2 weeks in and my first road trip - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

2 weeks in and my first road trip

I took delivery of my base 2018 on January 8; for the first week was all EV in town. I am waiting for my Juice Box to arrive. in the meantime using a 110 line for 12 hours.

It has been winter here, full charge range is 30 miles and I doubt I get 22, but day in day out that does the trick. Then last week I took a 650-mile road trip to Northern Vermont, just in time for a 24" dump of snow and morning temps of -11F. Some impressions:

The over the road Clarity is a way different animal than the in-town EV. After my first scoot onto an interstate ramp, and I hear the wild thrashing under the hood, I am thinking "how do I get out of this lease?" It finally settled down a bit, or perhaps I turned the 3 months free satellite radio up and didn't notice it so much.

The range meter seems spot on; if electric is fully charged it shows 30 miles, the gas tank filled shows 300.

Fuel mileage was OK, right around 41 mpg at 68 MPH.

Returning on Monday I was forced to tread carefully at first, no one in the area had snow tires that would fit; I was also interested in doing a -1 sizing but no one at the Honda store would confirm what I read on the internet about using an ACcord wheel. So I was on no-seasons, took it carefully, and was surprised at the decent handling.

Along the way, I had two issues, a low tire warning (and I didn't know that after filling the tire I needed to go to the information center and re-set the control) and running out of washer fluid. It turns out that there is some leak somewhere in the system, I filled it prior to leaving on the trip and it expired way too early. Set to bring it in on Friday for an evaluation.

Overall, a decent car despite its dual personality, but not sure it goes on my recommended list.
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Very brave you are !
But glad you made it safely....

I am deathly afraid of taking stock factory all season tires on snow or ice.
Bad experiences in the past is my reason for never taking A/S tires thru snow - they harden up and don't have any traction.

Definitely would get a set of winter tires if I were in your area.
I would look for +1 winter tire size to give the sidewall more give so that the grip is enhanced.

Did you need chains at all to traverse any restricted highways ??

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page