No Spare/No Replacement/No Trip - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Angry No Spare/No Replacement/No Trip

We had a flat on I-5 today and had to be towed another 60 miles to a Honda Dealer because the tire repair pump couldn't repair the tire or fill it with air. The Honda dealer determined that the tire was not repairable, and since they don't keep replacements in stock (!) and since we are 100 miles from home, we have to wait for them to order a replacement tire, get a hotel room, cancel our trip, etc. This is the perfect storm for having a car with no spare.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We had a flat on I-5 today and had to be towed another 60 miles to a Honda Dealer because the tire repair pump couldn't repair the tire or fill it with air. The Honda dealer determined that the tire was not repairable, and since they don't keep replacements in stock (!) and since we are 100 miles from home, we have to wait for them to order a replacement tire, get a hotel room, cancel our trip, etc. This is the perfect storm for having a car with no spare.
Was your tire failure on the inside sidewall? There have been a few of us Clarity owners with tire failures at the inside side wall along the seam. Being the car has only been out a year and is a very limited production of 20,000 cars this is starting to seem like a pattern. My flat happened with less than 150 miles after purchase on my first highway trip. I didnt run over anything or hit anything and the highway was smooth.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have been hearing more and more of this - wonder if the tire has a manufacturer defect ?

Anyone want to volunteer keeping a serial number log of the tires that are failing on this forum ???

OP: there is an optional spare tire that you can get - Honda and Infiniti have compatible fitting ones:
https://www.insideevsforum.com/commu...e-4#post-48502
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the tire. I was told it was a large "hole". The only thing I can think of was that something might have been lodged in the tire and just happened to come out while we were on the road. I did not see anything on I-5 that I would have wanted to avoid. I will see if the dealer can give me any more information. I'm not happy that this large Honda dealer didn't even keep a replacement tire in inventory. We were told that the replacement wouldn't be available until the next day. We had to get a hotel room and because it was in Chico, all the rooms were booked with people from the Butte fire so we had to get the only room available, and it was pricey. Total incident cost: $500. I'm thinking of a spare tire kit to take on trips, even if it reduces the trunk space.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:57 AM

I dropped off my car at night and my little dealership replaced the tire the next day.

I am considering getting a donut spare for this car. There are some on eBay.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page