New member with (dumb?) questions - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Posts: 7
Question New member with (dumb?) questions

Hi,

I just got a 2018 Clarity delivered by Carvana, and have tried to use the charging timer and the app to charge my car overnight. Two attempts so far, and both resulted in only 31 miles worth of charge. Here are the details of my setup:
Dedicated 120V charger in the garage.
Timer set from 12 midnight to 8am.
Battery level started at zero both times.
31 miles of charge received overnight instead of the expected 48 miles.
Used the same charger I have for my Chevy Volt.

Any suggestions (is there a setting to allow 12A rather than 8A charging?) are most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Barrett
Barrett is offline  
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
obermd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Denver
Posts: 280
How high is the charging bar on the left side of the dashboard display? If it's not at the top then you either need a longer charging period or an L2 EVSE. The Clarity always uses 12 amps on L1 charging unless the EVSE itself only supports 8 amps.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
obermd is online now  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 11:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 69
Barrett

The level 1, 120v unit that comes with the Clarity when new requires ~12 hours to reach max charge. The native L1 charger is rated ~ 12amps.

Try plugging the car in...start the charge... and let it charge till green light goes off/car quits charging on its own (ie) no timer. If it is maxed at 8 amps it'll take a while longer.

Good luck.

Last edited by Clarity_newbie; 08-21-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Clarity_newbie is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
 
4sallypat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southern California
Posts: 354
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarity_newbie View Post
Barrett

The level 1, 120v unit that comes with the Clarity when new requires ~12 hours to reach max charge. The native L1 charger is rated ~ 12amps.

Try plugging the car in...start the charge... and let it charge till green light goes off/car quits charging on its own (ie) no timer. If it is maxed at 8 amps it'll take a while longer.

Good luck.
Yes, this is correct - don't use the timer.
Just plug her in and let her charge all the way until the green light goes out.

L1 charging is slow.

I use a dual voltage charger (Duosida) that has higher current draw for L1 and charges fully in 8-9 hours beating out the Honda OEM charger by 3-4 hours.
4sallypat is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
Used the same charger I have for my Chevy Volt.

Any suggestions (is there a setting to allow 12A rather than 8A charging?)
To make sure your question is clear, you also have a Chevy Volt and you have recently added Clarity to your fleet, and you are charging Clarity using the same EVSE that you use on your Volt. And if I understand correctly you feel that you are getting a slower charge rate in your Clarity than you do when using the same EVSE on your Volt. And although you didn't state it your message implies that using that same charger you are able to fully charge your Volt battery in the same time period (midnight to 8:00 am). Is that a correct summary? Can you tell us something about the EVSE that you are using, is it the original Chevy OEM or something you purchased? Do you know what amps the EVSE is rated for? Also what year is your Volt, the battery sizes in the Volt ranged from 16 to 18 kWh, Clarity has 17 kWh. Although to extend battery life none of them use the full battery capacity, I'm not sure about the Volt but the Clarity uses about 14 kWh of its battery.

Clarity doesn't have an amperage setting, does your Volt? The Clarity will take whatever the EVSE provides up to 32 amp. Although for Level 1 the highest EVSE available is 16 amp. The Clarity OEM EVSE is 12 amp. Note that 16 amp charging can only be safely done on a 20 amp circuit, per the electrical code continuous power on a circuit should not exceed 80% of the circuit capacity, thus 16 amp EVSE for a 20 amp circuit, 12 amp EVSE for a 15 amp circuit.

Also any particular charging session does not always run at the same amps the entire time. If the system detects that the battery is getting warm it will turn on a fan and it may slow down the charging rate for a period of time. Also once you get to about 85% the charge rate slows down quite a bit until you get to 100%. Although I would expect the Volt works the same.

