Just bought one - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ukemike
  • 1 Post By ukemike

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Just bought one

Just bought a Crimson Touring today from the Vallejo dealership. I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Looking forward to the fed tax credit and the HOV sticker. We're working on our landlord to install a charger. My wife and I are going to share it. She gets it in the summer half of the year and I get the Fit, in the winter, visa-versa.
Kerbe likes this.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukemike View Post
Just bought a Crimson Touring today from the Vallejo dealership. I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Looking forward to the fed tax credit and the HOV sticker. We're working on our landlord to install a charger. My wife and I are going to share it. She gets it in the summer half of the year and I get the Fit, in the winter, visa-versa.
Congrats on your new Clarity !

How close in feet is the closest 240 volt receptacle of any kind in relation to where you park your Clarity ?

Rob43

Charge Up In About 5 1/2 Hours Using Your 120v Honda OE EVSE At 240 Volts.
I build 240v conversion cable Pigtails With 8, 10, or 12 Gauge Wire, send me a PM if you need one.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

My parking space is next to the laundry room which probably has 240v.

-Mike

2019 Clarity PHEV Touring
2013 Fit MT
1993 Accord endurance racing car
SF Bat Area
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
HOT TIP:
Don't forget to apply for the State CVRP $1500 rebate.
There are no funds currently but they are taking a waitlist.
Once the funds are replenished, you can get the $1500 from the state.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
My parking space is next to the laundry room which probably has 240v.

Is this laundry room communal, or is it just yours ?

If it's just yours, you won't need your landlord to build or alter anything for you to charge at 240 volts.

Rob43

Charge Up In About 5 1/2 Hours Using Your 120v Honda OE EVSE At 240 Volts.
I build 240v conversion cable Pigtails With 8, 10, or 12 Gauge Wire, send me a PM if you need one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

It is a communal laundry. I have asked the landlord about installing a circuit on its own meter. Then after I move out someday she can assign it to another tenant with an EV. Here in Marin, EVs are becoming very common.

I turned in my application for an HOV sticker today, and we are under the income caps, so I will be looking up and filling out the forms for the CA rebate as well. I'm also going after the PG&E rebate for the charging station, and the $7500 from the feds.

Basically I believe that this car is too expensive to justify without all of those incentives, credits, and rebates. I got it for $31k and change plus sales tax and registration because I knew about the unadvertsied honda dealer rebate of $5000. Even with that it is the most expensive car I've ever bought by about $10k. But after the Fed tax credit it'll be only $2500 more than my 2004 GTI was. My last car was getting 22mpg and I drive about 16k per year, so I expect to save at least $1800 a year on fuel (assuming I spend about $.16/kwh charging [the night rate for pg&e]). Of course all of those savings are going to be completely buried by the fact that my son is turning 16 in 2 months. Woe is me! I've called a few insurance companies and it looks like we are adding over $3000 a year in insurance once he is licensed .

I've only driven it for 3-4 days now. I've typically liked fast, small, sporty cars, but while a high strung car can be glorious on an empty twisty road, there aren't any of those in my daily commute. I love how quiet and cushy the Clarity is. I am also digging the instant torque, so cool. The reported EV range is tailor made for my 42 mile round trip commute. I haven't yet had a commute-only day, so I have been burning gas, and I haven't found out if I can make it without gas. Still 1/4 tank in about 236 miles ain't bad. I discovered that there is a 4 plug free (for 3 hours) solar powered L2 charger at a grocery parking about 10 minutes walk from home, so I've been charging there. Since the charging so far has been free, I'm getting about 134mpg!!!!! WOW!

Every other public charger I have seen so far has been a chargepoint, so signing up with them is also on my to do list. I'm also going to get the 3d MAXpider floor mats. I've had those in two other cars and I like them lots.

I noticed that there are two blank spots in the low cubby right above the USB plugs. Has anyone installed more usb in those?

I've never had Android Auto, but I wanna have it, so I've been trying to get that going, but my phone seems to disconnect from it the first time you try to use any function. I believe it is my phone. I had a similar problem with another device I tried to connect to my phone.

Y'all will think I'm a traitor, but this has convinced my that my next car has to be a Tesla. I am an EV convert. We considered a Model 3 this time, but the with all the incentives the Clarity was practically the same total cost as a new Insight, or a Civic Sport, and the Tesla is a $35k car after incentives.

Thanks for the welcome.

-Mike

2013 Fit MT
SF Bat Area

Last edited by ukemike; 07-30-2019 at 07:22 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I've never had Android Auto, but I wanna have it, so I've been trying to get that going, but my phone seems to disconnect from it the first time you try to use any function. I believe it is my phone. I had a similar problem with another device I tried to connect to my phone.
What phone are you using? It could be the phone OR the cable - I've had cables go bad on several occasions, especially with USB-C. The shorter the cable - and the less stressed (twisted) - the better...

I love AA and have been using it in my car for the past three years - when in rentals I use the AA app (not as good, but still functional). They're currently rolling-out the first major revamp of it - I'm looking forward to its arrival!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's the phone. I had similar trouble trying to get a Wallabot working, and a search turns up others who cannot use AA with the same phone for similar sounding reasons.
Kerbe likes this.

-Mike

2013 Fit MT
SF Bat Area