Hello from MI - 2018 Honda Clarity Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Hello from MI

I think the Clarity Touring could be my next car purchase. I have a Chevy Bolt (86k miles) so Iím used to EVs. I have a JuiceBox in the garage and LOVE it.

I have to climb a serious hill in that MI Honda dealers donít seem to carry them. Iím told by a couple of them itís not worth it to jump through the hoops to get one for me. As a result I may have to figure another way to get one. I had the same issues with the Bolt when I got it three years ago. GM wouldn't sell it here in MI for also most a year so I decided to go to VA to make a purchase.

Any pertinent insight would be greatly appreciated.

Any MI owners here to offer guidance?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome aboard.

Good choice on a PHEV.

From what other forum members have found, purchasing from CA is about the only way you will be able to get one as local dealers may not want to order one.

Here's a recent post from a east coast member that was able to have the Clarity shipped from California:
https://www.clarityforum.com/forum/2...-can-done.html
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 03:39 PM

In 2019 it was nearly impossible to order a Clarity outside of California. Dealers usually claimed they couldn't, whether that was literally true or whether Honda just made it unattractive for them we don't know. But whatever it was something seems to have changed when the 2020 model came out as many people are now reporting that they can find a dealer willing to order one. Not all dealers will though so you may have to try several dealers. If they say they tried before and couldn't, ask them if that was last year, if so tell them to please check again because Honda seems to have opened things up a bit more in 2020.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2020, 06:48 PM

We were able to order a 2020 Touring in Washington State. We had to call around just about every dealer in the area. Some did not even know what Clarity was. We did find a dealer who was willing to order one (full MSRP) from Japan. It took about a month and a half for the car to get built, shipped, and delivered to the dealership.

While we did not get any "deals", we also did not have to fly to California and drive it back / ship it.

After we did our order, I did start seeing some 2019 California leftovers started to show up around here as well but it seemed like they were mostly Black or White base models. We got the gray Touring.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
so I decided to go to VA to make a purchase.
Just did a search on Cargurus.com and VA does, indeed, seem to be the closest place to you that has some 2019 leftovers. All the 2020 models are in WA and CA.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

With so many 2019s lying around, that may be the easiest path to a purchase. What, if any, differences are there between the 2019 and a 2020 models?

Dayle Frame
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
With so many 2019s lying around, that may be the easiest path to a purchase. What, if any, differences are there between the 2019 and a 2020 models?
No changes from 2019 to 2020, other than apparently some type of change to the pedestrian warning sound.

You will likely get a better deal on a 2019 but you should also factor in how old the car is. 2019's were manufactured from December 2018 through December 2019 so there is quite a difference in age with some on dealer lots being a few months old and some being over a year old. The concern is the possibility of the battery having sat for months discharged since a lot of dealers are careless about it, and no way to really know. If a car is several months old, no matter what the dealer claims you will want to see results of the battery capacity test before purchasing. Typical new batteries test at around 55 Ah. Warranty replacement occurs if it is below 36.6 Ah. Most people who have the capacity test done even a year after purchase are just below 55 Ah. So if a "new" 2019 tests much below that it would be an indication that the battery has degraded more than average and would probably be best avoided.

The manufacture date is on the placard on the driver door jamb, of course if you are looking at cars listed in other states you can't see the door jamb, but you can get a general idea from the last six digits of the VIN number, which in model year 2019 ranged from 000001 to just over 007000. I have tracked a few sample VIN numbers listed below:

VIN - Mfg Date
006401 10/19
005501 8/19
004669 7/19
003044 5/19
001598 3/19
000971 1/19
000035 12/18
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Last month my local Honda dealer told me no dealers in MI had any Claritys and that the closest one was in Lancaster, OH. As luck would have it, that was on the way home from a business trip. I took a test drive and liked what I saw. I told the sales kid that I wanted a Touring in red or green for my wife to drive.

Today he calls me saying just that. A green one was on its way from japan and would be on his lot in three or four weeks. But as these were so hot, he could only offer me $750 off MSRP. KBB says the 2019s are running 10% below MSRP but they have no numbers for the 2020s.

I had contemplated flying to Boston or WDC and driving one back from the east coast.....this is clearly much easier. Thatís definitely worth something.

Are others getting a lot more discount than this? Is he shading their popularity? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dayle

Dayle Frame
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Good to hear other states have them arriving!

As for pricing, you should shop around even if they are out of state.

Make sure you check about sales/use tax and registration/DMV fees for those other states - some states like CA won't let you get a refund if you take delivery in CA.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
Make sure you check about sales/use tax and registration/DMV fees for those other states - some states like CA won't let you get a refund if you take delivery in CA.
As far as I know California is the only state that charges sales tax even if the car is not registered there, I have never heard of any other state doing this. That's why no one initially believes it when first warned about it. I'm not saying someone shouldn't check to be sure but people buy cars out of state all the time and other than California I have never heard of someone having an issue with being forced to pay sales tax to the state where the car was purchased.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page