Crimson Cruiser - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Crimson Cruiser

I finally pulled the trigger and traded in my 2012 Pilot for a 2020 Clarity Base Crimson. Honda of Thousand Oaks was great. So far this thing is awesome. L1 charging for now, mapped my house circuits and the only other items on this circuit is a bunch of LED lights in my kitchen, bathrooms, hallway (and the garage door opener). I'm going to print myself an insert for the tray under the bridge to keep my wallet, phone and keys partitioned.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umass2ucr View Post
I finally pulled the trigger and traded in my 2012 Pilot for a 2020 Clarity Base Crimson. Honda of Thousand Oaks was great. So far this thing is awesome. L1 charging for now, mapped my house circuits and the only other items on this circuit is a bunch of LED lights in my kitchen, bathrooms, hallway (and the garage door opener). I'm going to print myself an insert for the tray under the bridge to keep my wallet, phone and keys partitioned.
Congratulations! You might also think about printing a tray for the center console storage, it's five inches deep and holds a lot, but I am always having to dig to get to things on the bottom. I don't have a 3D printer but I was thinking about making a tray with four legs in the corners so that the tray will sit in the storage bin about 3 inches high, creating a 3 inch lower section and a 2 inch upper section, with a small handle in the middle of the tray for lifting it out. Actually maybe instead of legs, maybe I will install some type of little shelf holders on the sides of the storage bin at the 3 inch level, then the tray can just sit on them. It's really how it should have been designed in the first place. Not sure how I will do the shelf holders, maybe find some T shaped strips of plastic and glue them to the sides.

Do you mind checking something for me? On my 2018 Clarity when I push any of the buttons on the steering wheel they make a slight clicking sound. The clicking is not really loud but the car is so quiet that not only can I hear the clicks but even passengers in the car can hear it, I had one passenger in the back seat hear the clicks when I was adjusting the cruise control speed and asking what I was pressing. It's only the steering wheel buttons, the climate and infotainment buttons in the center console are silent. I heard one person say that the 2020 Clarity the steering wheel buttons are "softer" than previous year models, but I'm not sure what they meant by that. I am hoping that the steering wheel buttons are now silent just like the center console buttons.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

That center console accessory box is a good 3D print idea as well. I like to keep a pepper spray, reading glasses, a tissue box and some other items in there and having partitions would be slick. I'll publish any .stl files that I make once I am happy with the print.
I have my climate control set to turn on at 5pm today. I look forward to getting into my car at a normal temperature when I leave for the day. It's not that hot today in Calabasas, it should max out around 88F.
I'm still learning what all the controls do but I will report back once I know what to listen and look for.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I'm still learning what all the controls do but I will report back once I know what to listen and look for.
You don't even need to have the car on to hear the clicking sounds that I am talking about when you press the buttons. Next time you go out to your car, without turning on the car just randomly press buttons on the steering wheel and see if they make a clicking sound when you press them. Then randomly press climate control buttons on the center console as a comparison, those are the buttons just below the infotainment screen. My car all of the steering wheel buttons make a noticeable click sound when you press them, the climate control buttons do not. Someone said there was a change to the steering wheel buttons in 2020 and I am wondering if they make the steering wheel buttons quiet like the climate control buttons.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:56 PM

Better yet, can the stieering wheel buttons clicking be muted somehow, without changing the wheel.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Steering wheel is clicky (mechanical clicks not speaker clicks).
I checked out Sport mode this morning. It looks like they did indeed remember to put the ICE in this car.
I'm having a hitch installed Tuesday locally at a place called Eckhart that my mechanic recommended. They custom build and weld on hitches. $450 total compared to $300 for the torklift and then having to install myself.
Remote climate control works when I can see the car from a distance of about 50' from a window in my building. The scheduled option hasn't worked yet. That is my next thing to figure out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Steering wheel is clicky (mechanical clicks not speaker clicks).

Remote climate control works when I can see the car from a distance of about 50' from a window in my building. The scheduled option hasn't worked yet. That is my next thing to figure out.
Well then I have no idea what the other owner meant by "softer" steering wheel buttons, but they also mentioned that the steering wheel buttons no longer have the raised ridges on them in 2020. I can see that looking at photos, the volume control for example on the steering wheel is smooth now instead of having several raised ridges like it did in 2018 and 2019. Maybe that is what the other owner meant by "softer" although that's certainly not the word that I would have used.

