clarity and one of their biggest turn offs was that with the battery not charged they said the engine noise was terrible, but then it "settled down" after a few miles. I wanted to let them know that this is a common occurrence on test drives when dealers leave the cars sitting on lots and the battery gets lower than it normally would, so I posted the following:

"In normal usage even with 0 EV range there is still enough battery reserve to avoid overly noisy engine operation. However when a Clarity has sat at a dealer for a long time the battery level can be quite a bit lower than it is in normal use, resulting in higher engine RPM as it tries to get the battery level back up to minimums. Doesn't make a great first impression of course on a test drive when that happens, but in normal use this situation would be more rare. I have heard that driving in mountains with a low battery the engine can be somewhat noisy, but in my experience in normal usage any higher revving is brief and fairly infrequent, and the Clarity has good sound proofing which muffles engine noise quite well although you can certainly hear the engine when it is revving higher. "

My reply went into moderation for about ten minutes then it got cut. Apparently it was more facts than they really wanted to hear.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:59 PM

I mentioned in another thread that I called a whole lot of dealers in state of Washington about getting a 2020. I actually test drove one in one of these places and was sold on the car. They weren't willing to make any promises about 2020 model and didn't seem all that interested in calling around or doing any work to find out so we went on our way. Well, guess what, they texted me today saying they can get one and wanted to know how we wanted to move forward. Interesting timing. I am suspecting that Honda lifted some kind of embargo on information about 2020 today. Honda's web site also got updated with 2020 notation.
Well, since we already put our money down elsewhere so these guys missed out on our business but clearly, they are willing to take order now.
I say start calling around if you are looking for one.
2002 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N21HV View Post
I mentioned in another thread that I called a whole lot of dealers in state of Washington about getting a 2020. I actually test drove one in one of these places and was sold on the car. They weren't willing to make any promises about 2020 model and didn't seem all that interested in calling around or doing any work to find out so we went on our way. Well, guess what, they texted me today saying they can get one and wanted to know how we wanted to move forward. Interesting timing. I am suspecting that Honda lifted some kind of embargo on information about 2020 today. Honda's web site also got updated with 2020 notation.
Well, since we already put our money down elsewhere so these guys missed out on our business but clearly, they are willing to take order now.
I say start calling around if you are looking for one.
And hopefully that means you won't have to wait a long time for yours to come in.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Maybe it has something to do with the EV infrastructure additions the dealers have to fork out ?

If you think about it, why would a Honda dealer want to pay lots of money to install EV charge facilities, pay to train their service staff and sales staff ??

Answer: states like CA where it's wildly popular.

I can see why the other 49 states have pushed back by the dealers who said, why be forced to endure a huge capital outlay for EV when they think sales will be dismal ???
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the EV infrastructure additions the dealers have to fork out ?

If you think about it, why would a Honda dealer want to pay lots of money to install EV charge facilities, pay to train their service staff and sales staff ??

Answer: states like CA where it's wildly popular.

I can see why the other 49 states have pushed back by the dealers who said, why be forced to endure a huge capital outlay for EV when they think sales will be dismal ???
That could be part of it, although a lot of dealers around the country had Clarity on their lots in 2018 so presumably they already have what is needed. One we know about is Germain Honda in Michigan who has it all but claims they were told by Honda that they could no longer order Clarity. But that was a couple of months ago, since then a few 2019's were shipped to a handful of dealers in several states at the end of the model year, and member N21HV not only was able to find a dealer in Washington who was (barely) willing to order one, they recently were contacted by a dealer that they previously talked to who said they can now order one. So hopefully the straps are being loosened a little bit with the rollout of the 2020 model. Will be interesting to see what happens.
4sallypat likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:42 PM

I think that dealers were always able to order the Clarity PHEV. Willing to is another story.

Dealers are highly motivated to move the inventory on their lots, and they will do their best to move it. They don't actually pay for their vehicles up front, but use "flooring" that results in a monthly charge per vehicle. The longer a vehicle sits, the more it costs them (and usually the more they have to discount it). Plus, very little dealer profit is from new car sales. I can understand why dealers are reluctant to go thru the process of a special order.
Kerbe likes this.

Gary

2018 Clarity Electric (Vortex Blue)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page