Remember that your Clarity comes with 5 years of GPS updates, here is how to update! - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Cool Remember that your Clarity comes with 5 years of GPS updates, here is how to update!

Hi all, just a friendly reminder that Garmin will support GPS updates for 5 years on your Clarity. They typically release 4 updates per year (once a quarter). Here is how to update.

1) Grab yourself a USB stick that is at least 16GB in size.
2) Format it as FAT32. Windows 10 will not let you do this, so use one of many apps out there. I used FAT32 Format. Downloadable from here by clicking the big screenshot of on the page - Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

During the format leave all settings on default, and make sure that the drive letter corresponds to your USB stick, you dont want to be formatting some other drive.

3) Once formatted plug in the USB stick into your clarity, driver side USB port (same one as CarPlay).
4) Go to Navigation -> Settings -> Device -> Update Map
5) This process will take a few seconds, it is basically putting information about your car on the stick, including the serial number of you GPS, so do not share this info with anyone.
6) Bring the USB stick back to the computer and download Garmin Express from the link here - https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site/generalInstructions
7) Install and run Garmin Express, it will detect your Clarity and let you add it as a system. It will then tell you what version maps you have and when your updates expire. Proceed through the menus and start update download.

This process will start out saying it will take 4 hours, but it took about 10 minutes for me (highly dependent on your internet connection).

8) Once it finishes it will look like this - https://imgur.com/a/WkwgRSI
Take the USB stick back to your car, once there run through the same steps you did in step 4. It will start pulling the maps from the USB stick to your car. This process will definitely take a while, so bring a book, or a gaming console or a podcast to listen to. (Took me about 30 min)

When progress bar is on the screen, do not back out, as it will cancel the process and you will have to restart from step 8. So pick the audio channel etc before you start the update.

Thats it.

Hope this helped you guys!
4sallypat and JimWoo like this.

Last edited by Duxa; 01-12-2020 at 06:54 PM.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 11:25 PM

Duxa

Good reminder...thanks for the post.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:00 PM

Where did you find the info that the Clarity comes with 5 years of updates. And, after that,
then what?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemell View Post
Where did you find the info that the Clarity comes with 5 years of updates. And, after that,
then what?
It was on one of the sales pamphlets. After that you can pay to update (should be around $100). Realistically you are probably fine with updating once every 5 years or so, unless there is major construction in areas you drive/plan to drive. Where I live about 20% of the city is not on the 2018 maps that came with my 2019 Clarity because they have been actively building/adding streets. So when I drove it looked like on GPS I was in the middle of a field.

But Ive been using a handheld Garmin for about 12 years now, and those maps never needed any updates until all this construction started a few years back.

I am glad Clarity maps are user updatable, on the Lexus/Mercedes you gotta take it to the dealer to update.

Of course there is Car Play, so you can just use always up to date Google/Apple or whathave you maps through there. The build into the car ones are great for areas with no cell reception because those will work anywhere as long as the sky is not obstructed. But then again, you can pre-download maps from google to your phone to use them without cell reception, not sure how carplay will like that tho. Havent tried.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:55 PM

Thanks.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:55 AM

Thanks

Thank you for the detailed post.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemell View Post
then what?
My five years apparently started when I did the first update a couple of months after getting the car. Garmin doesn't know when you bought the car, just when the first update is performed.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxa View Post
But then again, you can pre-download maps from google to your phone to use them without cell reception, not sure how carplay will like that tho. Havent tried.
Google maps offline feature is outstanding. It can even set up routing to where you're trying to go as long as you have the maps downloaded from your starting point to your ending point.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obermd View Post
Google maps offline feature is outstanding. It can even set up routing to where you're trying to go as long as you have the maps downloaded from your starting point to your ending point.
Yes, but does CarPlay play nicely with that? Or does it complain if there is no cell reception?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxa View Post
Yes, but does CarPlay play nicely with that? Or does it complain if there is no cell reception?
Unknown since I don't have an iPhone. Google maps throws up an icon showing it's working offline.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page