Honda Clarity PHEV touring - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Miles777

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Honda Clarity PHEV touring

Hi All!
I purchased my clarity PHEV touring July 2018. I have 4000 miles of trouble free ownership to date. Looking forward to learning more about the car as a result of this forum.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Congrats on getting your Clarity.

Have you started looking into first modifications/accessories as yet?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Welcome to the forum. Is this your first PHEV or have you upgraded from an older hybrid? Congratulations.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:16 PM

New Clarity Plug-in Touring Owner in Tucson

I just bought my Clarity at end of December, 2018. I have put on 850 miles so far. All of it using EV mode. Haven't used any gasreally. It did go into Hrbtid mode once when I ran out of Battery on about a 50 mile round trip. Maybe I used 1/4 gallon. No sure.

I am retired and expect to do mostly local in town quick trips.

Questions:

1) How often should I use gas in Hybrid mode to just exercise engine and use some gas? Should I put some gas additive in to preserve the gas from getting stale?

2) How can I tell how much electricity I use to charge the car each day? Someone mentioned some app can do it.

3) I do have extra solar power but in first month, we had cold, rainy weather and my solar output for real low.
Any one else using solar to power plugin? I noticed that 4 of my solar panels are consistently giving me hald the KWH output of the oother 12 panels. I suspect that there is soem shading impacting the solar panel electric genertion. I may try to have them moved.

Fred Dunfey
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:09 PM

1) How often should I use gas in Hybrid mode to just exercise engine and use some gas?
*** I believe the on board computer will run the engine when it needs to. No need for you to do anything.

2) How can I tell how much electricity I use to charge the car each day?
*** My Level 2 charger does that. JuiceBox for me, a full charge is roughly 14.6 KWh

3) I do have extra solar power but in first month, we had cold, rainy weather and my solar output for real low.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdunfey View Post
I just bought my Clarity at end of December, 2018. I have put on 850 miles so far. All of it using EV mode. Haven't used any gasreally. It did go into Hrbtid mode once when I ran out of Battery on about a 50 mile round trip. Maybe I used 1/4 gallon. No sure.

I am retired and expect to do mostly local in town quick trips.

Questions:

1) How often should I use gas in Hybrid mode to just exercise engine and use some gas? Should I put some gas additive in to preserve the gas from getting stale?

2) How can I tell how much electricity I use to charge the car each day? Someone mentioned some app can do it.

Any one else using solar to power plugin? I noticed that 4 of my solar panels are consistently giving me hald the KWH output of the oother 12 panels. I suspect that there is soem shading impacting the solar panel electric genertion. I may try to have them moved.

Fred Dunfey
I think a wise thing to do would be to put only 100% gasoline in your tank. It's about .30 to .40 cents per gallon more than e10 in my area. You won't have any of the issues with ethanol sitting long-term.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 AM

>>How can I tell how much electricity I use to charge the car each day? Someone mentioned some app can do it.

Since I only use the 110V charger, I bought one of these from Amazon and use the app to monitor electricity use, as well as to shut down the charging during peak pricing periods (3 PM - 8 PM weekdays).

Smart Plug Wifi Outlet Compatible With Alexa, Echo, Google Home and IFTTT, Teckin Mini Smart Socket with Energy Monitoring and Timer Function, No Hub Required, 16A (2 pack)
mowcowbell likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page