All that being said I don't know of any obvious reasons why you seem to experience slower charging with your Clarity than you do using the same charger with your Volt. There might be differences between the two cars that causes it, but also two charge sessions may not be representative it might become more clear after you charge a few more times.
2002 is online now  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
obermd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Denver
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
Hi,

I just got a 2018 Clarity delivered by Carvana, and have tried to use the charging timer and the app to charge my car overnight. Two attempts so far, and both resulted in only 31 miles worth of charge. Here are the details of my setup:
Dedicated 120V charger in the garage.
Timer set from 12 midnight to 8am.
Battery level started at zero both times.
31 miles of charge received overnight instead of the expected 48 miles.
Used the same charger I have for my Chevy Volt.

Any suggestions (is there a setting to allow 12A rather than 8A charging?) are most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Barrett
What generation Volt? I use my Gen2's charger on the Clarity and it charges at 12 amps (based on charge time). I have a Duosida dual voltage charger plugged into a 240V 20amp circuit that I plug my Volt into now. The Clarity's EVSE is sitting behind the driver seat in my Volt along with my 40 ft 10 gauge all weather extension cord. I put my Volt's EVSE on the Clarity because it's a 25 ft cord and the Clarity's is only 12 ft.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)
obermd is online now  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 12:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 33
If the battery is all the way down, 8 hours is not enough time for a full charge with at a 12A L1 rate. A full charge is roughly 15kWh, and at 12A the L1 charge rate is about 1.4kW. So that is about 11 hours. You must already be charging at 12A, because at 8A the L1 charge rate is about 1kW, so you would only get 8kWh in 8 hours. Conservatively figure 3 miles/kWh, so that would be good for only about 24 miles of EV range. If you need to be ready to drive at 8am, you would need to start your charge cycle earlier in the evening.
60Hertz is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
obermd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Denver
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
To make sure your question is clear, you also have a Chevy Volt and you have recently added Clarity to your fleet, and you are charging Clarity using the same EVSE that you use on your Volt. And if I understand correctly you feel that you are getting a slower charge rate in your Clarity than you do when using the same EVSE on your Volt. And although you didn't state it your message implies that using that same charger you are able to fully charge your Volt battery in the same time period (midnight to 8:00 am). Is that a correct summary? Can you tell us something about the EVSE that you are using, is it the original Chevy OEM or something you purchased? Do you know what amps the EVSE is rated for? Also what year is your Volt, the battery sizes in the Volt ranged from 16 to 18 kWh, Clarity has 17 kWh. Although to extend battery life none of them use the full battery capacity, I'm not sure about the Volt but the Clarity uses about 14 kWh of its battery.
I get the same rate in the Clarity as with my Volt when using any of my three EVSEs plugged into a 120v 20 amp circuit, assuming I tell the Volt to charge at 12 amps. The Clarity appears to not have the 8 amp option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
Clarity doesn't have an amperage setting, does your Volt? The Clarity will take whatever the EVSE provides up to 32 amp. Although for Level 1 the highest EVSE available is 16 amp. The Clarity OEM EVSE is 12 amp. Note that 16 amp charging can only be safely done on a 20 amp circuit, per the electrical code continuous power on a circuit should not exceed 80% of the circuit capacity, thus 16 amp EVSE for a 20 amp circuit, 12 amp EVSE for a 15 amp circuit.
The Gen 2 (2016-2019) Volt defaults to 8 amps when using L1 charging. This is to protect older house wiring that is barely up to code for 15 amp circuits. There is an override that you can set to use 12 amps at your "home". The Home setting has to be redone every 90 days. The EVSE that ships with the Gen 2 Volt is also capable of charging at 220V 12 amps with an appropriate adapter. I use a Duosida charger that gives me 16 amps on my 20 amp 240V circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 View Post
Also any particular charging session does not always run at the same amps the entire time. If the system detects that the battery is getting warm it will turn on a fan and it may slow down the charging rate for a period of time. Also once you get to about 85% the charge rate slows down quite a bit until you get to 100%. Although I would expect the Volt works the same.

