Ladybug46 from WA signing in - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Ladybug46 from WA signing in

Greetings all. Purchased my Silver Touring Clarity March 2018. The car now has 11,679 miles.

Have been following the Clarity Boards with great interest and am grateful for your collective questions and advice. Just returned from a road trip to Glacier National Park. The Clarity performed magnificently, especially going over mountains! On the advice here, I carried a spare tire, just in case; fortunately, did not need it there, but did a week later returning from an appointment in Seattle.

Low Tire Pressure and Blow Out
The left rear tire was the one affected. I pulled over on the 520 bridge, called AAA and was towed to Discount Tires. Debated overnight whether to buy four (4) new tires, the bottom line cost of $800 deterred me. I talked to my sales person and asked if I bought a new Michelin tire (that was what was on the Clarity), would he honor the warranty against defects and road hazards for all the tires. He did one better. For $103, I purchased the warranty for all 4 tires and he threw in the Michelin tire for free. Hats off to Discount Tires. New tire is now on; all tires are now covered by Discount Tire.

If you are the least bit concerned about your tires go to a place like Discount Tires: (1) purchase the warranty and (2) buy a spare — I had mine put on a rim because it was better for me.

Again, thanks to all for your wisdom and advice!

Kelvie
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
Congrats & welcome !

Rob43

Charge Up In About 5 1/2 Hours Using Your 120v Honda OE EVSE At 240 Volts.
Level 2 Charging Adapters: 10 Gauge / 100% Copper Cord, Most are $49 Shipped.
I Build 240v Conversion Pigtails With Almost Any Plug Needed, PM Me If You Need One.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wow, what wonderful service by Discount Tires!

Have you checked if the Honda dealer would have given you a pro-rated warranty claim against your tire ?
Just wondering if they would have helped you out....
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

The dealer . . . interesting question . . . I called the dealer because I do not even have a brochure for the tires; but neither did they. Neither my sales person nor the finance person are at the dealership any longer. Both are top notch and moved to better positions. But, as many have discovered, you get referred to the tire company.

When I purchased the tire warranty, Discount Tire became the owner of the damaged tire and can go after Michelin . . . in fact, I liked that. Plus, if you read your car warranty carefully, tires are excluded. To be honest, I did not ask the dealer.

Thanks for asking.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think your tire blow out is part of a larger problem with the factory OEM tires that are on our Clarity...
Knowing that the factory tires are protected under a pro rated warranty, I am sure Discount will get some money back from Michelin.

BTW: Because of these forums, I bought a 36K tire warranty from Honda Care so I can be at peace.

After the factory tires wear out, I will be getting a set of run flat (RFT) to replace them.
The latest RFT technology has tires made much better and rides super comfy - I currently have Drive Guard RFTs on my BMW.

Tags
blowouts , tire warranty , tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page