Honda Clarity PHEV electric range - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Honda Clarity PHEV electric range

Hello All,

New to forum here. I've had my Clarity PHEV for about 15 months now. While I love almost everything about the car, the electric range depreciation is scaring me a bit. When I first got the car, I was able to travel (meter calculated) ~45-50 miles on EV drive alone most of the time. Perfect. Winter came, range dropped to around 33 which was expected. However, the summer came again and I started noticing the actual traveled distance would top out around 40 then switch to gas mode. That is around 10-15% range loss within a bit more than a year. Has anyone experienced this? At this rate, I am not sure the car's EV mode will be much use after 3-4 years.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:54 PM

Mine seems to be holding steady in SoCal. I have only had it since late Nov. 2018, but it has 17k miles on it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello All,

New to forum here. I've had my Clarity PHEV for about 15 months now. While I love almost everything about the car, the electric range depreciation is scaring me a bit. When I first got the car, I was able to travel (meter calculated) ~45-50 miles on EV drive alone most of the time. Perfect. Winter came, range dropped to around 33 which was expected. However, the summer came again and I started noticing the actual traveled distance would top out around 40 then switch to gas mode. That is around 10-15% range loss within a bit more than a year. Has anyone experienced this? At this rate, I am not sure the car's EV mode will be much use after 3-4 years.
You can have a dealer do a capacity test on the battery. It's not really a test as the system stores the current capacity, but the number is only available using dealer equipment when they hook up their test equipment and it gives them a report on several things including battery capacity. New Clarity battery capacity is usually around 55 Ah (amp hour). A battery is eligible for warranty replacement only when it drops below 36.6 Ah. Most likely your battery is not that low but getting it tested will at least tell you how your battery is doing compared to new. If in a couple of years it seems to have gotten worse you can have the test done again to see if it is now below the warranty level.

The dealer will probably charge something for doing the test, although if you are in for something else like oil change they might do it for free. Also if it is the dealer that you purchased from you can tell them that a battery test was supposed to have been done during the PDI prior to sale. It's not on the main PDI checklist so most dealers don't do it during PDI.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page