Better Than the Owner's Manual - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Better Than the Owner's Manual

Hi, Fellow Clarity Owners. I found this forum because the Honda website, the owner's manual, and my dealership seem remarkably unhelpful in answering questions about how this complex vehicle is supposed to behave. Maybe the things I am experiencing are software glitches that need to be fixed. But do I really need to pay my Honda dealer $35 for a diagnostic test to tell them they need to fix the software? Or maybe the software is doing what it's supposed to do. The dealer can't tell me, or won't. $35, please.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Here's my problem 1:

This morning, with a full electric charge, the engine kicked in a couple of blocks down the street from my driveway. Temperature was not cold. Climate control wasn't on. I didn't punch the accelerator to the click or hit any of the mode buttons. What gives?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellhanson View Post
Here's my problem 1:

This morning, with a full electric charge, the engine kicked in a couple of blocks down the street from my driveway. Temperature was not cold. Climate control wasn't on. I didn't punch the accelerator to the click or hit any of the mode buttons. What gives?
I had this same issue. For me, my commute from my home the first 3 are downhill. After about a 1/2 mile the ICE kicks in for about 4 miles. There was an earlier post addresses it and it was determined this is expected behavior.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:52 PM

From the owners manual:

"The car will select the appropriate source of power depending on the drive mode you select.
As a result, the engine will automatically start or stop as needed to either charge the battery or provide supplemental power.
Under certain circumstances, the engine may turn on or, if it is already on, it may not turn off.
● You are going uphill or accelerating aggressively.
● The climate control system is in heavy use.
● The Ambient temperature is too hot or too cold.
● The High Voltage Battery state of charge is very low.
● The vehicle is running a system check.
System Check
When the engine initially starts (between the time the POWER button is turned on and turned off), the vehicle conducts a system check.
● While the check is being conducted, the engine may periodically turn on and off. This, however, is normal.
● The curved blue line in the POWER/CHARGE Gauge will not appear during the system check (EV indicator may still turn on).
● Once the engine starts, it will continue to run until the system reaches operating temperature.
The curved blue line in the POWER/CHARGE Gauge will reappear once the system check is completed."

Point is the engine may turn on at unpredictable times. This is a plug in hybrid, not an EV.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Also if the battery is fully charged and you use heavy regeneration braking like going down hill the engine may start. The engine is being spun by the motor to bleed off extra speed, think of it like downshifting to slow down

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page