There are three ways to use remote climate:

1. Key fob. Press the lock button on the fob, then within a few seconds press and hold the fan button on the fob. The flashers will flash six times to let you know that climate has started. Of course this requires close proximity to the car. It's the fastest and easiest method, I use it for example when going into a store when I expect to be inside less than thirty minutes so that AC keeps running while I am gone. Or if I have just plugged into a free charger but I want to sit in the car for a few minutes before I go inside then I start climate using the fob. Remote climate is the only way to run AC or heat while you are charging since you can't go into READY mode while charging.

2. HondaLink App - Turn On Climate. Like Start Charge and Schedule Charge, this function goes through the Honda server as an intermediary. The app on your phone communicates via standard Internet to the Honda server, you are not communicating directly to the car. Commands that you enter on the phone (like Turn on Climate) go first to the Honda server via Internet, the Honda server then "calls" the car on the AT&T 3G cellular network and passes along the command. When the car receives the "call" from Honda it turns on climate, then it lets the Honda server know this, as well as the current interior temperature, and then it "hangs up" the call. The Honda server then sends this information to your phone, again via standard Internet. If your car is out of cell phone range then the Honda server will not be able to communicate with it, in which case remote climate is not possible and you will get a message back from the Honda server letting you know that.

3. HondaLink - Schedule Climate. This one again starts initially as communication between your phone and the Honda server via standard Internet. However the Honda server does not immediately communicate the schedule to the car. Instead the Honda server waits until the scheduled time, then at the appointed time it "calls" the car and sends the command to turn on climate. At this point your phone can be completely shut off as it's now between the Honda server and the car. If for some reason the server cannot make a cell phone connection with the car at the appointed time, then climate will not run. There are other reasons remote climate might not start though, such as if the HV battery is too low, or if the climate inside the car is already within a certain range of "comfortable" temperature. Note that with remote climate you do not control the temperature, you are only able to tell it to turn on climate and then it will automatically turn on AC or heat if needed to get the car to "comfortable" temperature (whatever it is that Honda considers the range of comfortable temperature".

Sidenote - I should explain Schedule Charge since it's in this same area of how these things work. Unlike the climate schedule, which is stored on the Honda server, the charging schedule is stored in the car itself. In fact you don't even need the app to set the charge schedule you can do that inside the car from the settings menu (in the speedometer display not infotainment). However you can also use the HondaLink app to set the charge schedule, but in this case the Honda server immediately calls the car and sends the new schedule to the car (assuming the server has cellular connection with the car at that moment.). Once a charge schedule is set, it will later run even if the car is no longer in cellular range (like if you set the schedule while in one location then plug in at a different location with no cell coverage). And again your phone can be off at the scheduled start time, since the schedule is stored in the car.

The elephant in the room is the 3G network, which is in the process of being shut down. AT&T currently plans to turn off their 3G network in early 2022, meaning only about and a year and a half left. No word from Honda if our cars can be upgraded to 4G, either free or at a cost to the owner. It is hard to imagine that Honda was putting 3G into some of their cars as late as 2018, but that's because Clarity uses the old Honda infotainment system, which continues apparently into 2021 at least judging by the screenshots on the Honda website. So although it's mind boggling to think, unless Honda tells us otherwise they will be putting a 3G device into 2021 model cars. That could be one reason why HondaLink is free for Clarity, makes it easier for them to pull the plug and say "well you weren't paying for it anyway". I sure hope that's not the end result as I really use scheduled charging and remote climate a lot. All that will be left is the stupid send destination to navigation, which uses Bluetooth connection (as does odometer which is apparently why it is often behind the actual odometer). However someone claimed that if cellular network is not available the car will use WiFi to communicate with the Honda server, but I have never been able to verity that as my car is pretty much never outside of cellular coverage. Also it would be nice to hear that sometime after 2018 Honda started putting 4G into Clarity, but I have not heard even a rumor of that so far. But I hope they do that so that at least the part might be available for older Clarities (although who knows at what cost)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page