Charging doesn't start if plugged in after timer charging start time - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cruiter

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Charging doesn't start if plugged in after timer charging start time

How to reproduce:
1. Using the "i" button on the steering wheel, select the "gear" icon, and then "Vehicle Settings"
2. Select Charging Timer, and turn it "ON"
3. Set the start time and end time to be what's appropriate for non-peak electrical pricing. In my area in the San Francisco Bay Area, that non-peak window is from 9 pm - 4 pm (21:00 to 16:00) daily
4. Plug in the Clarity at 8 pm, the charging starts properly at 9 pm
5. Plug in the Clarity after 9 pm, let's say at 9:30 pm, the green LED next to the plug flashes about 6 times, and goes out. Expected charging does NOT happen.

6. An annoying but successful workaround:
A. Using the "i" button on the steering wheel, select the "gear" icon, and then "Vehicle Settings"
B. Select Charging Timer, and turn it "OFF"
C. Plug in the charger
D. Charging begins

In my opinion, if you plug it in at any time during the configured charging window, charging should begin. I called the HondaLink hotline, and reported the issue to Honda. They said my description of the issue was "how it was designed to work". Seems like a poor design, as in my opinion, charging should start at anytime the vehicle is plugged in, during the approved timer window - right?
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 PM

I do not have my programmed for scheduling yet as my electric plan has not been changed. However, my understanding is that if you were to push the charge button on your key fob that should override your schedule start charging right away.

Is that not the case?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Hmm... thanks! But where did you see that info? I didn't see it in my manual (nor actually anything about setting up the timer!), and here is a softcopy of it: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...ATRW1818OG.PDF. In any event, I will try that tonight, and see what happens.

If indeed that works, that is definitely less of a hassle than turning off the timer. However, it would seem reasonable if you plug in at any time during the desired charging time window, it would automatically begin charging immediately, without having to remember to do the override.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

After a bit more searching, at the very end of this Honda charge timer video tutorial, they did mention use of the fob button to override the scheduled time window, and begin charging, see

Thanks again, dwheat17!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 PM

Garage
I've done that several times. Often I shop and go to lunch at Whole Foods where there are several free Level II's for their customers. I never miss an opportunity to top off the left gauge, just a couple of clicks on the key :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbaker View Post
After a bit more searching, at the very end of this Honda charge timer video tutorial, they did mention use of the fob button to override the scheduled time window, and begin charging, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StfxJ9u5hk8.

Thanks again, dwheat17!
obermd likes this.

Jim Myers
2018 Clarity
White Touring
Windows tinted rear doors, rear quarter glass, & back window
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:55 PM

I am in southern CA. Just bought my Honda Clarity Touring 2019 couple weeks ago and experience same issue.
I am totally agreed with mfbaker, unless Honda manufacturer to stupid to understand that.

Nothing been done to fix this issue and I wonder they would fix it or just say "by designed".
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarity4Man View Post
I am in southern CA. Just bought my Honda Clarity Touring 2019 couple weeks ago and experience same issue.
I am totally agreed with mfbaker, unless Honda manufacturer to stupid to understand that.

Nothing been done to fix this issue and I wonder they would fix it or just say "by designed".
Given Honda's apparent paternalistic attitude towards their vehicle buyers, I'd guess the answer would be "working as designed."

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:36 PM

FYI using the key fob to start charging is always charge to full, it does not stop at the scheduled end time. For that reason I don't use the key fob when charging at home if I plug in after the scheduled start time. I have super low rates from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am, basically half price off of regular rate, so I do all of my charging only during those hours and I want it to stop charging at 7:00 am. Even with level one charging eight hours a night is plenty for most of my driving. If I arrive home after 11:00 pm with an empty battery and I used the key fob it would go about five hours past 7:00 am at higher rates for those last five hours. So what I do instead is use the app to change the scheduled start time to five minutes from now. Let's say I arrive home at 11:10 pm, I would set the start time as 11:15 pm but keep the same ending time of 7:00 am. Once charging starts at 11:15 pm, I go into the app and change the scheduled start time back to 11:00 pm so that I don't have to remember to change it the next day. Modifying the schedule doesn't affect any current charge session in progress.

Tags
charging timer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page