Recharging with original cord that came with the Clarity - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Recharging with original cord that came with the Clarity

I have called Honda and talked with a couple of CS agents there and they only find/surmise that the original recharge cord is just for 120 volt (level 1) charging. Even though mention is made about the same cars sold in Europe where they only have 240 volt systems and also the heavy cord seems to be just as heavy or more so than the ones that are for sale to handle the 240 volts. I have also sent an e-mail to Honda to see if an engineer will post a response to this on line somewhere to answer officially along with the specifics as to WHY NOT use this original recharge cord for 240 volts. Is this a legal "scared-de-cat" reaction on Honda's part here to answer this simple question to eliminate the confusion among Clarity owners that would like to start using 240 volt and 2 1/2 hour recharge time without paying $400 or more for a "quote" 240 volt recharge cord that is no heavier than the original one? Somebody here have a conclusive answer to this?
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have called Honda and talked with a couple of CS agents there and they only find/surmise that the original recharge cord is just for 120 volt (level 1) charging. Even though mention is made about the same cars sold in Europe where they only have 240 volt systems and also the heavy cord seems to be just as heavy or more so than the ones that are for sale to handle the 240 volts. I have also sent an e-mail to Honda to see if an engineer will post a response to this on line somewhere to answer officially along with the specifics as to WHY NOT use this original recharge cord for 240 volts. Is this a legal "scared-de-cat" reaction on Honda's part here to answer this simple question to eliminate the confusion among Clarity owners that would like to start using 240 volt and 2 1/2 hour recharge time without paying $400 or more for a "quote" 240 volt recharge cord that is no heavier than the original one? Somebody here have a conclusive answer to this?
The only answer that you are going to get from anyone at Honda is what is stated on the EVSE itself, 110V to 120V. If in fact the EVSE is identical, Honda could have done like some other EVSE manufacturers have done and provided a EVSE with a 240V connector, along with an adapter from the 240V plug to 120V plug. As far as I know that is the only legal way they could have provided an EVSE rated to work with both 120V and 240V. They chose not to do so either because they are not identical, or because they wanted to save a few bucks in the cost of the adapter and also testing and certification for using it for both voltages. Only Honda can conclusively answer the question which of those two it is, but I highly doubt if you will get an answer from them about it other than the standard canned answer that the EVSE is only rated for 110-120V.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 04:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yep, I agree with what 2002 told you.

Honda, BMW, Chevy, Nissan & so on..... Will only tell you what they originally designed the car (and the EVSE) for. Any deviation from anything in the user manual will be met with the answer "NO".

At this point you are on your own, you have two simple ways that you can proceed:

1) Believe what I have mapped out for you including ALL of the different success stories with their pictures & testimonials.

2) Don't believe any of this and just buy a $200 to $500 dollar EVSE unit.

Good luck,
Rob43

Charge Up In About 5 1/2 Hours Using Your 120v Honda OE EVSE At 240 Volts.
Level 2 Charging Adapters: 10 Gauge / 100% Copper Cord, Most are $49 Shipped.
I Build 240v Conversion Pigtails With Almost Any Plug Needed, PM Me If You Need One.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
There is a thread showing you how to modify the OEM L1 into a L2 for $20 but I am afraid of violating warranties, causing a fire and having the insurance company deny coverage due to my "cheapness".

I bought a used L2 charger on Craigslist for $100 and happy with that !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Been using my OEM EVSE at 240 volts without any issues... but you won't get 2.5 hours recharge time... it's more like 5.5 hours since the amps is still ~11 amps, just the voltage doubled.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
There is a thread showing you how to modify the OEM L1 into a L2 for $20 but I am afraid of violating warranties, causing a fire and having the insurance company deny coverage due to my "cheapness".

I bought a used L2 charger on Craigslist for $100 and happy with that !

Fear is the mind killer...

Rob43

I Build 240v Conversion Pigtails With Almost Any Plug Needed, PM Me If You Need One.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:12 PM

The biggest wear item on the OEM EVSE is the plug. Repeated insertions and removals of the plug (wall end) is a known issue with all EVSEs. For this reason I actually purchased an additional L1/L2 EVSE. I leave my EVSE plugged in all the time and carry one in the car.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:50 AM

Garage
^ Yep, they're a bigger wear problem than most people realize.

I occasionally inspect any plug that gets more usage or is seeing amperage that's closer to the 80% rule. Plugs with copper/brass that look dull or dirty get a little sandpaper until they look clean for their best connection.

Rob43

Last edited by Rob43; 08-28-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page