Honda Clarity Forum banner

Future Owner

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  neckta 
#1 ·
Just put a deposit on a 2020 Touring. Now we wait. They will tell me when VIN is assigned and production slot is confirmed.

Currently driving a 2007 Subaru Forester burning 16mpg on 26 mile daily commute. It's going to be painful filling it with Dino-Juice for the next couple months or so. Hopefully, with my new magic carpet, I can go a whole week without Dino-Juice stops.

#2 ·
Just put a deposit on a 2020 Touring. Now we wait. They will tell me when VIN is assigned and production slot is confirmed.
That's interesting that you found a dealer willing to place an order because most people report that dealers either refuse or else claim that they can't be ordered. Were there any other dealers that you contacted that were willing to place an order or was this the only one? Were they willing to discount any off of MSRP?

In December a very few 2019's mainly base models were shipped to a few dealers in Washington. I wonder if the dealer is just assuming because of that that they will be able to order 2020's, or I wonder if they have information that it will be available.

#3 ·
We pretty much have to call around every dealer in the four county areas. Some didn't know what Clarity was (or maybe pretended so that they don't have to deal with us). We found one that said something like "Oh, interesting. Let me look into that..." And what ensued was a few weeks of constant "nagging" for updates and process checks ending up with them finally figuring out how to get one. No discount. Pay straight up MSRP or no deal. I believe this is not an assumption on their part since they had to do a lot of calling around, negotiating, escalating to make it happen. I asked them if they wanted me to spread the word that they can do this and their response, both the actual sales manager, and the general manager in unison was "Oh, lord, please DON'T!!"

So, the outtake is, there is a way. But it is clearly not simple, and the impression I have is that had they known what they were getting themselves into, they wouldn't have done it. But they have my money and I have the agreement in hand.

Since we never thought we would actually buy a new car in our lifetime, so, I suppose we had to make it a special unicorn. I will believe it when I have the key (fob) in my hand, sitting in one.

#5 ·
We pretty much have to call around every dealer in the four county areas. Some didn't know what Clarity was (or maybe pretended so that they don't have to deal with us). We found one that said something like "Oh, interesting. Let me look into that..." And what ensued was a few weeks of constant "nagging" for updates and process checks ending up with them finally figuring out how to get one. No discount. Pay straight up MSRP or no deal. I believe this is not an assumption on their part since they had to do a lot of calling around, negotiating, escalating to make it happen. I asked them if they wanted me to spread the word that they can do this and their response, both the actual sales manager, and the general manager in unison was "Oh, lord, please DON'T!!"

So, the outtake is, there is a way. But it is clearly not simple, and the impression I have is that had they known what they were getting themselves into, they wouldn't have done it. But they have my money and I have the agreement in hand.
That helps explain why orders outside of California are so rare. The only other time that I remember hearing about was a Crimson Pearl Base in Michigan that was ordered in March 2019, built in May and arrived at the dealer in September, six months after it was ordered. Now part of why it may have taken so long is the original buyer cancelled after ten weeks when the dealer could not give them any status update, so they purchased one in New York. So I'm thinking after it was built the car spent some time in California, then being unsold went to the Michigan dealer who ordered it. It took them about a month to sell it. By the way that is apparently one reason dealers are shy about ordering Clarity in other parts of the country is they don't want to get stuck with the car if the buyer cancels.

Moral of the story is if a couple of months passes and your dealer doesn't have any updates, as long as they say the order is still in place then probably it will eventually arrive. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.

#4 ·
Wow, I am surprised that a car dealer would turn down business.

For a dealer to sell the car at MSRP, I would think they would love more business???

Can't believe how difficult it is to get a Clarity outside CA !

#7 · (Edited)
Congratulations on winning the 2020 Touring. That ought to be an excellent addition to your Forester. It appears to be well worth the wait. I would suggest checking your new vehicle's VIN number on an official decoder server once you have it. You will be able to get a better idea of when your car will be delivered if they give you an estimated production date range for it. It would be wonderful if your new hybrid could spend the entire week in a tank. Please let me know when you receive it; I would love to see pictures of your "magic carpet":)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.