All that being said I don't know of any obvious reasons why you seem to experience slower charging with your Clarity than you do using the same charger with your Volt. There might be differences between the two cars that causes it, but also two charge sessions may not be representative it might become more clear after you charge a few more times.
Sorry if I was confusing. Here's my EVSE setup:

- GM/Volt EVSE: 120V 8/12 amp or 240V 12 amp charging. This is currently the EVSE I use on the Clarity when at home as it plugs into a 120V 20 amp circuit.
- Clarity EVSE: 120V 12 amps.
- Duosida EVSE: 120/240V 16 amps charging. This is the EVSE I use daily for my Volt and is plugged into a 240V 20 amp outlet.

I use the GM and Duosida EVSEs because the outlets are inside the garage and the cars are on the driveway. These two EVSEs have 25 ft cables so they reach. I mounted cable management on the outside of both sides of the garage door. My wife doesn't want the birds pooping on her Clarity so it's on the 120V side of the driveway and my Volt is on the 240V side (under the tree). Both circuits were installed to be 20 amp circuits to drive Christmas lights. As such, they're 10 gauge 4 strand wire direct from the breaker box to the outlet. The 120V has my sprinkler system hard wired into it at the outlet so I couldn't convert it to 240V. Max current draw from my sprinkler controller is less than 5 amps, and then for only about 30 seconds at a time. The other circuit has been converted to a 240V circuit specifically to support the Duosida EVSE.

The Clarity's EVSE, which has a 12 ft. cable, plus a 40 ft. bright yellow 10 gauge 3 strand all weather extension cord are on the floorboard behind the driver's seat in my Volt, but I move it to the Clarity when we road trip in the Clarity. The Duosida came with a hard sided case - that's where I put the Clarity's EVSE to keep it clean.

As far as I can tell, all three EVSEs charge the two cars at the same speed as long as I remember to tell the Volt to use 12 amps on L1 charging. The Clarity fully charges a little faster because the battery is about 800 Wh smaller, but the charge rates appear to be the same. The Duosida maxes out my Volt's charging speed so I had no reason to install a larger circuit. I set my Volt's departure time to 5 AM so it won't start charging until after midnight, well after high usage. The Clarity is set to charge as soon as I plug it in as it normally sits on an L1 charger.
2002 likes this.

2018 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV - Forest Green w/Tan interior (wife's car)
2017 Volt LT - Heather Gray; black bow ties, Charcoal VoltShelf
2012 Cruze ECO MT (hail totaled 5/8/17 103,600 miles @42.5 MPG)
2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
2002 Pont Montana AWD - title to son at college graduation
1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Last edited by obermd; 08-27-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: clarity and typo correction
obermd is online now  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by obermd View Post
The Gen 2 (2016-2019) Volt defaults to 8 amps when using L1 charging. This is to protect older house wiring that is barely up to code for 15 amp circuits.
I'm guessing that another reason is because a lot of people plug into non-dedicated 120V circuits. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but I suspect most people have no idea what other devices may be on the circuit that they are plugging the EVSE into. I had long ago made a circuit map for my house, testing each outlet and fixture to verify what circuit they were on, rather than relying on the vague label that is on the panel. I was surprised to discover that my garage outlet (there is only one) is on the same 15 amp circuit as the basement. I run a dehumidifier in the basement so I now have that on a timer so that it doesn't run during hours that I will be charging the Clarity.

As a side note, I like the timer that I found online to use with the dehumidifier, BN-LINK model BND/U78 Outdoor Heavy Duty Digital Programmable Timer. I am using it indoors but I like the display and features and how it wall mounts.
obermd likes this.
2002 is online now  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Posts: 7
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I switched to the EVSE that came with the Clarity and got the same result.
Based on other replies i have come to the conclusion that I just need to charge more than 8 hours, which is a bummer, as I am on a time of use rate.
Barrett is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Member Losthuy New Member Introductions 1 12-29-2019 11:31 AM
New member of Clarity 18 houssamattal New Member Introductions 2 11-22-2019 08:15 PM
Thinking of buying a Clarity. Some questions. bobwilson1977 2018+ Honda Clarity General Discussion 10 06-19-2019 02:12 PM
New Member danrs New Member Introductions 3 03-07-2019 04:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome